[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

Wow, busy last night. Good job!

I tried pretty much the same ordering as @Banquish, with the exception that crimson came first and then corruption. I was able to catch all the correct crates and (I think) all of the correct special fish but there are the wrong backgrounds for hallow and jungle as well as the wrong water color for the oasis.

I still am struggling with the mushroom biome and am tempted to throw it out of the complex as too much work for a single quest catch.

:merchantsmile:

EDIT

Here is a chart of the biomes’ overlap, backgrounds and water colors. Common fish (neon, rock lobster, flounder, atlantic cod for example) and some special fish (e.g., frosted dagger fish) can be caught from overlapped biomes. The background and water color differences are purely aesthetic and make no difference as far as the catches go.
BIOMEOVERLAPSBACKGROUNDWATER COLOR
Hallow+jungle +desertdesert muted !hallow
Jungle+desertdesert !jungle
Desertdesertjungle !
Forestforestforest
Iceiceice
Crimson+icecrimsoncrimson
Corruption+ice +crimsoncorruptioncorruption

EDIT2

The mark2 1.4 fishing complex

zpPqya5.png

The attached world was made with the 1.3.4 version of TEdit and tested, but not saved in-game, with 1.4.

Attachments

• Trial_X.wld
    87.8 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
I was able to get every biome's crate, save for crimson (as corruption out-prioritized it).

Just for the record, in my actual live-play world, crimson then corruption in the configuration in the original post (and in my earlier screenshots) lets me get both crimson and corruption crates correctly in 1.4.

so crate priority for crimson and corruption does not appear to have changed with 1.4.

I just noticed that the complex has a pleasing symmetry about it. Not counting the containing walls, there is a 35 wide pool area flanked by two 35 block wide biome towers with a gap of 45 tiles between the pool area and each biome tower. The gaps can left undug or filled with stuff, like lava / honey ponds and liquid duplication mechanisms.

Each of the towers is 35 x 60 and has two outer 5 wide biomes and an inner 25 wide biome. The pool area has two 35 x 9 pools of water on top of each other.

The pools are limited so that the top of the surface pool water has to be at 2’ Surface or above but below the top of the two biome towers. Similarly, the top of underground pool water must be at 0’ Surface or below and must be above the bottom of the biome towers. This means the two pools can be up near the tops of the biome towers or even down near their bottoms. The later case might be interesting if one wanted a huge arena above the pools for blood moon combat.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, speaking of Bloodmoon fishing... to have an Ocean spot in the complex for the Dreadnautilus while retaining the Forest spot is possible, though requiring a precise location.

To fish in the ocean, it has two requirements:

1) 1000 blocks of water (easily solved by increasing the depth of the pool). With all 9 spots at length of 5, thats a depth of 23. If going for an even number for chest placement, 9x6 it just needs a depth of 19.

2) The bobber must be in the ocean biome just like with the depth being calculated by the bobber not the player. (according to the Compass on a large world the Ocean spot must be from 7644 onwards)

I never bothered to check on medium or small worlds, so sorry for not having a precise number.

Do you have a screen shot of how you’d integrate the ocean? I’m having a little trouble seeing how it would work.

With the Hallow overpowering the Oasis, the order of the pools would be the following if including everything:

Hallow > Oasis > Jungle > Glowing Mushroom > Forest < Ocean < Snow < Crimson < Corruption

With Sky and Dungeon having individual fishing spots and a separate Cavern layer pool.

Of course the Glowing Mushroom can be located after the Ocean in place of the original location of Jungle or above the complex as with the original design.

Note: its best to move the Jungle because it can be destroyed by the Evil biomes but not by the Hallow.

Thanks for reminding me that hallow doesn’t overwhelm jungle like the evil biomes do. I changed over to a 5 x 25 chunk of pearlstone rather than the 2 x 63 -1 chunk.

just curious, why is there a random pearlsand(?) block in the corner of the hallow fishing area?

That’s not pearlsand but rather a empty block with diamond gemspark background. I did that so that there was one column of 63 and another of 62 to meet the requirement of 125 hallowed blocks. I used diamond gemspark backgrounds underneath all of the biome blocks just so everything would stand out for the screenshot. (I wouldn’t do this on a play through, that background is too expensive, but with TEdit, not so much.)

53ABB0E7-50F7-4B00-ACA0-EC095154A6CD.jpeg
Here’s a bad screenshot from my phone to the switch screen. Still using the old numbers because switch is not 1.4, but the concept remains the same.
The order of the pools is Hallow, Glowing Mushroom, Forest, Ocean, Jungle, Snow, Crimson, Corruption, Lava, Honey.

I am standing on the Ocean spot and fished a Tuna.

73738FFF-4E43-43DA-A11C-17C16D3F96B2.jpeg

Now Im in the Forest spot and fished a Bass.

If you see to the right you can see the coordinate according to the Cellphone, the ocean starts at 7644-7645.

Base notes:

Will replace the Demolitionist with Truffle and add Hallow on Hardmode, just taking my sweet time on the switch.

The large empty chunks are due to having rebuilt this thing several times to get the positioning right, including extensing the spots to 6 wide. Will consider repurposing into potion ingredient farms and make the complex a one-stop place for potions in the future with statue farms, a small scale mob farm and some biche farms such as mushroom and coral if I get around to it.

According to the wiki, it is possible to make artificial dungeon lakes with any non-dirt backwall, but my experiment fell through without any Dungeon Crates... if further experiments prove successful, the cavern layer pool will include a Dungeon spot in addition to Purity, Ice and Hallowed Ice.

@NeoPhantom, thanks for the image. I can now see why you need to get the build at exactly the right coordinates. Whew! :merchantsigh: Looks good though and as a side-benefit you can catch salmon in the forest in your bigger 1000 tile pool.

It seems strange that the bobber position is what matters and not the player’s position. That means that you could stand in the forest and cast next door to the ocean and catch ocean fish. Have to try your idea out and

I’ve never tried adding dungeon fishing to the complex and instead have simply flooded a bit of the dungeon. Please post if that works.

Can pretty much confirm that whoever wrote that the player is considered to be in a dungeon so long as theres 250 dungeon blocks and a background wall other than dirt on the wiki is either wrong, outdated or lying.

Golden Crates on three separate locations behind Marble Wall, Gem Wall and Obsidian Wall using 30 minutes of fishing with potions in each of the three no Dungeon Crates.

It is technically possible to use positioning with the complex to include the dungeon fishing spot similar to how I included the Ocean, but between the two the Ocean is definitely superior to have as it has more drops and quest fish whilst the Dungeon has only Crates.

There is also the option to move ONLY the cavern layer part of the fishing complex to the dungeon while keeping the Surface and Underground at the Ocean, but the usual long distance between the Dungeon and the Ocean may put off this idea until Teleporters are obtained in hardmode (or Pylons if the player wants quick access to the dungeon from anywhere).

This however defeats the purpose of the complex as a one-spot-stop. (I do include the Sky spot as part of the complex because I made it at the top of a tower connected to the complex)

I WAS however reminded that a number of dungeon bricks are needed to ensure dungeon spawns, so hollowing it out will allow me to make a biome floor swap mob farm with the dungeon included as part of it by using proximity to dungeon bricks to swap between biome mobs and dungeon mobs, but that’s something else entirely.

Someone pointed out, a few pages or days back, that the complex had a decent amount of play room for tweaking to individual preferences. It might have been PapaBear... It made me dive in as well.

You see, I like having an asphalt highway (once I get access to it) across my world at about surface 0. This means I needed to reposition some of the biome blocks to accomodate that. While I was at it, I figured I'd get rid of the long stretch of winter biome I didn't really need. It gets annoying when I'm zooming right and I get accosted by winter mobs. Next thing I knew, I was deep in a rabbit hole of biome delimitation >_< :D.

I ended up with this:
- the only valid biome areas other than forest are within the areas covered with background walls and team platforms
- if you go up a block from the top fishing platform you're back in a purity/forest biome, same if you step down a block from the bottom fishing platform
- the sets of 3 blocks (snow, crimstone, ebonstone at top left, and jungle and hardened sand at top right) validate the columns for fishing biomes indicated with coloured team platforms
- the other biome blocks on top (hardened sand on left and snow, crimstone and ebonstone on right) are biome blocks I had to move from below to accommodate my world highway
- I had to add in 6 extra blocks of pearlstone to the bottom left to counteract the crimstone and ebonstone on top left
- and finally I added in the bottom two bits of ebonstone on the left to invalidate the hallow to the left of and below the valid hallow fishing area

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it. And now that I have proof of concept I'm gonna tear it all down and go set it up at the ocean. See if I can't work in mushrooms as well ^_^.

Kisk New Fishing Hole.png

Last edited:
@Kisk, what a great idea! Spreading out little blocks of biome that complete a biome’s requirement in a just a itsey-bitsey little area. I have had no problem restricting the biome’s influence to either a range of vertical tiles or horizontal ones but never thought to do both at once. Good job compensating for hallow vs evil block interactions too.

Are you planning on interrupting your asphalt runway with platforms for fishing? If so, you could use bubble blocks on the underside of the surface pool and cast *up* from 0’ surface to do surface fishing... some where in this thread I posted a shot of me doing just that.

ohhhhsss, I did not think to suspend the top pool... nice idea!

originally I was just thinking of replacing the living wood platforms flanking the 3 wide biomes with asphalt as when you're running that fast it'll skip/ignore the occasional platforms

there was a post way back when, with one person doing the fishing in the one block width, actuating the blocks in the biome scan area to make different biomes active at need
I took that idea and finally tried it myself ^_^

Someone pointed out, a few pages or days back, that the complex had a decent amount of play room for tweaking to individual preferences. It might have been PapaBear... It made me dive in as well.

You see, I like having an asphalt highway (once I get access to it) across my world at about surface 0. This means I needed to reposition some of the biome blocks to accomodate that. While I was at it, I figured I'd get rid of the long stretch of winter biome I didn't really need. It gets annoying when I'm zooming right and I get accosted by winter mobs. Next thing I knew, I was deep in a rabbit hole of biome delimitation >_< :D.

I ended up with this:
- the only valid biome areas other than forest are within the areas covered with background walls and team platforms
- if you go up a block from the top fishing platform you're back in a purity/forest biome, same if you step down a block from the bottom fishing platform
- the sets of 3 blocks (snow, crimstone, ebonstone at top left, and jungle and hardened sand at top right) validate the columns for fishing biomes indicated with coloured team platforms
- the other biome blocks on top (hardened sand on left and snow, crimstone and ebonstone on right) are biome blocks I had to move from below to accommodate my world highway
- I had to add in 6 extra blocks of pearlstone to the bottom left to counteract the crimstone and ebonstone on top left
- and finally I added in the bottom two bits of ebonstone on the left to invalidate the hallow to the left of and below the valid hallow fishing area

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it. And now that I have proof of concept I'm gonna tear it all down and go set it up at the ocean. See if I can't work in mushrooms as well ^_^.

View attachment 274676
@Kisk

Can you upload your world? I am interested in a solution like this to see the exact measurements.

sure, gimme a sec
it's my first world in 1.4 so I went with the learn aalllll the thinngs journey mode ^_^

hmmm, it's a large world and too large to upload directly... uh, soooo....
I'm sorry, it's been a long while since I used dropbox >_o and I am unfamiliar with the easiest ways to make the world file available these days

I'll go search these forums for how to, though I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction :)

@Kisk

You can directly attach a wld file to a forum post. There's others that have done that in this thread.

I'm not sure about what to use otherwise.

Last edited:
I happened upon this

Could anyone check? Sorry I'm not too versed on the matter. I just wanna see the original compact fishing pond updated.

Back
Top Bottom