Side projects you prioritize in new characters/worlds

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
In every new character I begin, I've noticed that one thing in particular is consistent with them - fishing. Somehow it's remarkably fun and I've noticed that obtaining a good fishing rod often takes precedence over everything else (barring a pickaxe) in every new playthrough. I'm curious if anyone else seems to experience this form of "high" that I do, and what that may be for you lot out there.

20+ skeleton(that is to say, uninhabited) NPC houses because there's no point making one for each new progress when you can just dump them into prison as soon as they appear.

And storage areas, after acquiring enough materials. Disorganized chests is my bane, so I try to avoid it as soon as is possible.

I too enjoy fishing, but mainly for the reaver shark. I enjoy building houses early game, seeing what people make with little resources is fun!

It's all a side project. There are a million things to do as a new character it seems.
Just getting building materials early is a big deal, then its armor, next is exploring the desert since those worms will kill you dead if you go in right away..

While I don't mind fishing I have always hated fishing quests the fact that you have to wait a whole day for a new one and the excessive rarity of several angler drops is a tedious process. Though this really only affects the Mythical Hotline Fishing Rod.

Early game houses for me tend to be quiet lacking aesthetically only providing needed amenities. (All my fancier constructions come from my late game characters on a world that passed very stringent requirements. (No altars destroyed,WOF stripes not intersecting any noteable biomes and fully quarantined, No natural Crimson/Corruption intersecting a major biome, and a relatively interesting place worthy of a long term establishment)
I spend most early game rainy days/nights collecting worms and normal nights collecting fallen stars first to max my mana then for arrows and enchanted bait. The rest of the time is either spelunking/fishing(where all crates are stored for hardmode) building a garden for herbs or

After that I ...er... move onto killing things or terraforming... Like 2000 Eaters of Souls for a full set of Ancient Shadow Scale Armor and converting the natural corruption into a vile mushroom farm...
Or flattening the entire world surface to be easily traversable yet still maintaining a "natural" look... as well as making my main cavern paths easily exploreable/nice to look at and relatively safe... and making the mushroom biome I create on the surface look "natural".

Last edited:
Hmm... Something I do no matter which new character I do...

Get as many types of building materials as I can, and upgrade from that shortsword to a wooden or what ever material I have gathered.

Beyond that, I'd say a storage area eventually, and a place for each of the NPCs; even if I can't get them yet.

I guess the main thing that changes from world to world is the purpose or buildings that I build. Soooo most my new play-throughs end up quite similar; with the exception that I always just use what I find or have. So sometimes weapons and things end up different sometimes. I usually have something in mind to do or accomplish every time I play, or in the very least partially accomplish; I am pretty lax on that with my turtle's pace. :dryadsmile:

Note Extra: Another thing would be scouting out a place to start building being something I always do.

I always seem to prioritise getting every weapon I want from a certain point in the game before moving on to progress. In my recent magic playthrough, I was using spears until I got Meteor Armour and Space Gun (as well as Water Bolt, lucky dungeon FTW) just because I was so focused on getting that before doing anything else. I also try to focus on creating efficient traps and arenas to try and maximise my chances against my next major foe.

My priorities when creating a new character and world:

1) Set up 'workshop', with enough NPC housing to house the Guide, Merchant and Arms Dealer.
2) Break pots in order to get some bombs and enough coins for the Merchant to spawn.
3) Obtain a Musket/Undertaker from a shadow orb/heart.
4) Obtain a Reaver Shark and Sawtooth Shark.

After that, I start to just do whatever I feel I need to do.

I have to use every new weapon in any update till I get a feel for it. I keep a lot of old weapons, up to the point they're completely obsolete. Also I love building my houses in interesting or ideal locations. I won't break the earth till I've found a cave ceiling or high cliff or strange cave/giant tree combo to work off of. Currently finishing my masterpiece built into the top of a natural mountain.

for me I go straight to the underground ice biome, because there is some cool loot to get there, and when I get into the middle of prehardmode, I start to think about houses, but I almost never usually do any fishing

I too have an addiction to prioritizing fishing at the beginning with new characters + worlds. I will usually try to get a bucket as soon as I can get enough Iron/Lead and then use it to create a large good quality lake where I've established my base. Then fish for crates until I can get the Sailfish boots to ensure I have good running shoes asap. After getting that item. I save up new crates I fish for hardmode.

Also getting a Gold or Platinum Watch has become a very high priority to me that I prioritize even over a Gold/Platinum Pickaxe, because I have to know the time so I can plan out fishing and fighting bosses at night. As well as when to harvest plants and other things.

My other main side projects in any playthrough I do includes trying to acquire a Mushroom Grass Seed and a Jungle Grass seed. So I can establish Surface Mushroom and Jungle Biomes near my base for easy access to building materials (Mushrooms) and Bait (Grubbies and Sluggies from Jungle Plants).

for me I go straight to the underground ice biome, because there is some cool loot to get there, and when I get into the middle of prehardmode, I start to think about houses, but I almost never usually do any fishing

This is something I've been looking into lately as well. It seems the underground ice biome really provides a ton of resources, whether it's accessories, weapons, anything really.

1. make a house for the guide and the demolitionist
2. Find bombs
3. Explode those orbs/hearts
4. Meteor
I usually can skip all ore armors this way

Back
Top Bottom