Showcase [Showcase] 1.3.3 Streamlined Bidirectional Automatic Airlock

DrDawgMax

Terrarian
Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I started playing Terraria just a few months ago, so am pretty new to the game as well. I saw the T-MEC compilation video and thought it was awesome. I liked the idea of the automatic airlock that was showcased there.

I was just starting to learn about some of the dummy/hoik logic mechanisms when I realized that the 1.3 logic gates and lamps could greatly simplify the process, so I put together the airlock below, inspired by the original design, apparently by Tymur Prorochenko. I did look through his original thread explaining the mechanism, but I can't find that anymore (not sure if it was deleted?). I have linked his youtube video below, though.

My design, shown in the two pictures below, essentially uses the same logic as his, but I've replaced most of the hoik/dummy mechanics with a simple 4 gate system.

Explanation:
I use 4 "AND" gates with 2 lamps on each. The top lamps check whether the chamber is filled with water (determined by the "liquid sensor (water)") and the bottom lamp checks whether the player is above the appropriate door (determined by the "Logic Sensor (Player Above)"). The dummy hoik system makes sure the pump drains quickly, and the lava on the right prevents duplication of liquid, just as with the previous design. (I didn't realize why I kept getting obsidian for a while, until I learned that you have to actuate the background block behind the lava.)

Note that using AND gates, the lamps that check water level are in opposite states, so that only one gate will be opened at a time. Also note that you need two water sensors; one to put at the top and check that the chamber is full, and the other to put at bottom and check that it's empty.

Alternate Configurations:
It may be doable to remove the hoik dummy by adding two more sets of pumps, as that might allow for drainage in a single tic. I haven't checked this yet.
Also, AND gates were the easiest to work with for me, but this could easily be done using different kinds of gates as well.
I initially tried to consolidate this further by having more lamps and fewer gates, so that one set of lamps would trigger a different gate depending on the configuration of lamp states, but I couldn't think of a way to make that work. If anyone else has ideas I'd be interested in hearing about them.

As far as I know this is an original design using logic gates; the first update to Tymur's previous design. Let me know what you guys think!

index.php
index.php

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, you will find we are all pretty helpful and experienced, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, I'm best with Logic Gates. I'm sure some other members are more seasoned in hoiktronics. Nice airlock keep up the creativity!

This is very cool!

I built one based on this design and, like you, I kept making obsidian at first.

I actuated the last piece of obsidian I made and then re-installed the lava. Everything now works as it should.

Back
Top Bottom