Showcase [Showcase] Cyclic memory and scrolling text

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
What is cyclic memory? Well for starters is a term I just made up. :p But it looks like this:
Cyclic1.png

Each switch in the main row controls a torch, representing 1 bit of memory. Press the switch on the left and all the torches cycle to the right, wrapping around as the they reach the end. Even though I designed this, when I first saw the result I was initially confused why the logic lamps don't seem to match the torches. It turns out that what happens is each logic lamp stores the difference between the two torches on either side. But anyway, it works:
Cyclic2.png

The top switch is a reset of sorts, if you press that everything shifts to the right, but in effect lit torches "drop off" the right edge instead of wrapping. (Actually it does wrap, but then the first torch is turned off, if it went on.)
Anyway, here's the wiring:
CyclicW.png

You can also make a super compact version:
CyclicCNW.png
CyclicCWW.png

This uses all 4 wire colors though and it's a bit hard to work with.

Finally, a "practical" application, scrolling text!

ManaScrollSim.gif

Thumbnails, because these are big:
ManaScrollNW.png ManaScrollWW.png

But scrolling lights or text is only the most obvious use. It could be used for any situation where you want to store a series of values and later act on them in the same order.

Last edited:
That's funny how it takes so much wiring for a sign like this. I was working on a similar device but for something completely different.

Using the compact version, could the whole thing be completely tileable (minus whatever's on the edges, like the timer, etc.)?

Using the compact version, could the whole thing be completely tileable (minus whatever's on the edges, like the timer, etc.)?
If you mean for text, the trouble is, for four pixels high, you need two rows of memory on each side (above and below) I don't see how one row could "reach through" the other when they're packed solid. So you'd only be able to do "text" that was 2 pixels high... Morse Code? :merchantwink:

It's possible there's some crazy solution... portal gun stations and teal pressure plates maybe? But they can't fire downwards.

The other way you could tile it would be to keep the memory spaced out, but make the pixels double-wide (and optionally double-tall).

Last edited:
OMG you are a genius, this could solve everything for my project: the terrarian rubik's cube. could you help me and idkwhoiam129 with this insane project?

OMG you are a genius, this could solve everything for my project: the terrarian rubik's cube. could you help me and idkwhoiam129 with this insane project?
I could try... but I honestly think I'm better at the small-scale stuff. Of course a large build can still contain smaller "modules" so maybe I can be of some use. You should also know I've never solved a rubik's cube without following a walk-through. :p

Back
Top Bottom