[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

Hi @tbone06

Going from the original schematic, which has the top of the biome 11 blocks up from the upper pool's platform, you could lower it so that the top of the biome was 3 blocks below that platform or a total of 14 blocks lower than originally. I'm just whipping this out so it might be off by a block or two.

In any case you do now want *any* corruption/crimson within 43 blocks vertically/50 horizontally of your houses so it I would separate your base from the biome part by at least that much. Also, each sunflower cancels out some number (40?) of evil blocks that are within its range and so messes up the biome as you've seen.

-- @PapaBear :merchantindifferent:

great project and great guide @PapaBear just a quick note for those who are curious, - if you build this setup near the dungeon you can include dungeon crate fishing provided you can dig out a section of dungeon brick and stand against the natural dungeon wall (this is the determining factor when fishing for dungeon crates)

@PapaBear Fantastic guide! I'm probably gonna build myself one of these. I kinda hate chasing all over the map for the right biomes... this will simplify things greatly! About the only thing that could make it quicker is a teleporter to the cavern pool (which I am going to include for myself).

I also agree with @ZeroGravitas that you could prettify the guide itself a little but you said you're gonna work on that.

(Sorry for the necro)

I noticed you said to always put the Crimson blocks nearer than the Corruption ones. This isn't the case, although a superficial glance at the algorithm could easily give you that impression. Corruption does not have automatic precedence over Crimson. Instead, if you're standing in both biomes, it "flips a coin" to decide which one to generate a catch from. This also applies to quest fish. Since the Angler will never ask for a fish belonging to the non-native biome, the native biome should be built closest to the pools. In the pictures provided in the original post, the arrangement is appropriate for a Crimson world. For a Corruption world, they should be switched to make quest fishing easier.

The trick here, of course, is that by putting the native biome closer in, you can stand on a section of your platform that is totally dedicated to that biome. It makes catching fish of the non-native biome slightly harder, though.

The only reason I'd recommend doing it the other way around is if you only care about catching potion fish from the non-native biome, and can't be bothered to do the Angler quests. In that case, it would be easiest to catch the potion fish you want with the non-native biome placed on the inside.

Hey mate, I made this account just to say 2 things, firstly, this is absolutely amazing! Fantastic job on the fishing spot, I always find myself trying to make pretty little houses around the map that get taken over by hollow or crimson/corruption, so this helps a lot. Secondly in sections A, B and C why is the snow separated like that? Does it serve a function or it just more aesthetically pleasing? Again mate, what an amazing creation!!

@condacis,

Welcome to the T-MEC forum.

I believe the strategic spreading out of the snow blocks in the build has been done to satisfy two conditions:
1) To provide a snow biome for fishing in an appropriate vertical space of the build, and
2) To prevent the crimson/corruption from spreading from crimson/corruption blocks to the jungle blocks without the 4 wide snow block buffer (C)

EDIT: I see this guide was not posted on the T-MEC forum, but the Terraria Guides forum. My apologies.

Last edited:
@inomanoms,

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the response, I really appreciate it. I see that the snow is for the biome and that its also used as a buffer for the crimson/corruption. I'm just wondering why its spaces as 1 block wide column then jungle and then a 3 block column. Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question earlier. In my eye it would be the same if column A was jungle and then B and C would just be snow. Again sorry if its a stupid question, I'm just really curious.

In my eye it would be the same if column A was jungle and then B and C would just be snow. Again sorry if its a stupid question, I'm just really curious.

No problems.

Sure, what you would say would work. But the spacing has been done in the way it has to be so that the biomes in the fishing area are all a uniform 5 spaces wide and that the biome determining blocks fit in a neat package of equal height despite having different minimum required number of blocks. (300 snow, 80 jungle, for example)

Just so that we are on the same page, we have 2 wide snow; 1 wide jungle/1 wide, spaced snow/1 wide jungle; 5 wide snow columns.

does anyone know why mine isn't working? as far as i can tell it should be, but the backgrounds/ music aren't changing.
Capture 2017-08-29 11_09_38.png

Are the biome columns 40 blocks high? My count might be off but it looks like it's a little less than that.

This is awesome! Very nicely done man. And thanks a ton for posting this and providing all the info needed to replicate.
I typically procrastinate completing fishing quests because of not wanting to travel around to biome/depth required. I would just check the fishing quest every now and then until it was a surface forest quest lol. I'm about finished building one of these complex's you designed in my world.​

Music and background changes with a certain number of corrupted blocks.

However, to change the fishes you need even more blocks.

In all likelyhood, there are not enough corrupted blocks on screen and theres enough ice/snow to fish those.

@noovaak69, check if you have a 40 x 5 column of Ebonstone (as per "spec") and, if so, you should have enough to put you into the corruption biome.

I would check to see if you have any sunflowers nearby or even, if you're in hardmode, hallowed blocks within about 50 tiles of your corruption fishing spot.

This is fantastic. I recreated it in my world on the PS4 and am only missing the extra cavern area pool with the underground hallowbiome fishing hole. This is ultra convenient. Thanks for your work.

Doesn't the attachment on the second post work for you? The FishingWorld-2.wld file should be enough if you're on the PC. I'm sorry I can't supply anything for console for mobile Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom