[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

I skimming through here the other day and didn't see any designs that have both ocean and desert, so naturally I decided to spend a few days making my own that was to my liking.
While it was a total pain in the but, I finally managed a functional design using journeymode and Tedit the other day. Fast forward a few tens of hours and I just finished building it on my hardcore mastermode world so I can get potion ingredients in peace. 🙂

totally worth it as long as I don't die lol
Terraria_FL5PDehUYi.png

Personally I'm not a fan of having two big pools on top of each other. I want a far more streamlined fishing experience and that lead me to come up with this design.
The slightly different water levels place the bobber at the different heights, so if you want surface biome catches you throw it in the higher side, if you want underground catches then throw it on the lower side. ez

According to the wiki(and assuming I counted correctly), there are only 12 items I can't catch in this pool.
Blue/Green Jellyfish and Damselfish are caught in cavern and sky,
Amanita Fungifin needs 200 mushroom biome blocks and as that's 2x the blocks required for making the biome in the first place you can't make a targeted biome(afaik),
Angelfish and Cloudfish are caught in the sky,
Scaly Truffle is caught in caverns and requires overlapping biomes(I could totally do the overlapping part, but too deep anyways),
Alchemy Table is caught in dungeon,
Sky Crate(and hardmode variant) is caught in the sky,
Dungeon Crate(and hardmode variant) is caught in the dungeon.

If you really wanted to catch everything then you could build two ponds at the sky/surface/ocean border and one at the underground/cavern that overlaps the dungeon somewhere.
For twice the effort it's not worth it imo. The only thing on that list that I would want in quantity is angelfish, but even then it's not all that useful.

I've also noticed some weirdness and am not sure how far it goes, but it seems like the bobber determines not only height, but also biome of the catch to some degree. Biome doesn't seem to be completely determined by the bobber tho as casting into desert from snow will still give snow fish...
Terraria_RtV3Swfd4G.png
salmon btw

Note to anyone designing their own pool in this style: place forest by ocean so you can catch salmon.

P.S. I included the world I built this on in case anyone wanted to play with it, but it is prehardmode, so I don't have corruption or hallow yet. I can post an updated and finalized version that has both once I reach hardmode if y'all are interested.

P.P.S. It's at the ocean pylon (duh)

Attachments

• The_Awkward_Pit.7z
    3.4 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
@TauKinth
Looks great. Your surface desert only has 155 tiles of water though.

Anyway, there's some discussion regarding the mushroom biome in the other fishing thread. It appears the wiki is wrong and only 100 blocks are needed for the quest fish, so your pool should work too.

Oh lol, you're totally right about surface desert and I don't know how I missed that.
Now to try and find the laziest and easiest solution to implement...

I think technically you don't need an underground desert as there are no exclusive catches there, where as there are quest fish that need to be caught on the surface. I think mushroom also only needs one height, but I also need to keep the desert about as far as it is from the ocean.
As someone mentioned prior, no sand blocks in the ocean count towards the desert and that messes up the way I do my biomes. All of my biomes only exist in the 11 wide area that is the platform, but also only two tall. In the end I think the desert was only 4 blocks farther from the ocean than the closest it could be while keeping it exclusive to the 11x2 area.

If someone knows of some magic trick you can do to negate blocks from a normal biome in the same way that evil and hallow cancel out then tell me and I can make this whole system much better.

The other fishing thread uses a trick by which a single block placed in all four extremities of the detection area control whether a biome has sufficient biome blocks or not.

That is more than sufficient, as the other biomes do not come into play until enough biome blocks are present, unlike the evil/hallow biomes which cancel each other out. As such, no need to cancel regular biomes out.

This one does that, but instead of all four corners it only uses two opposing corners(you get the same result). The thing about the desert and ocean tho, is you can't have the desert within 84(-the width of the biome) blocks of the ocean. As such you would have the desert overlapping all biomes if you want it beside the ocean.

For the evil and hallow, I don't need to define the corners tho because I can always cancel them out bu placing blocks on the side I don't want it to show up and it falls under the block limit when you aren't exactly where the biome should be. Sunflowers should also work for this as a pre-hardmode solution for the evil biomes.

Yeah, desert and ocean are a pain now when together. Best to just have the desert as far away from the ocean as possible.

Recently I tried to make a vertical (or should I say horizontal?) approach to my last design, based on some ideias from @Beartopus design. One of the reasons I didn't place the biomes right next to each other on the horizontal design was because it felt really odd to stay centered on the biome you want, since there is a delay to change between backgrounds. Now, I feel like it is a bit inconvenient to choose the biome, but it is possible to get around by rearranging the platforms without changing their height, since the biome range extends horizontally to both sides. I also marked the optimal area to prevent interference from blocks outside the structure. That said, there is nothing special about this design in particular, world is attached if anyone wants to check it out.
Hey man, thanks for posting this. I ended up going to with your design but adjusted the positions and layouts of the biome blocks except the single blocks at the upper and lower boundaries. And obviously changed the pool shapes. I also did my absolute best at making the whole thing pretty, but is rather embarrassing how long it took me. I'm glad I was able to start with yours as a blueprint though, because it was taking a while for me to decide how I wanted to setup the mechanics to change biomes / how to do it.

I will be housing the Goblin NPC where the demolition currently is, and the Mechanic will be housed where the Tavern is once I get her unlocked. I'll place 2 snow blocks somewhere around the Mechanic's house and when standing within 2 or 3 tiles of the stone slab blocks (basically right above her house), her happiness/price modifier will be 75%. If above the Goblin's house, the biome will go back to Forest and he'll also receive a 75% modifier.
My Fishing Cave 2.png

Oh and I pretty much copied the bridge I saw someone online post by the name of "asdfghjjbffgh".

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks for posting this. I ended up going to with your design but adjusted the positions and layouts of the biome blocks except the single blocks at the upper and lower boundaries. And obviously changed the pool shapes. I also did my absolute best at making the whole thing pretty, but is rather embarrassing how long it took me. I'm glad I was able to start with yours as a blueprint though, because it was taking a while for me to decide how I wanted to setup the mechanics to change biomes / how to do it.
I'm glad my design was useful to you, your construction looks really awesome!

I spent some time to refine the last pool design I posted here, making it easier to build and minor adjustments.
The result is a diagram of the entire thing (instructions included):

World download is included at the end of this post.

I think this is the last fishing setup for me, there is not really much I can improve on this specific design. Ocean still not worth adding in my opinion, but I liked the info gathered about it on this topic. I actually tried adding dungeon fishing, but it doesn't look like to be worth at all. Maybe something is added or changed on 1.4.1 as well, who knows.
What turned out to be the best solution for the remaining quest fishes for me was:
- Ocean: ocean pylon
- Sky: mushroom pylon on a floating lake
- Cavern: cavern pylon (house of the Goblin NPC)

What I'm really interested into right now is using a similar multiple biome design to create an enemy farm on the cavern layer, which I think can be done but I still didn't decide the best approach yet. Probably the vertical design with some pressure plates to switch blocks on and off. Hallow and evil biomes can not be optimized unfortunately, since you need platforms from the biome blocks to allow certain enemies to spawn. The ideia is to not have to replace any blocks and it selects the biome based on where you are standing and then all enemies come to you/kill chamber.

Thank you guys for all the fishing setup inspirations!

Edit: I forgot to cover the under part of mushroom grass on the previous world, just updating it to avoid people running into issues.

Attachments

• [World]_Fishing_Pool.wld
    25.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

I spent some time to refine the last pool design I posted here, making it easier to build and minor adjustments.
Thanks for the compliment :)
The biome blocks on your modified version, especially the snow & desert blocks, look much cleaner. They don't look so overwhelming compared to the rest of the complex. I like it a lot. Also, this setup would have worked into my cave a lot nicer.

And that tutorial image you posted with the measurements is very well done. I downloaded the previous world file you posted and after modifying, took a screenshot inside TEdit and did (tried) the same thing, which took a long time, but still, my markings and text that I overlaid onto the image was too messy and hard to follow. Ended up just keeping TEdit opened and went back & forth between it and the game..
Thanks for posting this

World download is included at the end of this post.

I think this is the last fishing setup for me, there is not really much I can improve on this specific design. Ocean still not worth adding in my opinion, but I liked the info gathered about it on this topic. I actually tried adding dungeon fishing, but it doesn't look like to be worth at all. Maybe something is added or changed on 1.4.1 as well, who knows.
What turned out to be the best solution for the remaining quest fishes for me was:
- Ocean: ocean pylon
- Sky: mushroom pylon on a floating lake
- Cavern: cavern pylon (house of the Goblin NPC)

What I'm really interested into right now is using a similar multiple biome design to create an enemy farm on the cavern layer, which I think can be done but I still didn't decide the best approach yet. Probably the vertical design with some pressure plates to switch blocks on and off. Hallow and evil biomes can not be optimized unfortunately, since you need platforms from the biome blocks to allow certain enemies to spawn. The ideia is to not have to replace any blocks and it selects the biome based on where you are standing and then all enemies come to you/kill chamber.

Thank you guys for all the fishing setup inspirations!

I did once worked on a mob farm using the block placement concept. Its VERY doable really. Just remember that the spawning requirement is all over the place for some mobs, as for example Jungle bats only need jungle music in any biome while Jungle Slimes need Underground Jungle Grass even without jungle music, then the hornets need both jungle grass and jungle music. (Might’ve mixed up the last two fyi). This may lead you to be farming Ice Bats and Jungle Slimes for example.

As for the hallow / evil biomes, just have them be to the sides while keeping the middle as purity. That also allows you to add Tainted Biomes as desired. However to get the full biome list in one place is still rather annoying.

A single block of granite / marble is enough to have the related mobs basically take over the spawns... You’d need to have them far so they dont mess with the rest of the biomes which is not worth it when you can just place one block and stand on it a when you want to farm those mobs.

Underground Desert is easy enough, just keep a 3 tall row of naturally placed desert walls. With the division I mentioned, its also viable to have all four underground desert variants active depending on where you stand. The original antlions are a pain though, unless you actuate the entire place so that they can’t shoot sand blocks that stay behind.

Finding a spider wall area nearby means easy access to spider gear, but they dont really give much else so its not worth the trouble of adding unless you are banner hunting. As is making a Underground (not Cavern) farm as they have very few exclusive mobs, none with unique drops.

However, looking beyond the underground mob farms one that I was pretty happy with was my Sandstorm / Blizzard / Rain farm. Just jump some platforms to switch from desert to snow or purity. Important thing for that one was that Sandstorm mobs need at least 5 blocks of sand of depth to spawn in, the Ice Golem needs 400 snowy blocks to spawn even though the snow biome only needs 300 and the Rainbow Slime only spawns if the ground is a generic block such stone, wood or brick.

Last edited:
Hei guys, how are you? I'm trying to replicate f1n4l's last design, but I can't seem to make it work.
Biomes seems to be overlapping: backgrounds and water's color don't change well, I'm able to fish every fish in every pond, weird stuff with the missions, etc

I'm attaching my (cleaned so it weigth less) map.

I'm playing in steam's last version 1.4.0.5

Attachments

• The_Passage_of_Sadness - Copy.wld
    2.3 MB · Views: 159
Hei guys, how are you? I'm trying to replicate f1n4l's last design, but I can't seem to make it work.
Biomes seems to be overlapping: backgrounds and water's color don't change well, I'm able to fish every fish in every pond, weird stuff with the missions, etc

I'm attaching my (cleaned so it weigth less) map.

I'm playing in steam's last version 1.4.0.5
Hey man, the blocks at the top of your complex need to be moved up 1 tile. All of them. When in-game and using the ruler, the platforms/blocks you're standing on should measure 64 tiles away from the upper boundary biome blocks. I know I didn't explain that very well, but if you just want the solution, just move up those blocks 1 tile space.

I wasn't able to find any other issues, but didn't spend a whole lot of time looking. If it doesn't work after the adjustment I mentioned, just let me know.

@f1n4l Thanks a lot for this! I replicated this design in my world and it works like a charm. I've added a little house for the angler and the pirate as well as teleporters to a sky lake, a cavern lake and the ocean and this meetes all my fishing needs:

FishingStation.jpg

Question... In these new designs everyone is incorporating lots of blank space with glass walls. Is this blank wall space important for mechanics, aesthetics, or to easily show concept?

Question... In these new designs everyone is incorporating lots of blank space with glass walls. Is this blank wall space important for mechanics, aesthetics, or to easily show concept?
Also, it prevents monster spawns, but would technically really only matter for the area that is just outside of vision when standing in the fishing spot. That and when arriving to the fishing spot.

I said that I wouldn't put more efforts on fishing setups, but I couldn't help myself after I had a really good idea last month.
Basically, I made a new biome boundary and I also reworked some block placement to make everything more symmetric, I think it is easier to build overall. I decided to use Pearlsand instead of regular Sand to active the Desert, it just needs one extra Ebonstone and Crimstone. This means that all the tiles of the biome boundary are now incorruptible, so it is possible to place them closer. The down side is that this design is a hardmode only build.
You can find the world download on the image description. I've also updated the fishing equipment of the chest to include the new Lavaproof Tackle Bag.

This is the base design I've been using while trying to implement a cave farm with biome switching and so far I got a really good result. For starters, I ignored the Desert since it needs natural walls, but I kept the platform for now, I also found out that the Underground Desert spawn rates are even better than the Jungle, but I couldn't confirm completely the effectiveness of the Desert active all the time on the farm. Since Desert's enemies can't spawn in this setup, at least it can't make it worse.
I ended up with two spawn columns on each side, the idea is that the spawns are generated on the open space above and it goes down to find the floor, the floor block is defined by which biome platform you are standing on, this means that if I'm in the Crimson platform, only the Crimson blocks are not actuated. Teleporting the movable enemies to the kill chamber is easier enough, I didn't come up with an efficient placement of traps yet to deal with the anchored enemies such as the Angry Trapper. When standing in the Mushroom platform the farm turns into a Truffle Worm farm, it is not the most efficient, but it works well. The farm is able to collect most drops from the enemies that die before getting to the teleporter, this way when the Clingers are killed, the cursed flame drop is transported to the player.

The next step is deal with enemies that can go through tiles and see if it is possible to effectively farm them in this contraption, such as the Chaos Elemental and Enchanted Sword. I didn't try to add Marble and Granite spawns yet. Spider Cave is out of question because of the need of natural walls. I've been killing all the enemies with the Zenith so I don't have a proper kill chamber as well. I'm ignoring the biome mimics for now.

This is how it looks so far, the platform is detected using the Logic Sensor of players, when there is no player on the platforms, no enemies spawn because of the lava on the bottom. I'm using an dummy engine to the make the hoik elevator work, that's why some wires are going up (it's very loud). I still need a proper timer sequence to activate the traps instead of normal timers. The farm is already turning into some wire madness which I don't think is worth building at all because it is getting way to complex, but it works incredibly well and switching biomes is super practical.
cavefarm alpha.png
I'm accepting any suggestions, because I've never done anything like this, but I believe this is not related to this topic content anymore. To finish, I'm still planning to add a 300 tile water pool somewhere in this build to allow fishing while farming, this will probably be the true challenge.

I said that I wouldn't put more efforts on fishing setups, but I couldn't help myself after I had a really good idea last month.
Basically, I made a new biome boundary and I also reworked some block placement to make everything more symmetric, I think it is easier to build overall. I decided to use Pearlsand instead of regular Sand to active the Desert, it just needs one extra Ebonstone and Crimstone. This means that all the tiles of the biome boundary are now incorruptible, so it is possible to place them closer. The down side is that this design is a hardmode only build.
You can find the world download on the image description. I've also updated the fishing equipment of the chest to include the new Lavaproof Tackle Bag.

This is the base design I've been using while trying to implement a cave farm with biome switching and so far I got a really good result. For starters, I ignored the Desert since it needs natural walls, but I kept the platform for now, I also found out that the Underground Desert spawn rates are even better than the Jungle, but I couldn't confirm completely the effectiveness of the Desert active all the time on the farm. Since Desert's enemies can't spawn in this setup, at least it can't make it worse.
I ended up with two spawn columns on each side, the idea is that the spawns are generated on the open space above and it goes down to find the floor, the floor block is defined by which biome platform you are standing on, this means that if I'm in the Crimson platform, only the Crimson blocks are not actuated. Teleporting the movable enemies to the kill chamber is easier enough, I didn't come up with an efficient placement of traps yet to deal with the anchored enemies such as the Angry Trapper. When standing in the Mushroom platform the farm turns into a Truffle Worm farm, it is not the most efficient, but it works well. The farm is able to collect most drops from the enemies that die before getting to the teleporter, this way when the Clingers are killed, the cursed flame drop is transported to the player.

The next step is deal with enemies that can go through tiles and see if it is possible to effectively farm them in this contraption, such as the Chaos Elemental and Enchanted Sword. I didn't try to add Marble and Granite spawns yet. Spider Cave is out of question because of the need of natural walls. I've been killing all the enemies with the Zenith so I don't have a proper kill chamber as well. I'm ignoring the biome mimics for now.

This is how it looks so far, the platform is detected using the Logic Sensor of players, when there is no player on the platforms, no enemies spawn because of the lava on the bottom. I'm using an dummy engine to the make the hoik elevator work, that's why some wires are going up (it's very loud). I still need a proper timer sequence to activate the traps instead of normal timers. The farm is already turning into some wire madness which I don't think is worth building at all because it is getting way to complex, but it works incredibly well and switching biomes is super practical.
I'm accepting any suggestions, because I've never done anything like this, but I believe this is not related to this topic content anymore. To finish, I'm still planning to add a 300 tile water pool somewhere in this build to allow fishing while farming, this will probably be the true challenge.
Very nice man. It'd take me a while to understand everything you've done, and even then, would surpass anything I would be able to do myself. So is unlikely I could offer any worthwhile suggestions. Regarding though the Underground Desert spawn rate: It is posted on the wiki that it does have a higher spawn rate. A while back i remember (vaguely) looking into it. I can't quite remember what it was that gave me the impression that it wouldn't work, maybe it was that I thought you'd only get desert spawns. It's very likely it just seemed like a lot of work and stopped looking further.
But you're able to have Underground Desert be the active biome and while spawning in non-desert mobs? Just not Desert mobs?

Edit: Actually, I think it was just that with Underground Jungle as the active biome and with water candle alone already put u at max spawn rate. But if that's not true, and if you'd still need a battle potion, I can definitely see why using Underground Desert would be worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom