PC Simplifying the full adder module...

ekinator

Empress of Light
I wanted to write about how I got this far in compacting the module, but I got lazy XD
For anyone who wants to use this I hope the gif will be enough of an explanation:
JCEQc2C.gif

I wanted to write about how I got this far in compacting the module, but I got lazy XD
For anyone who wants to use this I hope the gif will be enough of an explanation:
JCEQc2C.gif
That's actually very simple, I couldn't have done better

Yeah, it really doesn't get much more simpler than that.
I have been working on a few small simple devices to use in an adventure map. But Tedit seems to fail to work on editing the maps. The maps just fail to load and can only load the backup map before any changes were made with Tedit. Also my computer is a slow piece of :red: and can't run any version of Terraria passed 1.3.3.3. So trying to make stuff and test them out has really sucked.
`:(

How in the world does this work? Does it really function as a full adder? If this really works I'm very impressed that you got it down to a single gate.

How in the world does this work? Does it really function as a full adder?
connecting many inputs to a single output simulates an XOR (not true in real life) gate that activates when there are an odd number of inputs. And since the XOR gate is not universal I had to use at least one actual logic gate to make the module.
In reality it looks like this:
PN7YQVQ.png

[doublepost=1485351532,1485351454][/doublepost]that explanation is so bad XD
[doublepost=1485460713][/doublepost]I got the full subtractor down to two gates (didn't get as lucky in finding the right combination. Might try to brute force every single wire and logic gate combination)
rEpkHis.png

I'm just starting with gates and logic and seeing nice compact examples of essential components is really helpful. Thanks a lot!

I wish there were more of these, somehow logically organized, so that I could just grab some and build some interesting systems 8)

connecting many inputs to a single output simulates an XOR (not true in real life) gate that activates when there are an odd number of inputs. And since the XOR gate is not universal I had to use at least one actual logic gate to make the module.
In reality it looks like this:
PN7YQVQ.png

[doublepost=1485351532,1485351454][/doublepost]that explanation is so bad XD
[doublepost=1485460713][/doublepost]I got the full subtractor down to two gates (didn't get as lucky in finding the right combination. Might try to brute force every single wire and logic gate combination)
rEpkHis.png
I would use Logisim for showing a real life example because in Terraria you can't make the wires curve. In Logisim they don't, so setting up your logic gates and wiring would be more similar to how you would need to do it in Terraria. Now if only there was a way to color the wires in Logisim. Really we just need a Terraria Logic Gate Simulator. `:)
Logisim_Version.png

I'm just starting with gates and logic and seeing nice compact examples of essential components is really helpful. Thanks a lot!

I wish there were more of these, somehow logically organized, so that I could just grab some and build some interesting systems 8)
I want to change other circuits and components like this, but the game won't launch at the moment. (blame windows creators update)

I want to change other circuits and components like this, but the game won't launch at the moment. (blame windows creators update)
Yeah I had some really weird lags after the update also... Thankfully mine went away after I signed out and logged in couple of times... So weird :D

I spent some time trying to learn out how to compress everything and I figured out a process to make a single AND gate to do the work of two or even three of them. So I compressed in my opinion the most complicated arithmetic module of the four basic ones. The divider.
uNyfqsA.gif

Some schematics to actually use this thing are here.

I also got the full subtractor down to a single gate for all your compact needs.
g4NoLe7.gif
*the gif has some high compression going on so it might not be visible that the bottom lamp of the and gate is on*

This is great, thank you! :D I bet it will help many ppl here ^^

Making electronics is surprisingly hard... :D But I'm getting there slowly ;)

Got the multiplier made in the same style.
KC0rnIW.gif
some schematics for building
PS. I make these circuits keeping in mind, that I might use them in a way where all of the inputs will be sent in the same tick. That's why I avoided a smaller version of the module where there was one of the signals went through a chain of two gates rather than all of them going through one meaning that you had to add extra buffer gates to compensate the ones that didn't go through two gates making the overall build larger.

EDIT: somebody stop me
VXfrwMS.gif

Last edited:
This is great, thank you! :D I bet it will help many ppl here ^^

Making electronics is surprisingly hard... :D But I'm getting there slowly ;)

It's not that hard. Things might seem complex when you look at a very big circuit. But if you break things down to their basic functions, it's not hard.
It is nice to see there are a few people making more compact layouts for circuits.
`:)

It's not that hard. Things might seem complex when you look at a very big circuit. But if you break things down to their basic functions, it's not hard.
It was surprisingly hard to start for me at least. I wasted a month not making a single working thing, not even a full adder because of the :red: gate smoke messing with every single thing.

Really? ':eek: I'm not sure if I ever remember seeing the smoke. I guess I did also know about how logic gates worked from playing around in Minecraft. But things in Minecraft are a lot bulkier and clunkier. `:D You had to build logic gates. I'm glad Terraria has actual logic gate items that make things a lot more compact.
For me this stuff seemed very simple. Once you know how the basic logic gates worked, you just combine them to do more things. Of course I think it would help people out a lot to know how they work in real life. Maybe when I have a better computer I will make a guide for people that are new to wiring and show how real life vs Terraria logic gates work. But also I would like to show people some practical application for wiring and logic gates. I'm sure more people would want to use them, if they knew what they could be used for.

I don't believe you haven't seen any gate smoke. I've thrown out many ideas out the window because of the game thinks that an infinite loop has been made. It's like the main thing I have been whining about. There is even a thread pinned for how to prevent them.
Minecraft wiring is a lot closer to real life than terraria. It's easier to learn, but terraria has the advantage of greater speed with basically no delay from the moment a signal is sent and the logic gate items are also quite good. Thank the developer gods for the faulty logic gates, because a lot of useful things wouldn't be so easy to make without them. They also can bypass the infinite loop protection in certain cases, which is quite nice.

I don't believe you haven't seen any gate smoke. I've thrown out many ideas out the window because of the game thinks that an infinite loop has been made. It's like the main thing I have been whining about. There is even a thread pinned for how to prevent them.
Minecraft wiring is a lot closer to real life than terraria. It's easier to learn, but terraria has the advantage of greater speed with basically no delay from the moment a signal is sent and the logic gate items are also quite good. Thank the developer gods for the faulty logic gates, because a lot of useful things wouldn't be so easy to make without them. They also can bypass the infinite loop protection in certain cases, which is quite nice.

I guess I have never tried to make something that went into an infinite loop. But is that what causes the gates to smoke? And is that the only thing that makes it smoke? Maybe I will try it and make a smoke machine. `:D

that is not the only thing. I would say that the system is flawed. It stops the signals if a gate is forced to do multiple calculations in a single tick(a characteristic of what an infinite loop does), but there is this problem when the signals have went through different amount of logic gates before reaching its destination and triggering the prevention.
wbZRgNu.gif

there is not a single loop in that circuit and it would work perfectly if that buffer gate were to be removed or added to the second side of the wire.
7PMOdBT.png
this is a regular full adder
zESQek2.gif
and this is what happens when you remove the buffer gate I colored purple.
Yeah it gets frustrating real quick.

Back
Top Bottom