Showcase [showcase] Superbranching Teleporter

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
Used the conventional way, teleporters are limited to 8 connections (4 colors, attached to each side). But by using logic gate repeaters and knowledge of how destinations are chosen, it's possible to expand this more or less indefinitely.

SBT-NoWire.png
SBT-Wire.png

Instead of directly connecting the switches to the hub teleporter, each switch activates a gate connected to the destination. The trick is that when something activates a wire linked with more than two teleporters, it always swaps the closest one and the furthest one (in terms of wire length). So there is a catch, all the branch teleporters that share a wire must be closer to each other than they are to the hub. For example the middle left branch in this example would not work if I hadn't artificially extended the red wire with that U shape. But of course you can still have up 8 branching wires connected to the hub, not just one as shown here.

Seems like an interesting concept. Could be used alongside hoiking to make a teleporter hub similiar to dicemanX's teelporter hub.

Logic gates as secondary sources of activation are pretty handy.:)

Only drawbacks here are the doubling up of wire colours over potentially long distances (unless this is just a first stage bifurcation). Also, if wiring up a world, you'll need a lot of long zig-zags in the red wire between the base station and the physically closest destination pad (to avoid going out to the coast instead).

Only drawbacks here are the doubling up of wire colours over potentially long distances (unless this is just a first stage bifurcation). Also, if wiring up a world, you'll need a lot of long zig-zags in the red wire between the base station and the physically closest destination pad (to avoid going out to the coast instead).
While true, with the help of "The Grand Design" Item shown in your profile pic, it will make wiring up contraptions over long distances much less tedious, at least. I love that thing, and I built an arena near the center of my world to grind a bunch of events and mobs. Even though my creation was in a small space, Wiring up things now is much more user friendly! I'm loving 1.3.1 a lot!

Also, I just beat the Martian Madness Event using said arena, and its not even complete yet! Still gotta tweak it, but the reason the Martians came was because of a probe I didn't get to kill quick enough, but knew exactly where I should be. That very same Arena mentioned. Awesome stuff I got too! Still havn't killed the Lunatic Cultist or Cthu- I mean Moon Lord.

It would definitely use a lot of wire, no doubt about that. But I was thinking you'd use separate colors for each region of the map. For instance you might use red for the west, blue for the east, green for the central area, and yellow for the closest destinations, or something like that. I think you could avoid having to go too crazy with switchbacks.

Since a possibly infinite number of logic gates can activate during a single tick, it's also quite possible to teleport the player multiple times in one tick - up two four times per logic gate activated actually (see this thread for details). The player won't see anything of that unless it's on the same screen - I used that in my approach to this problem, where a player would be moved from their starting teleporter into a teleporter cycle, zapped through there a bit and then teleported out again - all within one tick, and the player doesn't even know that such a thing as an inner ring exists.
This feature makes it possible to construct a hub with even more possible destinations - you could make it so the player can input where they want to go, and then they're teleported from the main hub to a sub-hub to a third relay and then to the final teleporter they're aiming for - all within one instant.

I think either method has a theoretically infinite number of destinations, though you'd need something a bit more advanced than individual switches to pick the destination for this set-up at the number passed a few dozen or so, just reaching them from the hub would become a problem otherwise.

Since a possibly infinite number of logic gates can activate during a single tick, it's also quite possible to teleport the player multiple times in one tick - up two four times per logic gate activated actually (see this thread for details). The player won't see anything of that unless it's on the same screen - I used that in my approach to this problem, where a player would be moved from their starting teleporter into a teleporter cycle, zapped through there a bit and then teleported out again - all within one tick, and the player doesn't even know that such a thing as an inner ring exists.
This feature makes it possible to construct a hub with even more possible destinations - you could make it so the player can input where they want to go, and then they're teleported from the main hub to a sub-hub to a third relay and then to the final teleporter they're aiming for - all within one instant.
Yay, my concept was mentioned!

Even though I ultimately didn't use your method, I did use some of the logic behind it to make my desired method work!

Sounds like another guide thread is beckoning you, Nira.;) (I still need to reply to your others.)

A hub design that is currently expandable up to 16 destinations without having to add more switches. Additional dimensions can also be added though more counters (a-through-d x 1-16)

I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff could be simplified with faulty gates. But i just can't wrap my head around them at all
ta7IzSI.png

yZlygt0.png

Last edited:
I see a lot of potential here. Basically you could have what @NiraExecuto said. You link with one wire to a series of teleporters and each has their own branching logic. You just need to be sure that the distance between all of the branching teleporters are far enough from the base teleporter.

I have seen this mechanic when i tried one of my earlier desings, but used it in a different manner :p Sometimes the puzzle pieces must be in the right place ;)

Implement a binary algorithm as the seperation between branches or make "functional" seperation like i did in my design (4 switches with letters for branches and 4 switches with numbers for the outputs). Each branch would be (as in this example) having a teleport entry (all entries linked with red wire) and from there you diverge the player across other teleporters.

I'm definitely gonna try to use this concept in my hub... When i have some time :) Great work!

Back
Top Bottom