[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

Biome required blocks have increased for most biomes.

Hallow 100->125
Jungle 80->140
Snow 300->1,500
Corruption 200->300
Crimson 200->300

No reported value change on Mushroom, but may be an increase in range?

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I tried 600 blocks of snow and didn’t get the ice biome so I vastly under estimated the chill factor.

These new minimum values mean that the fishing complex can still be tweaked to work! Yay!

:merchantsigh:

Snow will be annoying then... how about Desert/Oasis? Any changes to those?
Desert is now 1,500 up from 1,000. Not sure on oasis, haven't tried making an artificial one yet, but I'd assume you have to at least get desert first, then a certain amount of water, possibly some of the oasis foliage.

Also the range for how far out biome blocks are scanned appears to have changed quite a bit, so in addition to needing more blocks, their positioning relative the fishing pools seems to need adjusting.

20200520013157_1.jpg
20200520013206_1.jpg

So this is what I ended up with for spacing for tundra. That's a 60 block tall biome space on the right; since we know crimson and corruption are 300 blocks, that lets us keep the 5 block width span.

I really like how neatly that came out with the increase in jungle biome bits; nice even rectangle, no leftover parts. (obviously I still need to plant jungle grass; this is a master mode world and I am not yet ready to go to that terrible place)

Edit: Update with my corruption added (and behaving as desired). At this point I'm fairly confident this side of things is worked out, I just need to collect jungle grass seeds, and eventually work out the placement of the mushroom biome (although I might let someone else do that math for me XD)

20200520023852_1.jpg

20200520023854_1.jpg

index.php

Attachments

• 20200520023913_1.jpg
    20200520023913_1.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 1,594
Last edited:
So it's now 85 tiles width that is checked for tiles? Any change on the vertical spacing for the mushroom biome?

I thought it was 60 tiles vertically but not sure of that now after hacking together a new fishing complex using TEdit. The mushroom biome seemed to be about 68 but still not sure as I am in the mushroom biome but am not seeming to be able to catch the Amanita Fungifin even though TEdit has set that as the Angler's quest.

[Edit: Update with my corruption added (and behaving as desired). At this point I'm fairly confident this side of things is worked out, I just need to collect jungle grass seeds, and eventually work out the placement of the mushroom biome (although I might let someone else do that math for me XD)

There are issues with jungle grass seeds. First is that jungle grass will not spread to mud that is touching snow or ice and, secondly, jungle grass must breath apparently so it will die and revert to mud if you place at least a snow block (maybe any block?) in the last of the 8 adjoining blocks around it. I suggest an "H" pattern like I have in this hacked up fishing complex I'm attaching.

:merchantsmile:

EDIT: I also have a liquid duplicator in this fishing complex but I think something changed in 1.4 to make my method of duplication very inefficient.

Attachments

• Trial_X.wld
    89.1 KB · Views: 160
I hope the breath is also needed for regular grass... its annoying when you bury the grass on dirt but the grass is still visible beneath the earth.

EDIT: I also have a liquid duplicator in this fishing complex but I think something changed in 1.4 to make my method of duplication very inefficient.
Yes, pump duplication has been made much slower. Block splitting still appears to work fine from my limited tests.

I thought it was 60 tiles vertically but not sure of that now after hacking together a new fishing complex using TEdit. The mushroom biome seemed to be about 68 but still not sure as I am in the mushroom biome but am not seeming to be able to catch the Amanita Fungifin even though TEdit has set that as the Angler's quest.

from my time around the work-in-progress fishing complex in my images, it feels like the scanned distance is different between up and down. I can stand a whole 4 or 5 blocks above the biome box and not be in an evil biome, but several blocks below I count as being in said evil. it's weird.

There are issues with jungle grass seeds. First is that jungle grass will not spread to mud that is touching snow or ice and, secondly, jungle grass must breath apparently so it will die and revert to mud if you place at least a snow block (maybe any block?) in the last of the 8 adjoining blocks around it. I suggest an "H" pattern like I have in this hacked up fishing complex I'm attaching.

I'm not in a position to load that world, any chance of a screenshot?

Revisiting this:

1590027263543.png

I placed a single jungle grass seed on the center of those three mud blocks that now have grass, and it appeared to spread to the ones above and below just as it did before, within minutes.

Several minutes later:
1590027643687.png

Are you certain there's an actual change in behavior here? Because so far it just seems business as usual aside from the increased block requirement.

Here's a picture of a 1.4 fishing complex, minus the mushroom addon (which no longer works in 1.4)...

0fq4vqn.png

A few points

The biome blocks on the right consist of 38 wide by 60 high blocks with 20 columns of snow, 3 of jungle grass (the "H" pattern has 140 jungle grass blocks), 5 more columns of snow, 5 of crimstone and 5 of ebonstone. Not counting walls, it should be separated from the 30 x 10 ponds by 42 tiles. The top of the biome block should be higher than the surface pond and its bottom should be lower than the top of the underground pond.

The ponds and the pearlstone 5 x 25 chunk are separated by 75 tiles, again not counting walls.

In this image, the ponds and biome chunks are at these heights if you were to walk on the top of them...

surface pond: 2' surface (say, by water walking)
underground pond: 28' underground
big biome chunk: 22' surface (ignoring walls)
hallow chunk: 48' underground

(I think I have all that right)

Ignore the liquid duplication lava and honey ponds. 1.4 seems to have made simple pump duplication method very inefficient. I'll be working on that because, why not! I now have all that extra room since the 1.4 changes.

@esotericist : I did this awhile ago but I remember packing in snow before all the jungle grass had spread and seeing that seemed to stop the spread. It might have changed with 1.4 or I might (sigh!) be misremembering.

EDIT Corrected the separation of the big chunk of biome blocks to the fishing ponds to 42 (was 47).

Last edited:
@King_Wataba, here's a grid shot concentrating on the ponds and the biomes...

JmwOApS.png

Hope this helps!

By the way, the world file I attached a few posts back was made with the 1.3.4 version of TEdit. I tested stuff with 1.4 but never saved to it so it is loadable by that version of TEdit.

According to the wiki:

• An artificial Oasis biome can be made by making a large enough body of water in the Desert surface.

With the addition of not only Oasis Crates and Oysters, but also two Quest Fish for the biome, I guess a redesign is in order to include the desert/oasis into the complex.

May I suggest using the space between the pool and the Hallowed Blocks? By adding an extra pool area to the left?

Does Sanstone Brick count towards the total count of biome blocks like Snow Bricks and Ice Bricks do? If so, they can be used next to the Hallowed to prevent infection.

PS: why wasnt the space next to the Hallowed blocks not used for the Mushroom Biome again? They dont get infected through spread...

hi all, finally made an account for this forum

I have been using this lovely one-stop fishing hole design for years now
and am avidly looking forward to a working updated design :D

so yeah, PapaBear, many many MANY thanks for sharing the build, they're long overdue ^_^

did anybody think to put all new working conditions in the one spot?...
aha! I see we already have a working set up for 1.4
Thank you tons PapaBear !

Also a question - do we have the information about what area is scanned to determine biome? as in how far below a character's feet is included?
cause in my rework of your build for 1.3.5x I had it set up so that I could run across the world in the tunnel passing over the blocks that determine biome

this is what it looked like
Kisk Fishing Hole.png

Last edited:
Oasis requires at least a certain amount of water, however given that the complex wants a minimun of 300 water for max efficiency the actual number will long be passed.

A single block of water in a desert will resultin the yellowish water of old rather than Oasis water.

Back
Top Bottom