Showcase [Showcase] Pong in Terraria!

idkwhoiam129

Steampunker
Pong in Terraria

This is by far the most complicated build I have done so far in Terraria! I've put together a game of Pong. It uses a quad-direction diagonal 2D matrix in order to move the ball, and functions using dummy ghosts, hoiks, and teleporters! Pong is a 2 player game originally by Atari. Each player controls a paddle, and have to hit a ball back and forth. If the ball gets past your side, you lose. If you get the ball past the opponent's side, you win.

Download: http://bit.ly/2anVB6E

207b5ef60f.png

789379a417.png

fb1f39d4b0.png

cde0a0f10c.png

6f24ae599a.png

dd140d17a1.png

Wha- Whu- Why are you?

Seriously, shouldn't you be out there getting a PhD in electronics and computer sciences or something?
Well, I start college next month, and I'm going in to computer science, sooooo :p

Spoiler won't show, because of typo, kek.
But anyway, this is amazing. I still don't understand how people manage to make stuff like this in Terraria...it's like, breaking physics! :p
I noticed it and you ninja'd me before I could fix it haha :p

Darn, you beat me to it. I was planning on making Pong with my own shift register after I finished my calculator. I guess I'll try making Breakout or Space Invaders instead.
Also, I forgot to mention before that you are free to use my shift register if you want. You can do a diagonal shift with it by performing a horizontal and vertical shift in the same tick (as I've discovered that you actually can trigger logic lamps twice in one tick, as long as you don't make an infinite loop).

Darn, you beat me to it. I was planning on making Pong with my own shift register after I finished my calculator. I guess I'll try making Breakout or Space Invaders instead.
Also, I forgot to mention before that you are free to use my shift register if you want. You can do a diagonal shift with it by performing a horizontal and vertical shift in the same tick (as I've discovered that you actually can trigger logic lamps twice in one tick, as long as you don't make an infinite loop).
Ahh, I was planning on making space invaders next XD I already started on it actually. Maybe would you like to team up and work together on it?

Last edited:
Ahh, I was planning on making space invaders next XD I already started on it actually. Maybe would you like to team up and work together on it?

Sure. I'll probably be working on my calculator most of the time, though I can help you out whenever you need it. To start off, you could probably use mine or Niranufoti's shift register to move the aliens around (while making checks to ensure that they don't move off the sides). You could also use darts and pressure plates as projectiles, and faulty lamp randomizers to make the aliens shoot randomly. You could use your DDR control room and a bit shifter to move the player around and shoot by jumping.

Sure. I'll probably be working on my calculator most of the time, though I can help you out whenever you need it. To start off, you could probably use mine or Niranufoti's shift register to move the aliens around (while making checks to ensure that they don't move off the sides). You could also use darts and pressure plates as projectiles, and faulty lamp randomizers to make the aliens shoot randomly. You could use your DDR control room and a bit shifter to move the player around and shoot by jumping.
That's essentially what I was planning on doing :) However, I'm not sure how I could layer the aliens vertically. The projectile would have to be able to pass through other aliens, but each alien would require a teal pressure plate. If I were to try to actuate the block, the pressure plate would fall off.

That's essentially what I was planning on doing :) However, I'm not sure how I could layer the aliens vertically. The projectile would have to be able to pass through other aliens, but each alien would require a teal pressure plate. If I were to try to actuate the block, the pressure plate would fall off.

You could put the pressure plate on the side of a block right below each alien (hiding the block and plate with shadow paint) and have the cells with no aliens be actuated so that the dart passes through them. Just be sure to delay the actuation so that the dart does not keep moving forward after it kills an alien.

You could put the pressure plate on the side of a block right below each alien (hiding the block and plate with shadow paint) and have the cells with no aliens be actuated so that the dart passes through them. Just be sure to delay the actuation so that the dart does not keep moving forward after it kills an alien.
Ahh, yes, that works fine! Thanks :) However, those can only be activated ever 3 1/3 seconds. I'm trying spears instead since they can activate every 1.5 sec, but those have a very limited range.

Last edited:
what do i have to say about this?
oh yeah
"bloop"
"TerrariaCeption - Coming Soon"
"Such machine much wow"
IGN 7.5/10 not enough BLOOP

ahh, I was thinking of a variation of Snake, but.. it would have to be a variation of it. The snake would get bigger by 1 every time you move, instead of eating 1 and getting larger. man... there are so many minigames to make

ahh, I was thinking of a variation of Snake, but.. it would have to be a variation of it. The snake would get bigger by 1 every time you move, instead of eating 1 and getting larger. man... there are so many minigames to make
Remember how at first you couldn't think of any ideas when I said you should try to make some mini games in Terraria? Well like I said, "There are tons of things that can be done in Terraria. You have already made a big computer thingy, now you just need to build it into some kind of system for a game."
The possibilities are endless.
`:)

@idkwhoiam129
Holy . Can't believe in my knowledge anymore ...
Anyway , how can i change the control by pressing W/S (like the Guitar Hero one) instead of clicking the level ?

Wow... amazing... you must truly have no life. Every time I check on the forums you've come out with a new game XD. Only thing I can see to improve it would be changing the way the controls work. ( I know I have no business trying to correct your design) Instead of having the paddle be controlled by levers, have the player sit on a rope that is in a cut out piller off to the side where they would normally stand to control the game. Along the side of the shaft have player sensitive pressure plates on platforms. The whole side of the shaft would be lined with them and when you touched one it would move the paddle up, or down, to center on the position of the pressure plate that you hit. So instead of clicking each switch to move the paddle you would really just be using the up and down keys on the keyboard. If you can move the paddle too quickly with this setup either just space out the pressure plates a good bit (with a longer shaft), or fill in all the empty space on the side of the two block wide shaft with the pressure plates with bubble blocks, and the side with the rope with some liquid (depends on how slow you want it to go). Just an idea. Probably a pain to make, and probably makes no difference, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Wow... amazing... you must truly have no life. Every time I check on the forums you've come out with a new game XD. Only thing I can see to improve it would be changing the way the controls work. ( I know I have no business trying to correct your design) Instead of having the paddle be controlled by levers, have the player sit on a rope that is in a cut out piller off to the side where they would normally stand to control the game. Along the side of the shaft have player sensitive pressure plates on platforms. The whole side of the shaft would be lined with them and when you touched one it would move the paddle up, or down, to center on the position of the pressure plate that you hit. So instead of clicking each switch to move the paddle you would really just be using the up and down keys on the keyboard. If you can move the paddle too quickly with this setup either just space out the pressure plates a good bit (with a longer shaft), or fill in all the empty space on the side of the two block wide shaft with the pressure plates with bubble blocks, and the side with the rope with some liquid (depends on how slow you want it to go). Just an idea. Probably a pain to make, and probably makes no difference, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I tried something like that and there were a few problems with it. He kind of stole the idea to make Pong in Terraria from me. But my idea was to use active/inactive blocks and waterbolts for the dots. I might try a few different ideas I have to make my own version later on when I have some time.

@idkwhoiam129
Holy . Can't believe in my knowledge anymore ...
Anyway , how can i change the control by pressing W/S (like the Guitar Hero one) instead of clicking the level ?
Well, it would have to be set up that way :p I didn't use it for this because I felt levers would work much better.
you must truly have no life. Every time I check on the forums you've come out with a new game XD.
Ehh, I just work on this stuff in my free time :p It's currently summer and college doesn't start for another month so I've gpt a bit of time to work on these things :)

Instead of having the paddle be controlled by levers, have the player sit on a rope that is in a cut out piller off to the side where they would normally stand to control the game. Along the side of the shaft have player sensitive pressure plates on platforms.
well, that sure would be an interesting way to do it, but I'm not sure how well it would work :p the screen would follow the player's movement which might make it hard to see the display. Also, I think the player might get stuck on the platforms when trying to go downwards

well, that sure would be an interesting way to do it, but I'm not sure how well it would work :p the screen would follow the player's movement which might make it hard to see the display. Also, I think the player might get stuck on the platforms when trying to go downwards

I don't think platforms stop you if the rope goes through without any breaks in it. Doesn't really matter though.

Back
Top Bottom