Showcase [Showcase] Truffle Worm Autofarm: 390 Worms/hr + 50 Plat/hr (Bonus: Best Way to Farm Dev Armor)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I updated my previous Truffle Worm farm to generate the highest worm capture rate to date (390 Worms/hr). I also created a variant that can generate around 50 platinum per hour, which to my knowledge is the highest platinum rate for a continuous AFK farm. Farming Pumpkin Moon results in better rates during nighttime, but Pumpkin Moon autofarms are not continuous.

The Truffle Worm farm is also key to the fastsest rate of farming developer armor. Farming the Golem is good too, but the rate of Power Cells per hour pales in comparison to the rate of Worms per hour, and it is very easy to take down Fishron with endgame gear. I even take down enraged Fishron in the video multiple times.

Video:

Schematics:

XSZSdqL.png

ii3QPqX.png

Credit to @Bahamut2001 for the flamethrower mechanism which is right above the "truffle worm factory" sign- I like his version because it uses only one 1-second timer and is thus easy to shut off.

Explanation:

When the player teleports into the farm (via the blue wire extending off-screen on the right), two dummy ghosts are sent into a hoik track below the spawn surface on the left. The ghosts continuously activate pressure plates connected to teleporters below the two mushroom grass surfaces, sending most mobs into the kill chamber above the player. Worms are not teleported. Instead, the worms drop down into the hoik track (the second mushroom grass surface) and are hoiked to the player who will be swinging the net to capture all incoming worms and glowing snails.

The player summons minions (preferably Ravens) into the kill chamber to generate extra gold drops. A mob statue is added to the chamber so that the Skeleton merchant can be killed by the minions. Minions don't normally target the merchant, but they will kill him inadvertently if they try to hit the mobs spawned from the statue.

If the player doesn't wish to farm the hostile mobs, the destination teleporter can be changed. In the wire schematic above there is a gap in the green wire on the far left. If that gap is filled in with green wire, the teleporters in the spawn area will instead connect to a distant teleporter (I have mine ~900 tiles away) to instantly despawn all teleported mobs and maintain a high turnover of mobs. This switch in teleporter destinations will require that the player sever the green wire leading to the mob statue above the kill chamber.

The lever to the left of the player sends the player home.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBOWJSZ3BMbEszT28/view (v13.2)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBcnBTYVZjcVNwdGM/view?usp=sharing (v14)

Acknowledgements:

My thanks to the developers of Mechmod, the T-MEC community mod:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mechmod-a-t-mec-community-mod.38088/

I use the mod for free cam mode so that I can best showcase the farms in my videos!

Last edited:
I prefer the previous version simply because it's easier to build.
I'm sure this one is much more efficient, but slanting all those blocks takes too much time for me to use this.

I'm sure this one is much more efficient, but slanting all those blocks takes too much time for me to use this.

It takes about 10 minutes to slant all of them because you soon get into a rhythm and can count how many hammer strikes it will take to create the right slant. Better to invest 10 minutes now and save many hours later if you plan on doing a lot of money grinding ;).

The Truffle Worm farm is also key to the fastsest rate of farming developer armor [...because...] it is very easy to take down Fishron with endgame gear.
Ah, I see (via the Duke's Treasure bags with 5% dev set drop chance). Funny to think of Fishron as easy, when the pro speed-runners seem to prefer to leave him until after Moonlord. But yes, that endgame load-out! :eek: Wonder if the devs will make Truffle-worms even harder to get hold of now?! (Thanks to you/us.) ;)

Last edited:
Definitely no star hoiks for you then, heh.;) Actually, hollowing out and setting up the spawn area will be far more time consuming.

Yeah, clearing the space is the biggest hassle, but if dynamite or bombs are used then it should be pretty quick. Following the schematics, I'd estimate that it would take about 45 minutes to build the whole thing starting with blowing open an area in the cavern layer first.

Credit to @Bahamut2001 for the flamethrower mechanism
Even I can have a good idea once in a blue moon. :D
Actually, hollowing out and setting up the spawn area will be far more time consuming.
Hollowing out large areas was the bane of my existence until I figured out that explosives do the job better than pickaxes. Of course, not long after that I figured out that explosives hurt...a lot. Thankfully, you can use the Snowman Cannon to blow up blocks without blowing yourself up at the same time.

Hollowing out large areas was the bane of my existence until I figured out that explosives do the job better than pickaxes. Of course, not long after that I figured out that explosives hurt...a lot. Thankfully, you can use the Snowman Cannon to blow up blocks without blowing yourself up at the same time.

I found that mounting the unicorn was actually pretty good -- makes the auto-tunnel thing five blocks high, and with a reasonably fast pick that's more than efficient enough for me compared to trying to bomb it out one way or another.
[DOUBLEPOST=1457403666,1457403516][/DOUBLEPOST]

....as someone who hand-built a large world star bridge hoik, and also corruption control tunnels through the entire world at ~ 400' intervals, I sometimes doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion Terraria. ;)

The problem I have (on PS3) with the vertical hoik run is that the worms get within 3 tiles of my feet and "sense" me, and fly away before they're in range of my net. I've disabled the vertical teeth and the worms end up in a collection area at the right hand side of the horizontal hoik run (directly below me) . Then every 20 mins or so I teleport down there while swinging the net. I get around 150-200 worms p/hr with this method.

I also stopped the horizontal run from actuating (after the spawn platform), so it's always solid. It sped up the worms movement along the rail by around 10%

The problem I have (on PS3) with the vertical hoik run is that the worms get within 3 tiles of my feet and "sense" me, and fly away before they're in range of my net. I've disabled the vertical teeth and the worms end up in a collection area at the right hand side of the horizontal hoik run (directly below me) . Then every 20 mins or so I teleport down there while swinging the net. I get around 150-200 worms p/hr with this method.

I also stopped the horizontal run from actuating (after the spawn platform), so it's always solid. It sped up the worms movement along the rail by around 10%

You have another option: you can build the up hoik a fair distance from the player and hoik the worms upwards until they are above the player's position. Then you can hoik them horizontally and then dump them into a pit with you waiting below. This way you can completely automate the process without having to return to the farm for collection.

In your approach you're likely losing worm spawns by waiting 20 minutes before collection. From testing you can have around 35 worms/snails in the world before spawns grind to a near halt, so it's important to collect them as often as possible. This is assuming that the spawn rules apply to console as well.
[DOUBLEPOST=1457668740,1457642770][/DOUBLEPOST]
You won't believe but mushroom tree grew up while activating/deactivating mushroom blocks :O

Hmm, it looks like I didn't put the torches low enough to the ground. That's why the torches are there - to stop giant mushroom spawns.

You have another option: you can build the up hoik a fair distance from the player and hoik the worms upwards until they are above the player's position. Then you can hoik them horizontally and then dump them into a pit with you waiting below. This way you can completely automate the process without having to return to the farm for collection.

In your approach you're likely losing worm spawns by waiting 20 minutes before collection. From testing you can have around 35 worms/snails in the world before spawns grind to a near halt, so it's important to collect them as often as possible. This is assuming that the spawn rules apply to console as well.
[DOUBLEPOST=1457668740,1457642770][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hmm, it looks like I didn't put the torches low enough to the ground. That's why the torches are there - to stop giant mushroom spawns.

That's not a bad shout, it's given me an idea; does the height of a spawn surface matter in terms of spawn rate? If it's above me instead of below?

Also, I'm glad @Arekusei mentioned the giant mushrooms; I didn't realise you could block them without blocks.

That's not a bad shout, it's given me an idea; does the height of a spawn surface matter in terms of spawn rate? If it's above me instead of below?

Spawns initiate in mid-air, so it's best to have the spawn area below you, not above you, to maximize the area above the spawn surface.

Mid-air? So they don't happen on the tiles?

If the spawn point is for something that needs a surface, and is in mid-air, the game tracks downward until it finds a suitable surface and places the mob there. So, ground level can get spawns from ground level *and* any open air above it.

Mid-air? So they don't happen on the tiles?

The spawns initiate in mid-air, but they manifest on the first available surface directly below, as SlippyCheeze mentioned. This applies to all spawns except for Harpies, Wyverns, and Martian Probes.

The spawns initiate in mid-air, but they manifest on the first available surface directly below, as SlippyCheeze mentioned. This applies to all spawns except for Harpies, Wyverns, and Martian Probes.
Bugger, I've built in now. Never mind; I still get around 150-200 worms p/h, which is more than enough when you think about what Fishron actually drops on console.

Joe,

Since I'm on a multiplayer server, it's important not to have the blocks actuating constantly when I'm not farming. Otherwise random actuating blocks get out of sync.

I'm sure this isn't any kind of revelation to you, but I thought others would like to see: I added actuators to the dummy hoik chain on the bottom and linked it to the green dummy teleporter wire. Pic below. I guess I don't really need the hoik/teleport entry for the player anymore, since I replaced the footplate there with a switch. I was having problems getting the footplate to activate. More multiplayer woes.

Anyway this machine turns on and off with the right switch, and turns off and teleports the player out on the left switch.

Machine was fun to build. Thanks Joe!

933D2059AA2EECDC324992BA4AF9D1CA532E0551

[doublepost=1458974191,1458971664][/doublepost]Ah... now I see the reason for those upward teeth! Was I surprised when mobs started shooting up my hoik ladder. I need to go find some more fire traps too...

Back
Top Bottom