Should Normal Mode be removed?

No. Very bad idea.
Normal mode is the base game experience for the newcomers. For us veterans who played Terraria for a long period of time, we got used to its mechanics and quirks, but, when Expert Mode first came out, I'm sure we all faced a lot of trouble trying to get used to the new damage values and difficulty curve.

Now, picture yourself as a first time player who doesn't even know the basics of the game, directly getting thrown into an expert world. That's akin to playing Dark Souls or Cuphead, having to die way too many times in short periods will just push you away from the game and prevent you from further discovery and getting used to it.

Normal mode is indispensable and should never be removed because it allows new players their sweet time to get used to the game and learn about it before moving to harder difficulties, and, in addition to that, it permits veteran players to try challenges or runs without worrying about getting slugged by slimes and the likes.

This entire thread is built on an assumption of 'practically everyone plays expert or master mode'.

It's a worthless thread, and musing on it is even more so, until that assumption has actual numbers.

This entire thread is built on an assumption of 'practically everyone plays expert or master mode'.
Practically everyone DOES play expert tho (master not so much)
i don't agree with removing normal mode, even if it is obscenely easy

And with the normal mode, you can do stupid challenges like "only-slime pet" possible without journey mode (someone will say "you're cheating" if you do this on journey)

On the steam achievements page for Terraria, 52.1% of people have killed at least one boss (Eye of Cthulhu) while only about half (23.5%) have killed the Moon Lord. I assume that people who play on Expert have at least beat the Moon Lord once, so this would show that most people who get into the game can't or won't beat Normal mode.

I would never personally support removing Normal mode, as I never am in favor of removing original Terraria content when there is any other alternative.

Sometimes bugs fixes/optimizations require dramatic fixes to prevent certain issues, but that should always be last-choice scenario.

Simply removing an entire mode for no other reason than "it doesn't serve a purpose" seems like a poor decision to me.

Also, to echo some sentiments here, Expert is NOT the "standard mode for play". The greater majority of players never frequent the forums or Discord, and many of them play on Normal and we never hear of it. Mathbrush's point about the achievements is telling: we dramatically over-estimate how far many people get into the game, because our immediate circle of reference (forums, Discord, etc) has a non-representative sample of more dedicated players.

At this point Normal mode is obsolete. Everyone does Expert and some moved to Master. Most people who play the game for the first time will play on Normal. When Expert is now what is the I feel is the main focus. People who play blind will miss out on a lot of content that is basically now in what people consider the main game mode. While I don't hate Normal mode, lets all admit it, we see it there when we make a new world, but then we go to the right one time and make our world, y'know. This would also be interesting to get some developer insight on it, so if someone can get a developer, I would like to see what they think. While I don't think Normal is useless, I feel like it can cause trouble to new players who want to play the game.
No offense but this is an incredibly ignorant view and I'm very much against removing content just for the sake of removing it.

This is a horrible idea and I'm 100% opposed to it. If you don't like normal mode, don't play it. No one is forcing you to.

The opposite should happen. Expert QoL features like treasure bags should be put into normal. Expert-exclusive items are one thing but there's no good reason normal mode should be more annoying to play.
On the other hand, this is an excellent idea and I wholeheartedly support it. I don't expect it to happen though, you know, since Terraria is basically at the end of its life but still.

Specifically, I support it because it's a QOL thing for multiplayer. It's annoying to be quibbling over loot after every boss just because it's normal mode.

Back
Top Bottom