tModLoader SkyblockThoriumHelper

Psyclonic

Terrarian
SkyblockThoriumHelper

This is a simple mod that helps you play fencedin's Skyblock with the Thorium mod enabled.

I'm adding to this mod as I play through Skyblock with Thorium, so I've only added a few things so far.

Please let me know if there are things I should add!

Added so far (as of v0.2.3):
  • Recipes for building artificial Aquatic Depths biomes
    • [*]25 Granite, 25 Sand, 1 Bottled Water => 50 Marine Rock
      [*]25 Sand, 1 Basic Fish => 25 Brackish Clumps
  • Magma ore drops
    • 50% chance to drop from enemies near or in underworld. Drops 3-7 ore.
  • Bag of Potential drops increase with each vanilla pre-hardmode boss defeated.
    • After defeating the Eye, there is roughly 2.5%-3% chance of any enemy dropping Bag of Potential. However, in my mod, I have greatly increased this drop chance. After defeating the Eye, there is a 12% chance of drop. For each vanilla pre-hardmode Terraria boss defeated after the Eye, the drop rate increases by 3%, to a maximum of 24% (3% Thorium + 9% from Eye increase + 3% EoW/Brain, Skeletron, King Slime, Bee Queen).

I suppose to be accurate, you can defeat the bosses in any order, but, in my opinion, Thorium ore is designed to be collected after Eye (since that's when Bag of Potential starts dropping). Should you defeat the King Slime first (not uncommon), you will still have the 3% chance for enemies to drop the Bag of Potential, but the biggest increase still comes from the Eye (12% total increase).
  • Recipe to craft Blood Altar (for summoning pre-hardmode boss "The Viscount")
    • 10 Stone, 10 Blood, 5 Unholy Shards => 1 Blood Altar
  • Fishing of Scarlet Crates from water in Cavern or deeper. These crates can normally only be fished from lava (where Scarlet Chest can be found before hardmode)
  • Recipes added for several chests that are normally not craftable.
Comment here for feature requests.

Want to see the code or contribute?
Scowley4/SkyblockThoriumHelper

Thanks to Thorium creators and fencedin for creating great mod content.

Thanks to Wigginns for help with code.
Thanks to Wigginns, GGinger, and Momokie for helping test my mod as we play through Skyblock together.

Last edited:
This makes my gameplay for both mods much easier! But how do you get thorium ore?

As far as I know, Thorium ore can be obtained in 2 ways:

The first way (and main way in Skyblock) is from Bags of Potential. In regular Thorium, these can be obtained after defeating the Eye of Cthulhu. See below for exactly how this has been modified (current as of v0.3.2).

After defeating the Eye, there is roughly 2.5%-3% chance of any enemy dropping Bag of Potential. However, in my mod, I have greatly increased this drop chance. After defeating the Eye, there is a 12% chance of drop. For each vanilla pre-hardmode Terraria boss defeated after the Eye, the drop rate increases by 3%, to a maximum of 24% (3% Thorium + 9% from Eye increase + 3% EoW/Brain, Skeletron, King Slime, Bee Queen).

I suppose to be accurate, you can defeat the bosses in any order, but, in my oppinion, Thorium ore is designed to be collected after Eye (since that's when Bag of Potential starts dropping). Should you defeat the King Slime first (not uncommon), you will still have the 3% chance for enemies to drop the Bag of Potential, but the biggest increase still comes from the Eye (12% total increase).

The second way is from Strange Crates. This behavior has not been modified by SkyblockThoriumHelper in any way.

Please let me know if you feel like this is unfair (too easy or too hard) so we can modify the behavior to balance it. In my play-through, I have felt like this worked pretty well, though it may have made heart crystals too easy to get, since Bag of Potential also drops Heart Quartz? (By the time I added this feature, I had already crated up to 400hp)

Last edited:
How would I get the thorium gems? I've searched around and can't find any way to get them. Possibly add them to the exctractinator for silt, slush, fossils?

How would I get the thorium gems? I've searched around and can't find any way to get them. Possibly add them to the exctractinator for silt, slush, fossils?

I believe the two main ways to get Onyx and Opal are by extractinating brackish clumps (obtainable via recipe listed above under Aquatic Depths Recipes) or opening geodes (Hard mode). You can get Pearls this way as well or from the Aquatic Depths biome (which you can artificially create).

Thanks, I'll have to try both of those. Me and my son both play, and he really wants to make the rings from thorium
It's been a bit since I played, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Since you asked about gems, I'm assuming you are talking about the gem rings. But just as a note, you get the Ring of Unity through Scarlet Crates, which we have increased the chance to obtain via fishing (since Scarlet Chests don't exist).

Let me know if you run into any problems or missing items and I get them put in. =)

Depth's Rocks are needed to make an Aquatic Depths biome. Not Marine Rock.
[doublepost=1556222996,1556222899][/doublepost]Oh! Will there also be a Calamity helper?

Depth's Rocks are needed to make an Aquatic Depths biome. Not Marine Rock.
[doublepost=1556222996,1556222899][/doublepost]Oh! Will there also be a Calamity helper?

That's correct. You need to make Marine Rock (normally no recipe available) and then make Depths Rock via the standard recipe (Marine Rock and Aquaite Bar).

There isn't currently anything planned for Calamity, though that's a good idea. I haven't had time to play Calamity yet, so I would have to play it before I could make a helper for it :)

That's correct. You need to make Marine Rock (normally no recipe available) and then make Depths Rock via the standard recipe (Marine Rock and Aquaite Bar).

There isn't currently anything planned for Calamity, though that's a good idea. I haven't had time to play Calamity yet, so I would have to play it before I could make a helper for it :)
Sounds cool! How would I go about obtaining Aquaite? Strange Crates?

Can you add a recipe for the Magma-Bound Fishing Line? Perhaps it could use 1 High-Test Fishing Line and 15 Hellstone Bars and 5 Fireblossom? The fishing line doesn't drop from Scarlet Crates.

Can you add a recipe for the Magma-Bound Fishing Line? Perhaps it could use 1 High-Test Fishing Line and 15 Hellstone Bars and 5 Fireblossom? The fishing line doesn't drop from Scarlet Crates.

Done.

1 High-Test Fishing Line and 5 Hellstone Bars and 5 Fireblossom -> 1 Magma-bound Fishing Line

This is sic, I think it’s cool that you’re doing it during your play through instead of just trying to fix random things you can think of or that people suggest.

You. Are. The. BEST!

Buuut I just realized Magma bars make more sense. Either way, I am happy!

Yeah... Magma bars makes more sense. So I changed it. (Though you probably don't need another at this point)

1 High-Test Fishing Line, 10 Magma Bars, 5 Fireblossom -> 1 Magma-bound Fishing Line

Does magma ore stop dropping at a certain point, or is my RnG just being really weird?

It shouldn't...

Rules are that it can't drop from a boss, it can't drop from friendly creature (bunny, fish, bird, etc), killed creature must have more than 10 max life, and it must be near the underworld (300 tiles up from the bottom of the map).

If you are sure you are following all these rules and still not getting magma ore from half the creatures, something is wrong. Let me know so I can have a closer look at it.

It shouldn't...

Rules are that it can't drop from a boss, it can't drop from friendly creature (bunny, fish, bird, etc), killed creature must have more than 10 max life, and it must be near the underworld (300 tiles up from the bottom of the map).

If you are sure you are following all these rules and still not getting magma ore from half the creatures, something is wrong. Let me know so I can have a closer look at it.

I'm dumb and the mod somehow got disabled, so thats the problem. I was about to delete my comment, sorry to bother you and thanks for the work you put into this.

Seems thorium needed to be updated, so I guess thats what did it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom