Shroomite or Red Riding armor?

Bonez

Terrarian
With the release of 1.4.1, Red riding armor has been buffed and Shroomite remains unaltered. Red riding armor now has a 20% ammo cost reduction and +10% crit chance. This being said, would it be wise to use red riding armor instead of shroomite for end-game fights such as moon lord and empress of light?

Here is a current comparison of the two armor sets:

ShroomiteRed Riding armor
+51 defense
x1.15 ammo of choice damage
+13% ranged damage
+25% ranged crit chance
+20% chance to not consume ammo
+12% movement speed

Set bonus:
Stealth mode ability

+48 defense
+25% ranged damage
+60% minion damage
+20% ranged crit chance
+20% chance to not consume ammo
+20% movement speed
+3 extra sentry slots

Set bonus:
Increases max number of sentries
Greatly enhances Explosive Traps effectiveness

As you can see, red riding armor gives an over all 25% increased ranged and shroomite gives +13% ranged in addition to x1.15 increased ammo damage.

I suppose the real question is this: Is 25% ranged damage better than 13% plus 1.15x ammo damage? (Ignoring set bonuses, since shroomite's is unusable against bosses imo)

Also, maybe mixing and matching is best too. Let me know what you all think!

(Stats were taken from the wiki and new stats from the changelog. I also looked at them in-game)

Another thought: Why not combine your Shroomite helmet of choice and the Red Riding dress to get 25% increased ranged damage as well as x1.15 increased ammo damage? The 20% chance to not consume ammo would still be there, and it's a bigger damage boost than if you would use the shroomite breastplate!

(not to mention the shroomite helmets give 3 more defense than Red Riding hood)

I never realized this but I would probably go with the Red Riding set. Its buffs seem more helpful, along with the set bonus, get some random sentries for a little more dps and you're finished.

One thing to point out is that you can use the necromantic scroll and papyrus scarab with red riding hood armor and Xeno Staff or Stardust Dragon Staff. If you combine it with a summoning table and summoning potion, you can get the same minion damage and number of minions as Spooky Armor with all of the ranged bonuses on top of that. It means sacrificing two slots and a lot of fishing, though.

Edit: Also, the explosive traps are great for killing Mourning Woods and Everscreams/Santa NK-1's below you while you're fighting Pumpkings and Ice Queens.

Back
Top Bottom