Serious Sick of comparing between Minecraft and Terraria

Echi

Terrarian
Hi all,

After spending a considerable amount of time in the Terraria subreddit. I saw that numerous posts comparing Terraria and Minecraft. Additionally, a developer or moderator (I can't recall who it was) appears to be supporting it rather than putting an end to the discussion, but on the minecraft meme reddit, they appear to be cool with Terraria and I’ve never seen they hate it.

I believe the debate between Minecraft and Terraria should be put to rest or at least moderated because I adore both games equally, play both since the beginning and they are unique in their own right. Every single one of my Minecraft friends also play Terraria.
What do you guys think? May be another crossover like the creeper costume one? <3 <3<3

Best regard, Echin

Last edited:
Yeah the comparison between Minecraft and Terraria is kinda dumb and definitely growing old. They are both sandbox games with a pixel art style that came out around the same time and Terraria does have some survival elements, but that’s where most similarities end. They are very different games with very different goals which is why it’s so dumb to compare them based on gameplay or the number of items, weapons, enemies, biomes, bosses, etc. To make an obvious analogy, it’s like trying to compare apples and oranges. They are both fruits but they each have different flavors and textures that different people prefer or equally enjoy. Comparing the games based on content and gameplay is redundant because each player has their own person preferences.

Now with all that being said I do think there is one valid objective comparison between the games and that is the quality of each game. Re-Logic has made a very polished game and in each updated have added items, enemies, biomes, and features that are well thought out and add to the game in a meaningful way. They also intently listen to community feedback while not letting it influence what is best for the game.

Mojang on the other hand has recently been adding features that add little to nothing to the game instead of fixing/improving what is severely broken. In past updates like the Update Aquatic and Nether Update they somewhat succeeded in making meaningful changes but recently they’ve really lost their touch. They also promise to add underdeveloped ideas in the Minecon Votes that almost always turn out half-baked. You can’t fully trust players to make decisions that are good for the game.

But I think Mojang’s biggest problem and what REALLY brings down the quality of Minecraft is how they limit what they can do with arbitrary rules. They don’t make certain changes that could improve the game because “it would go against Minecraft’s core principles.” Re-Logic is willing to make big changes that might greatly alter the gameplay experience or go against what they think the game should be to improve the game's quality. For example in 1.4.4 they got rid of Mud drying out due to infection even though Redigit originally wanted the Jungle to be permanently damaged by Corruption. Mojang on the other hand won’t even add small things like hostile animals, tools that break multiple blocks at once, or more detailed building blocks like sideways slabs because of irrational rules found in their secret book of design guidelines. Design guidelines are good but they can easily be taken to far.

The TLDR is that the only thing that makes Terraria objectively better then Minecraft doesn't come from the bosses, enemies, weapons, building materials, the number of items, or gameplay. It’s the quality of each game and how each team of devs adds to their game, implement community ideas, and approach game-changing features. I love Minecraft and still enjoy playing it with my friends but Terraria is just leagues ahead when it comes to how much more polished and balanced the game is.

Last edited:
Both are great games. The customizability and content supplied in both are almost endless, they should not be compared head-to-head. Both games have each their own good qualities.

I definitely love both games but I am concerned with Mojang’s recent strategy of making an update every year. That strategy has lead to stuff like Caves and Cliffs being cut into parts instead of whole complete updates, which I find to be less enjoyable

Glad to see other people think like I do. Personally, I really enjoy Minecraft update as a whole as it feels minimalist.
TBH, I only play 3 games for most of my life; Minecraft, Terraria, PVZ.

Do you guys think the subreddit should be moderated to people comparing or just let it be? I think I once saw a moderator maybe terra reddit twitter mod (?) made fun of Minecraft as well. Is it just me or Reddit has more toxic fanbases compare to this forum?

Last edited:
Do you guys think the subreddit should be moderated to people comparing or just let it be? I think I once saw a developer or moderator maybe terra reddit twitter mod (?) made fun of Minecraft as well. Is it just me or Reddit has more toxic fanbases compare to this forum?
While I would prefer it if people stopped making surface-level comparisons (because it's getting old) I know it can't be moderated and controlled. Players have the right to share opinions and as long as they are not harming other people they can say what they want. The internet is going to be the internet and when you try to avoid that people get angry.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the developers making jabs at Minecraft. Re-Logic is actually friends with Notch so 90% of the time it's not super serious and just for fun. The other 10% is criticism directed at the current changes Microsoft and Mojang have made which I think is warranted because they are kinda mucking up the game.

Last edited:
I can fully agree with this entire post.
The games have basically no similarities between them.
There are certain blocks, but every game like this has those blocks.
There are some of the same enemies, but they are drastically different.
Zombies in Minecraft (Quite stupid and cannot open doors, can come with weapons)
Zombies in Terraria (Significantly smarter, do more damage, spawn with weapons more often, drops said weapon occasinally)
Skeletons in Minecraft (Stupid, miss their shots more than half the time, never have anything but a bow)
Skeletons in Terraria (Smart, have no weapons)
Slimes in Minecraft (Stupid, split up when killed)
Slimes in Terraria (Stupid, don't split up, with the exception of mother and corrupt slimes)
Minecraft only has 4 bosses
Terraria has 14 bosses, 17 if you count the deleted bosses, (Ocram, Turkor the Ungrateful, Lepus)
Minecraft has a wide selection of items, Terraria has thousands.
There are so many other differences as well, but I lost the will to make this list the instant I started.

I personally enjoy when ppl generally compare these two games at this point, because...
  1. ...it let's me know how they form their opinions, if serious (very surface level)...
  2. ...if they're not actually serious, they're obviously a troll...
Makes "sussing out" who's who in certain places, very easy IMHO.

Honestly, TCF is very sheltered compared to most other sites, there's probably less than 50,000 members here, while most social media platforms have memberships well into the millions.

Honestly, TCF is very sheltered compared to most other sites, there's probably less than 50,000 members here, while most social media platforms have memberships well into the millions.
I don’t do social media. I make this slight compromise for Terraria and exactly because there isn’t 9 trillion people. I won’t even “talk” much on Steam forums unless necessary.

Is it just me or Reddit has more toxic fanbases compare to this forum?

It's :red:ing Reddit, that's not even a remotely similar place to here, considering you actually get punished for being an :red: hat here, whereas on Reddit, I'd say it's encouraged to be as toxic as possible.

200k members
on topic both games are so different that you can't compare the two it's like comparing apples to oranges

I have never played Minecraft, so take things with a grain of salt ( :p), but I've watched a fair few videos and am ofc familiar with it at a superficial level. It's kinda like directly comparing Terraria and RimWorld. They're both 2D blocky, creative/sandbox games, but the gameplay is wildly different.

I once saw a youtube video saying that terraria was a ripoff of a ton of games because it had a bunch of different mechanics other games had.

Back
Top Bottom