Showcase [Showcase/Project] AFK Wall of Flesh Farm (Expert)

Full Metal Kirby

Official Terrarian
So as well crafted as DicemanX's WoF farm is, I decided it would be an interesting challenge to see if I could make a completely gear independent, no player movement or taking even a single hit required setup*. Plus I felt this deserved being revisited since the last time I made a WoF farm. This is the end result.

* With how it's currently set up, spiky balls very rarely will make it back to hit you. But, this can be solved with just some walls, rather than bubble blocks and honey. Also I didn't bother adding in anything to deal with bone serpents, but any amount of spiky balls to the right of the player should be more than enough.

6Y6XXc3.jpg

KvvKM3G.jpg

N1w2O1x.jpg

(tl;dr Kills around 6 Walls of Flesh per in-game day, and might need to open the images in a different window to see them fully zoomed.)

Overall it came out mostly as one would expect for a WoF farm, with a long, 22 block high tunnel with 2-thick floor and ceiling and a spawn area for mobs located nearby. As well as using a dummy and hoiks to teleport every mob besides bone serpents into the kill chamber, and having actuated blocks along the middle path to stop the demonite/crimtane box from spawning on WoF's death. Also has the pressure plates spaced out enough to never back-teleport mobs, though that's mostly just a preference and can probably be changed without impacting anything.

Of note, the upper conveyor path that the player has access to, is to manually drop dolls if desired. Bottom one delivers the WoF drops.

It also takes advantage of conveyor belts to spawn the WoF farther away from the player/mobs, as well as being budget friendly and only requiring 114 spiky ball traps (75 if you make the WoF spawn around 20 or so blocks farther away, so you don't need the downward facing ones) due to the ability to rotate traps. Might actually be able to reduce the spiky ball cost by 33%, but I couldn't be bothered to test them being placed 3+ apart over the same total distance.

So you might be wondering why the mob kill chamber is filled with honey, but that's quite simple: It completely removes the ability for lava slimes to drop lava, ensuring no accidental Wall summons -- Bubble Blocks won't work, as they'll just 'capture' the lava where lava slimes die and it can still destroy dolls. Also, while summoning a raven or two in the kill chamber (which I do) will significantly help speed up killing mobs, it's not required by any means.

As well, the reason the area where the doll gets dropped into lava is so weird is not merely an aesthetic choice, it's that the WoF is very picky in how it chooses if it likes the decided spawn spot of not. No player-placed walls, solid blocks, or liquids in the general area that the WoF's mouth will spawn at, as well as requiring 22 or more spaces of single/empty blocks in the column the doll is dropped into lava at (when not displaced by being dropped in the no-spawn zone around the player, it spawns exactly in that column every time). Lava counts as a block in that regard, but bubble blocks do not, which is why things are spaced as they are. However, you can make the holes wider if you want all the misc. large drops to be able to cycle back around so you can pick them up.

Also of note, there's a very basic day/night sensor setup that stops dolls from being wasted when it turns night, though as it's currently implemented, they just get wasted the instant day starts instead. You would need an additional conveyor that is constantly moving drops farther away during the night, and then starts moving them back to the main path once day hits, to make an effective doll backlog.

Alternatively, you could use the night to automatically deal with any random invasions that otherwise break the WoF farm, though I'm not sure how you would get any summons back into the kill chamber after the fact then. Could potentially use the stardust dragon or other things that go through walls, but that brings the risk of killing lava slimes in the hoik area where lava can still spawn, which potentially means accidental wall summons.

Besides that, the actuated blocks in the mob spawn area are just a different way to stop (or slow, as they don't currently go high enough in my build) spawning when the farm is off that I had to resort to due to limited space. Could easily use lava or the like to stop spawns instead though, if so desired.

Back
Top Bottom