Items Skeleton Key

Spiderr

Plantera
I just killed the Dungeon Guardian, and it dropped a Skeleton Key. I was so happy until i found out it was only a pet. I don't get why, if you kill the (Opinion) hardest thing in the game, you get a pet that doesn't do anything. Can you fix this to be a minion that does damage or even a light pet, but not a pet has no purpose.

The Bone Key is just for looks. And, also, the most expensive item in Terraria is Parrot Cracker, and it's a pet summon item too!

Indeed, it's supposed to have no purpose.

Why should it need a purpose either?
If it's too weak, then it's not worth the fight,
and if it's too strong then people will yell out "Too OP, please nerf!".

therefore, if it has a functional item, then that means that you feel more obligatory to defeat this 'boss'.
while the Dungeon Guardian was not supposed to be fought at all.

The best thing for it is to have no purpose at all, just a small reward for defeating it that won't help you to progress in the game.

The problem with the Skeleton Key is you can cheese it on your first night, before nigh everything in Easymode, or the slime mount, or the many other ways that you can defeat the Dungeon Guardian. Unlike the Moon Lord, who has many prerequisite bosses that you need to conquer, the Dungeon Guardian is available at the start of the game. There is also the theory of rarity ≠ power, where rare things are not necessarily powerful, but should be balanced to their obtainment level. Skeleton Keys are exceedingly rare, and do not correspond to any stage of progression.
Also, we have boss trophies, masks, and pets, which do absolutely nothing except decoration, and show you beat the boss.
If it was a minion, it would either reduce DPS, or be ridiculously OP for a prehardmode item. And as for being a light pet, it would have no reason to be so. The current light pets are either actual lights, or based off of light-emitting/glowing enemies. The DG/Skeletron does not emit light or glow, why would a pet based off of them do the opposite.

TL;DR- No support, the Dungeon Guardian is not tied to any stage of progression and the easiest way to do it is to sit in a machine to defeat it.

Well, The moon lord drops endgame stuff, the dungeon guardian is harder so they can make the minion do 40 damage at a slow rate, good for early hardmode and really good for pre-hardmode
And also, i'd rather not work that hard trying to get a pet

Or it could do damage just very low damage. It would follow the bee pet as it would now target enemies but it would attack if it ran into it and it could do 2 damage with a crit of 3-4.

Here is the thing: The Dungeon Guardian is not meant to be beaten. He's just there to prevent people from getting in the Dungeon and grab the dungeon loots at the first 10 minutes.
If you did happen to beat him early (most likely cheesing), you get a pet to show that you've beaten it. The DG is not mandatory. Having him drop a weapon/armor will make people WANT to beat it. Hoo boy, prepare for a dungeon graveyard.
DG didn't even drop anything until one of the updates. And people are asking for more. Great.
Beating DG is a challenge, the key is just like a trophy for the collectors. Like in Hearthstone the heroic bosses are totally insane, and yet beating like 13+ of them only get you a card back for pure cosmetic.

Well, The moon lord drops endgame stuff, the dungeon guardian is harder so they can make the minion do 40 damage at a slow rate, good for early hardmode and really good for pre-hardmode
Moon Lord's weaker than DG? Oh wow, guess you're looking at pure stats, since I'm sure I can beat him once I get the Cosmic Car Key or any wings for that matter. Not with ML though.
Some people would. Don't want to? Don't do it then.

Or how about this: immediately summon ML when DG is defeated, and since ML is easier than DG, it would be easy to beat ML, and there, your precious reward.
/s

TL;DR: Not every challenge need a useful item as a reward. No support.

Last edited:
Here is the thing: The Dungeon Guardian is not meant to be beaten. He's just there to prevent people from getting in the Dungeon and grab the dungeon loots at the first 10 minutes.
If you did happen to beat him early (most likely cheesing), you get a pet to show that you've beaten it. The DG is not mandatory. Having him drop a weapon/armor will make people WANT to beat it. Hoo boy, prepare for a dungeon graveyard.
DG didn't even drop anything until one of the updates. And people are asking for more. Great.
Beating DG is a challenge, the key is just like a trophy for the collectors. Like in Hearthstone the heroic bosses are totally insane, and yet beating like 13+ of them only get you a card back for pure cosmetic.

Moon Lord's weaker than DG? Oh wow, guess you're looking at pure stats, since I'm sure I can beat him once I get the Cosmic Car Key or any wings for that matter. Not with ML though.

Some people would. Don't want to? Don't do it then.

Or how about this: immediately summon ML when DG is defeated, and since ML is easier than DG, it would be easy to beat ML, and there, your precious reward.
/s

TL;DR: Not every challenge need a useful item as a reward. No support.
your right...

The Bone Key is one of the easier pets to obtain. All you need are Fishron or Solar Flare Wings and the Dungeon Guardian can't reach you. (Though it was buffed in 1.3, so they may not work as well anymore.) Other pet items are among the rarest items in the game - Amber Mosquito and Lihzahrd Egg are ridiculously rare, for example.

The Bone Key is one of the easier pets to obtain.
I don't believe that's true, killing the dungeon guardian takes much time and preparation, like making a sky-bridge, and escape route through dungeon. Then it takes 15 minutes or longer to actually kill it, and one mistake and you have to restart. Amber mosquito can be obtained before hard-mode, and you said you could kill the dungeon guardian with fishron wings which is much much farther in the game. Another example you put out was the Lizhard egg. This may take much time and dedication, but you could simply set up a farm and go practically AFK.

I don't believe that's true, killing the dungeon guardian takes much time and preparation, like making a sky-bridge, and escape route through dungeon. Then it takes 15 minutes or longer to actually kill it, and one mistake and you have to restart. Amber mosquito can be obtained before hard-mode, and you said you could kill the dungeon guardian with fishron wings which is much much farther in the game. Another example you put out was the Lizhard egg. This may take much time and dedication, but you could simply set up a farm and go practically AFK.
Every people who know what hoik is and know how it works can easily make a hoik loop and solo it first night. So DG can be defeated before HM.

It would be neat if the dungeon guardian dropped a skeleton key (as well as a bone key) in hardmode that can open gold and shadow chests, but it shouldn't open any other locked stuff (biome chests, lihzahrd door)
Or just have the skeleton key be a drop from something like the lunatic cultist or giant cursed skulls (as they have no drops atm)

It is mostly a matter of opinion. As mentioned previously, I beat the DG with Fishron Wings and Vampire Knives. (Not for healing of course! But because Vampire Knives fire a bunch of projectiles at once - the more projectiles, the more +1 damage potential. And I didn't need to worry too much about accuracy.) In my opinion, that's easier than gathering huge piles of silt or exploring worlds hoping for a chest to contain the right item.

It probably comes down to definition of easiest. The Bone Key is 'easy' to obtain in that you know exactly how to get it. Amber Mosquito is luck and might require thousands upon thousands of silt/slush/fossil. Lihzahrd Egg is also luck-based and might require thousands of lizard kills. (It took me six hours if memory serves correctly.) And so on...

Anyway, that's all from me - I'm going a bit off-topic. :)

It is mostly a matter of opinion. As mentioned previously, I beat the DG with Fishron Wings and Vampire Knives. (Not for healing of course! But because Vampire Knives fire a bunch of projectiles at once - the more projectiles, the more +1 damage potential. And I didn't need to worry too much about accuracy.) In my opinion, that's easier than gathering huge piles of silt or exploring worlds hoping for a chest to contain the right item.

It probably comes down to definition of easiest. The Bone Key is 'easy' to obtain in that you know exactly how to get it. Amber Mosquito is luck and might require thousands upon thousands of silt/slush/fossil. Lihzahrd Egg is also luck-based and might require thousands of lizard kills. (It took me six hours if memory serves correctly.) And so on...

Anyway, that's all from me - I'm going a bit off-topic. :)
Well, make a minecart system that crosses all the world and ride with the craftable least minecart. And use a fast weapon(Minishark should work well) then it's easy as pie.
Haven't tried this, but I will make it as easy as it's possible :) Let's if the DG can be beaten pre-hardmode :)

Haven't tried this, but I will make it as easy as it's possible :) Let's if the DG can be beaten pre-hardmode :)
From previous readings, it might be possible to kill the DG by hitting it with a minecart travelling fast enough. Supposedly other invincible enemies can also be killed by ramming them with a minecart, including the Moon Dood's eyeballs.

From previous readings, it might be possible to kill the DG by hitting it with a minecart travelling fast enough. Supposedly other invincible enemies can also be killed by ramming them with a minecart, including the Moon Dood's eyeballs.
I haven't kill a monster intentionally by ramming it with a minecart, but doing it intentionally should be interesting. But no, I will just fire a Minishark from a minecart, I think this should be enaugh to an easy kill...

Back
Top Bottom