Simple Chest Organization System

Penguin90x

Terrarian
Hello fellow adventurers ~:happy: !

Today i decided to share my way of organizing my storage room, it is a very simple system, easy to learn & remember :) !
Basicly the groups go like this :
  • Potions (which you can subdivize)
  • Weapons (Melee, Magic, Ranged,Summoner)
  • Ammo
  • Vanity (for armor sets i use mannequins)
  • Dyes
  • Crafting Stations (extra crafting units and machines)
  • Tools (picks, saws, hammers, painting brushes etc)
  • Equipements (hooks, pets, mounts, etc)
  • Accessories
  • Mechanics (wiring and its tools, traps etc)
  • Mob drops (lenses, rotten chunks, worm tooths etc)
  • Nature (mushrooms, flowers, fallen stars, crystal hearts etc)
  • Ores (raw ores and bars)
  • Blocks (dirt, sand, ash, clay, stone etc)
  • Building Materials (bricks, walls)
  • Fish (caught fish & crates)
  • Fishing Tools (bait, accessories, rods etc)
  • Furniture
  • Statues
  • Banners
And a picture for you to save if you want to use or customize this system your own way :happy: !

L0TknMa.png

You are very welcome to share with us your storage room and chest organizing systems ! i know a lot of people out there were just like me before i take time to make an organized chest room :confused:

Well thank you!I never organize my chests and end up trashing everything everywhere.This really helps me!I will try and organize more!

I have a similar setup but I think you're a little short on chests. Alchemy may require more than 4, equipment, ores, and each weapon type (especially melee) may require more than 1. In my current world I have 4 chests already of accessories and I have just started hardmode.

I keep potions with their ingredients so I can see the crafting recipe.

Packing them all together as you've done is the best method, the less you have to move with that much chest management the better.

I tend to have four separate areas in my worlds/houses:

1). Gold Chests for equipment and vanity. I will make entire rows of these and will dump in stuff as I get them. I rarely find that organization is a problem, though I will use a separate chest for "Accessory Combines" (Ankh Shield/Cell Phone/Frostspark Boots etc).

2). Crafting Room. I'll normally make a row of normal wooden chests underneath the floor where the crafting workstations are. I'll usually do something like this, from Left to Right:

a). Normal Mode Ores and Bars
b). Normal Mode Materials (jungle spores, vines, stingers, heart crystals, etc)
c). Hardmode Ores and Bars
d). Hardmode Materials (pixie dust, unicorn horns, crystal shards, ichor, etc)
e). Dyes
f). Mechanics (Wires, switches, etc)
g). Banners (IIRC it takes 3-4 chests to get at least 1 of every banner so I plan 4 chests for this)

3). Alchemy. This is simple -- one Ivy Chest for seeds (which is near the planter area), a Glass Chest for potions (I find that every useful potion in the game will fit in one chest) and an ingredients chest (usually Mahogany) right next to it. Both of these are next to a small pool of water and an alchemy station. Everything I need to make whatever I need is right there. I'll usually also put a piggybank near that as well so that I can put commonly-used battle potions in it (Ironskin/Rejuv mainly).

4). Biome Chests, I will usually use Ice or Mushroom Chests for these... I'll put Dirt Blocks, Stone Blocks, etc in these. I'll usually tie two types together, such as "Dirt & Stone", "Mud & Ash", "Snow & Ice", etc.

And lastly, I will usually stick a chest in the Angler's room (a water chest)

I find that with this sort of setup, I am never needing room and I almost never have any need for further organization.

Here's a screenshot of a sample house with this being done:

index.php

You can see the Mushroom Biome Chests on the right, the Wood Chests that I mentioned on the Bottom (though I put the Fishing Chest here instead of in the Angler's Room), and the Seeds Chest (the Marble one next to the normal furnace in the glass area), the Ingredients and Potion Chests in the Dryad's room, and the rows of gold chests I've got started for equipment.

Well, this one's still incomplete, but I got the basics set up:

qw9UP0EUS6k2Bu_XfBcjNiC_JMCapq0bG0dy24ePPnQ

Starting from the bottom:
  • Bottom Row:
    • Trash Can - Dirt
    • Wooden Chest - Clay
    • Barrel - Stone/Gray Brick
    • Ice Chest 1 - Snow/Snow Brick, Ice/Ice Brick, Slush
    • Ice Chest 2 - Candy Cane, Green Candy Cane, Pine Tree, Rainbow Block
    • Cactus Chest 1 - Cactus, Stone Slab, Sandstone Slab, Desert Fossils
    • Cactus Chest 2 - Sand, Sandstone, Sandstone Brick, Hardened Sandstone
    • Corrupt Chest - Mostly Everything Ebon (stone, stone brick, Sand, Sandstone, Hardened Sandstone)
    • Crimson Chest - Mostly Everything Crim (Stone, Sand, Sandstone, Hardened Sandstone)
    • Hallowed Chest - Mostly Everything Pearl (stone, stone brick, Sand, Sandstone, Hardened Sandstone)
    • Frozen Chest - Purple/Red/Pink Ice
    • Water Chest - Coralstone (Still looking for more ocean building materials to add to this)
    • Mushroom Chest - Glowing Mushrooms
    • Meteorite Chest - Meteorite (duh)
    • Obsidian Chest - Obsidian
    • Web Covered Chest - Web, Silk, Web Rope
  • Second Row from bottom:
    • Gold Chest 1 - Copper, Tin, Iron, Lead, Silver, Tungsten, Gold, Platinum, Demonite, Crimtane (Ore, Bar, Brick/Plating)
    • Gold Chest 2 - Meteorite, Obsidian, Hellstone, Cobalt, Palladium, Mythril, Orichalcum, Adamantite, Titanium, Hallowed (Ore, Bar, Brick/Brick Equivalants)
    • Gold Chest 3 - Chlorophyte, Ectoplasm/Spectre, Shroomite, Solar/Vortex/Nebula/Stardust Fragments, Luminite (Ore, Bar, Brick/Blocks)
    • Living Wood Chest - Wood, Wood Walls, Wooden Beams, Planked Wall
    • Rich Mahogany/Boreal/Palm/Ebon/Shade/Pearl/Spooky Wood chests hold their appropriate woods
    • Ivy Chest - Mud, Mudstone
    • Dynasty Chest - Dynasty Wood, Red Dynasty Shingles, Blue Dynasty Shingles
    • Pumpkin Chest - Pumpkin, Hay
    • Granite Chest - Granite, Smooth Granite
    • Marble Chest - Marble, Smooth Marble
  • Third Row from bottom:
    • Shadow Chest - Ash, Iridescent Brick, Silt, Red/Yellow/Green/Gray Stucco
    • Skyware Chest - Sunplate Block, Cloud, Rain Cloud
    • Jungle Chest - Gems, Gemspark Blocks, Gemspark Walls
    • Lihzahrd Chest 1 - Lihzahrd Bricks
    • Lihzahrd Chest 2 - Active Block, Inactive Block, Explosives, Other traps, Spikes, Wooden Spikes
    • Glass Chest - Glass, Waterfall, Lavafall, Honeyfall, Confetti, Midnight Confetti (Block, Wall), Stained Glass (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Multi-Colored)
    • Steampunk Chest 1 - Cogs
    • Steampunk Chest 2 - Living Fire (all variants), Smoke Block, Bubble
    • Honey Chest - Hive, Honey, Crispy Honey (Block, Walls)
    • Slime Chest - Slime, Frozen Slime, Pink Slime, Asphalt
    • Bone Chest - Bone, Bone Block
    • Blue Dungeon Chest - Blue Brick, Blue Brick/Slab/Tiled Wall
    • Green Dungeon Chest - Green Brick, Green Brick/Slab/Tiled Wall
    • Pink Dungeon Chest - Pink Brick, Pink Brick/Slab/Tiled Wall
    • Flesh Chest - Flesh Block, Flesh Wall
    • Martian Chest - Martian Conduit Plating
  • Fourth Row from bottom:
    • Chest 1,2,3 - Random item storage atm
    • Gold Chest - Boss Souls
    • Shadow Chest - storage for all 40 types of chests.
  • Chests near crafting stations:
    • Stores furniture made from these stations

Last edited:
My chests are in no specific place, regardless of what is inside them.
I organize them like this:

1 Money, minerals, bars and precious things
2 Clothes
3 Dyes
4 Blocks and furnitures
5 Equipment and weapons
6 Alchemy (bottles, ingredients and potions)
7 Specific stuff i want to keep separated from everything else

I haven't got access to mine for screenshots as I'm at work (ssh Terraria forums are important!) But I always end up making little builds and keeping chests with them. Little greenhouse for plants and potions. So the potions, herbs and seeds chests are kept here. Blacksmith hut for all my crafting, chest for pre-hard mode and a chest for hard mode ores/bars.

I do have a general storage for all the materials, consumables etc. I try to have most of the armours and weapons on display instead of in chests as well.

Back
Top Bottom