Showcase [Showcase] 1.3 Pumpkin/Frost Moon New Records Arena

MappyGaming

Plantera
Hi guys, this is my first post. I have made several new records for Pumpkin/Frost moon so just to let you guys know.

My Videos:

My Arena:
ODpCRRM.png

a80QCzM.png

2saUyF2.png
JjLHcEw.png

You need a Raven Staff (or any kind of minion that cannot pass through blocks), and a Slimy Saddle for receiving invulnerability to dodge Ice Queen's attacks. After summoning two ravens into crab chamber, activate the dummy hoik engine (credit: @DicemanX) via the top right switch. You can collect boosters and replenish mana indefinitely without mana potion (credit: @blackshadowwind). You can stack 2 dummies in the same spot by pressing the switch on the bottom right (credit: @inomanoms). In order to receive complete invulnerability, you need to bounce off at least 2 dummies. The top left switch activates the spawn surfaces, and the bottom left switch lets you teleport back to the base.

My goal was to spawn Pumpkings and Ice Queens as far as possible and make them form a straight line, so that I can kill them before they reach me. I came up with this setup thanks to Umami Ayataka, who is the first to bring up the idea of setting the spawn surfaces diagonally beneath the player in his (or her) video. What I did in addition was block unnecessary spawn surfaces with lava, so that mobs can spawn only from 72 tiles to 84 tiles away.

It works perfectly for Pumpkin moon. If you're careful, Pumpkings never reach you even when you have to reload the Last Prism (which lasts only a minute in a continuous way). If you get extremely lucky, you might able to reach final wave before 8:00 pm. It's just a matter of when and how many Mourning Woods spawn from wave 4, and Pumpkings from wave 7.

What troubles me is Ice Queen, for she seems to gradually evade the Last Prism's ray. You can check it in my videos that Ice Queen tries to pass beneath the player if you keep hitting her from the moment she spawned, otherwise she tries to passes through (or even over) the player. So you need to shift the ray down a bit to kill her within the staircase, and which means you can't kill multiple Ice Queens within the staircase unless they are overlapping, or at least fairly close to each other.
I used Slimy Saddle invulnerability machine, to dodge attacks from Ice Queen I failed to kill within the staircase and not to freeze. You have to be careful when you kill her within the staircase while you already have one flying overhead. If you shift the ray down too much, you hit the dummy and your invulnerability frame breaks off (Like 6:32 and 9:28 of my video). Thanks to the indication of @stefnotch and @inomanoms in this thread, I can now stack 2 dummies in the exact same spot. No need to worry about too much shifting anymore!:happy:

Oh and sorry for my bad English. It's not my first language so please bear with me.

Last edited:
What is interesting is that this method caps the item limit over and over. If you watch the video, items disappear even as the lava burns off the non-essentials (wood, hearts, etc.). From the YouTube comments with DicemanX, 144 plat a night is your current cap—this could be the cap in profits off Pumpkin Moon. Outstanding machine. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, great work! I wish I was that good at creating farms and arenas, because I really suck at it. Also, seeing that slime invincibility got me thinking about another playthrough type - The coward! He has little to no armour, uses as many cheap tactics as possible such as invincibility and running/hiding against bosses, and has severely underpowered weapons. That could be interesting to try out some time.

Oh and also, your English is just fine! Probably even better than a lot of the posts I've seen before :p

What stops mobs spawning on the blocks above the lava on the staircase?

They're bubble blocks, the only thing that can actually touch them are liquids. Since they aren't solid blocks, mobs won't spawn on them.

Or at least it's something along those lines....

They're bubble blocks, the only thing that can actually touch them are liquids. Since they aren't solid blocks, mobs won't spawn on them.

Or at least it's something along those lines....
So they act like background objects, except for liquids?

This is awesome stuff, nicely done.

Odd thing this is though, I've run it quite past a minute. You're still holding and it just stops?
Thanks! More precisely, you can keep holding it as long as you want to, but its ray turns off after a minute of continuous use and will continue to consume mana.
Here's a "little" gif to watch it in action:
Do you happen to know a way to avoid it?

Wellll, had to re-test it to make sure I wasn't mistaken, but turns out, I was =( Sorry to be misleading. My star engine is star-statue-based still (really need to change that) because it's attached to the heart engine (not using invulnerability) so when it gets blocked, I have to move to get mob stars. Eventually it becomes useless... but anyway, having to move distracts me from the time, and firing failure apparently, so didn't notice it until this test.

Update: Upon further testing with a similar crab machine, traps will also appear to generate stars with statue mobs. Oddity though, it's not consistent (with one statue at least). On occasion I ran out of mana and killed 4-6 before getting a star. Had the same thing happen with a minion though, so not sure what the deal is.
Update 2: And apparently lava too, in a thin layer, with similar inconsistency.

Last edited:
Sorry to be misleading.
It's OK. I was just kinda hoping you've found a way to run it seamlessly because it has been ruining my potential record runs... but oh well.:) Perhaps there's no such way.

Update: Upon further testing with a similar crab machine, traps will also appear to generate stars with statue mobs. Oddity though, it's not consistent (with one statue at least). On occasion I ran out of mana and killed 4-6 before getting a star. Had the same thing happen with a minion though, so not sure what the deal is.
Update 2: And apparently lava too, in a thin layer, with similar inconsistency.
I have tested and it happened to me too. But oddly enough, I have never run out of mana with minion setup. I think further research is needed for this matter.

Last edited:
Perhaps there's no such way

Aye, tis a bummer. The wiki isn't quite accurate to the weapon (still says super mana potions are the only effective way to continuously fire; HA, nope) but it does mention the beam-shut-off-still-spending-mana thing. Lunar flare is pretty sweet for the events too but not as epic, or crowd effective of course.

I think further research is needed

I've done some runs with 3 crab statues into the thin lava and I haven't run out it seems (though, to not mislead again, will test many more times). But it does seem to drop Nebula less often so will continue testing that part.

Could the whole diagonal surface not be a conveyor belt? That way you wouldn't lose any items due to the item limit in the game.

Also, how were you collecting the banners when they weren't dropping anywhere near you?

Hey Mappy, Does this still work? If so could you make a TEdit schematic of this farm?:)
Yes it does, but this arena is kinda out of date. Back in 1.3.1 update I upgraded it with conveyor belt so I could farm the items. Here are the schematic of it and the video. You can also download the map from the video description.

Can’t you set up hoiks to dump the useless items in the lava?
[doublepost=1510278462,1510278386][/doublepost]
Or hoik the ENEMIES up to you to get extra damage from traps or bubbled lava?
I don't actually see the point of it, now that we have the conveyor belt.

Could the whole diagonal surface not be a conveyor belt? That way you wouldn't lose any items due to the item limit in the game.

Also, how were you collecting the banners when they weren't dropping anywhere near you?
I actually made them be, back in 1.3.1 update. This thread was posted over a year ago.

They made banners automatically appear on every 50th kill in 1.3 update in PC version.

Back
Top Bottom