Showcase [Showcase] Truffle Worm Autofarm v2.0 (vastly improved in 1.3 Expert Mode)

One small optional adjustment can be made to the farm to make it a bit less loud:

1F95E904794605B3CC00B66956D796B98CFF4B46

A hoik loop can be used instead of a linear track with telepoters at both ends. Of course you still end up hearing the sound of teleporters because the mobs get constantly teleported out, but at least it's not so maddening anymore.

I also put up a truffle worm factory sign because why not.

One small optional adjustment can be made to the farm to make it a bit less loud:

A hoik loop can be used instead of a linear track with telepoters at both ends. Of course you still end up hearing the sound of teleporters because the mobs get constantly teleported out, but at least it's not so maddening anymore.

Have you rewired so that although the track runs in a loop, the activations are done in sweeps instead of oscillations? Is this even possible? I'm just thinking the areas toward sides of the loop now have a longer "refresh" than the middle.

Last edited:
I switched the flame trap activation over to yours @Bahamut2001 - even though it requires 4 flame traps in a row it is preferable to a bird statue or having to walk down a corridor to properly stagger the traps.

I also ran a quick test for 30 minutes:

65A266FD65378589DFE454221AC2D9DC29AD8284

187 worms, consistent with the rate you observed after a lot more testing. Whatever was causing the spawn rate issues previously with this set-up for me has been resolved, and it seems that one dummy is sufficient to power the teleporters below the spawn surface. It also seems OK to keep the player position at a lower level even though the regular fungi bulbs sometimes hang out at the spawn surface. Elevating the player requires more traps, so I'm fine with the position depicted above.

It also seems OK to keep the player position at a lower level even though the regular fungi bulbs sometimes hang out at the spawn surface. Elevating the player requires more traps, so I'm fine with the position depicted above.
Mine was a lot higher than it needed to be. My original position had me lower than yours and the small bulbs weren't getting hit by the flame traps at all, so I just doubled the height. Then I had the problem of the big bulbs out of range of the flame traps.

I like the look of that, and it tells people exactly why they are being swamped by glowing blue critters.

@DicemanX

Have you rewired so that although the track runs in a loop, the activations are done in sweeps instead of oscillations? Is this even possible?

It is. This is the rough and untested layout of what that would look like.

Capture32w.PNG

Capture32wR.PNG Capture32wG.PNG Capture32wB.PNG
Loop refreshes teleporters sequentially left to right and toggles hoik track every four ticks with two dummies.

Pressure plates at the top of the loop are connected to red and green wiring to provide bypass through the hoik track to the teleporters. Except for when the loop is supposed to trigger a hoik track toggle with the top part of the loop, then green is left out (see top right pressure plate of loop). For the bottom part of the loop this is the opposite; pressure plates are wired to the teleporters with blue, and since no bypass is needed, a pressure plate is wired with green (instead of omitting green) in order to trigger a hoik track toggle (see bottom left pressure plate of loop).

Obviously, the wiring to the despawn teleporter is shortened in this example and would have to be the longest wiring length between teleporters in a working build. Also, the dummy on the right is assumed to be of earlier priority than the dummy of the left, by means of its positioning relative to the player. Should that change, the hoiking track which moves the dummy on the right to the teleporter into the loop would have to be shorter/longer. I'm not 100% sure the number of hoiking steps there is correct at the moment.

EDIT: Also the dummies should be on the right side of the teleporters... -_-

You should put a pixel art of the Truffle Worm there.
[DOUBLEPOST=1449032017,1448772808][/DOUBLEPOST]@DicemanX

You should put a pixel art of the Truffle Worm there.

Ino et Slimey visite la exposition du Art du le Ver Truffle!...

Yeah... I really have no idea how to speak French. But this is my first pixel art. Present for you!

Hey Joe, do you know on the quick if toggling the hoik track necessary for moving the truffle worms or letting them fall into the hoik track only?

Hey Joe, do you know on the quick if toggling the hoik track necessary for moving the truffle worms or letting them fall into the hoik track only?

They need to be toggled. However, it's perhaps possible that some position in the world might allow the worms to be hoiked without toggling, similar to how size 1 items can be hoiked without toggling. We couldn't figure out why certain positions in the world allowed for continuous hoiking of size 1 items and why other positions wouldn't.

They need to be toggled. However, it's perhaps possible that some position in the world might allow the worms to be hoiked without toggling, similar to how size 1 items can be hoiked without toggling. We couldn't figure out why certain positions in the world allowed for continuous hoiking of size 1 items and why other positions wouldn't.

Ah. So for the illusion of getting truffle worms quicker, it would make sense to toggle the hoik teeth at a faster rate than the full block spawn surface? I was wondering if I could coordinate that without an engine secondary to the loop engine.

Ah. So for the illusion of getting truffle worms quicker, it would make sense to toggle the hoik teeth at a faster rate than the full block spawn surface? I was wondering if I could coordinate that without an engine secondary to the loop engine.

It would be interesting to see just how fast we can move the worms with hoiks and whether reaching the max toggle rate would make a difference. Their movement speed in the hoik track is a bit inconsistent though, because it depends on whether the worms try to move forwards, backwards, or if they try to remain stationary.

It might also be worth examining whether alternating the actuation state of the teeth in the track makes any difference. Lastly, the worms can be pushed forward using both top hoiks (which ZeroGravitas used in his farm) and bottom hoiks (which I now use) so both might need to be tested.

would be interesting to see just how fast we can move the worms with hoiks and whether reaching the max toggle rate would make a difference. Their movement speed in the hoik track is a bit inconsistent though, because it depends on whether the worms try to move forwards, backwards, or if they try to remain stationary.

It might also be worth examining whether alternating the actuation state of the teeth in the track makes any difference. Lastly, the worms can be pushed forward using both top hoiks (which ZeroGravitas used in his farm) and bottom hoiks (which I now use) so both might need to be tested.

I don't think reaching max toggle rate will have an effect on long term farming, as you have pointed out many times now, but I'm thinking the average user would probably just farm for 3 or 5 worms before heading out to fight Fisheron and in that case, yeah, a fast hoik track would be nice.

I both noticed the stall of the worms in the hoik track as you described and had a look at how Ziggy made hoik track before playing around with my own build. I'm uncertain of how the alternating teeth would improve the hoiking, but I imagine it might prevent the "jamming" hoik which would be the one on the right when hoiking from the left from winning precedence depending on how the worm moves. Alternatively, the stall might more simply be solved by mirroring the build and having a right-to-left hoik track so that the forward moving hoik always has precedence.

Not sure how you could use the up hoiks when you continually need to actuate the hoik ceiling to let worms fall into the hoik track.

I'm uncertain of how the alternating teeth would improve the hoiking, but I imagine it might prevent the "jamming" hoik which would be the one on the right when hoiking from the left from winning precedence depending on how the worm moves.

I think the worms move slower when they collide with the flat vertical surface of the adjacent tooth, causing them to reverse direction and thus move slower in the track. Maybe the alternating teeth might limit that or eliminate it entirely. When they don't alternate, if a worm is moving forward while also propelled by the teeth it will inevitably collide at some point with the vertical wall of one of the hoik teeth (I think).

Not sure how you could use the up hoiks when you continually need to actuate the hoik ceiling to let worms fall into the hoik track.

We could do it by having two mushroom spawn surfaces (just like Bahamut2001's set-up), and the teleporters below would be hammered to have top hoiks. The bottom of the two mushroom surfaces would have the same actuation state as the teleporter teeth so that every time the teeth are in the foreground there's a ceiling above as well. Should work, because that's basically ZeroGravitas's set-up minus the additional top spawn surface.

I think the worms move slower when they collide with the flat vertical surface of the adjacent tooth, causing them to reverse direction and thus move slower in the track. Maybe the alternating teeth might limit that or eliminate it entirely. When they don't alternate, if a worm is moving forward while also propelled by the teeth it will inevitably collide at some point with the vertical wall of one of the hoik teeth (I think).

I think this is essentially the same thing as what I am saying. When the worms horizontal center passes over the "wall" of the next hoik tooth, it passes into a hoik jamming situation and needs to reverse direction to get hoiked again. Then again maybe the stall is simply the missing activation in your linear hoik loop where the pressure plates come every three tiles, and the actor is being pushed two?

We could do it by having two mushroom spawn surfaces (just like Bahamut2001's set-up), and the teleporters below would be hammered to have top hoiks. The bottom of the two mushroom surfaces would have the same actuation state as the teleporter teeth so that every time the teeth are in the foreground there's a ceiling above as well. Should work, because that's basically ZeroGravitas's set-up minus the additional top spawn surface.

Trying to bend my mind around his set up there... I'm sure it works, just thinking how.

Would it make a difference if you added a layer of wooden platforms one tile above the mushroom grass? Would that still count as empty space above the grass? That way some mobs would spawn on the platforms, keeping the worms safer. And you could also have actuated teleporters on the platforms sending them of to be despawned.

Would it make a difference if you added a layer of wooden platforms one tile above the mushroom grass? Would that still count as empty space above the grass? That way some mobs would spawn on the platforms, keeping the worms safer. And you could also have actuated teleporters on the platforms sending them of to be despawned.

If you put a platform on top of the mushroom grass it would eliminate all mushroom biome spawns. Mob spawns can initiate in mid-air, and when they do they will manifest on the first available surface directly below, so all spawns would occur on the platforms. No free surface can be above mushroom grass.

If you put a platform on top of the mushroom grass it would eliminate all mushroom biome spawns. Mob spawns can initiate in mid-air, and when they do they will manifest on the first available surface directly below, so all spawns would occur on the platforms. No free surface can be above mushroom grass.

OK, good to know. I'm about to start work on my TW farm after a tonne of excavation, which is the best way to go? There's a lot of different versions on this thread!!

I have a ton of flame traps, but no dummies to stagger them; would it make a huge difference to spawn rates if I use a skeleton statue?

Not at all. However, you cannot have a skeleton statue off-screen because it will despawn. You can use a town NPC instead, so long as their assigned house remains on-screen. One town NPC shouldn't affect spawn rates.

Back
Top Bottom