Game Mechanics Sleeping

Does your character need sleep?

• A nap now and then would be incredible. My character has been awake for months by Terrarian time.

• I have read this post, but have no opinion and am therefore useless to this poll.

• Sleep is for the weak! This idea should be written down on paper, so I can burn it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

The1DarkLord

Skeletron Prime
I think that during any normal (non-event, non-boss) day or night, or after any bosses have been defeated during any night or day, beds should bring up two options when right-clicked:
  1. Set spawn
  2. Sleep
  • These options would appear in a dialogue box, much like talking to NPCs, and the box would say something like "Mmm. This bed sure looks comfy."
  • During any normal day, option two would be "Nap" instead.
  • To avoid people wantonly advancing the day/night cycle to get bosses or events to happen, if you slept at night, then you couldn't nap the following day, and visa versa.
Choosing to sleep or nap would advance time to Dawn or Dusk, respectively, refill 100% of your health. Sleeping or napping will remove all debuffs instantly.

To make sleeping worthwhile to characters that regenerate quickly enough that sleeping would be a waste of time, sleeping will give two buffs in Hardmode:
  1. Wide Awake (DAY) {if you slept}, or Wide Awake (NIGHT) {if you napped} -- Lasts through the next day/night. Gives increased movement, attack, and mining speeds. Napping gives equivalent of Night Owl Potion, and sleeping gives equivalent to Endurance buff (I know this makes sleeping superior to napping, but I have provisions against abusing that, seen below). Can't sleep until this has expired.
  2. Refreshed -- lasts 7 minutes. Gives increased jump height and 50% critical chance (every other hit is critical).
Night is the scariest part of Hardmode, and I think there should be SOME kind of punishment for not going through it.
  • Perhaps instead of vague criteria regarding the "safety of your house", there could be a limit on how many nights you can sleep through in a row.
  • A possible way to do this is to allow a certain number of nights to get skipped without incident, but have a cap (say, 10 nights). NPCs will start to say they get scared at night after 5 nights, and if you sleep for another 5 (even if they aren't consecutive) without staying up for 5 to assuage their fears, an NPC dies; you wake up to the message "The [NPC] was killed during the night. After an NPC dies, no new NPCs will arrive, including the type killed. After every 5 consecutive nights of sleeping after that, another NPC dies, and then every night you sleep through after 2 die, an NPC leaves; each time you wake up to the message, "The [NPC] no longer trusts you to keep them safe. They have left."
  • This can all be ended by staying up at least 10 consecutive nights, at which point you can regain NPCs. NPCs that simply left will move back in, and NPCs that died will be replaced (but will be replaced last), day after day. As long as you aren't sleeping consecutive nights you are fine, but if you sleep 5 consecutive nights and the NPCs get worried, they will stay worried until you stay up 5 nights. As long as they are worried, every night you sleep will get you closer to losing NPCs.

Please understand, I don't want to make sleeping useless, I just don't want it to be over-used, or used to get out of having to play nights, which are harder for people trying to get through Hardmode for the first time.

(I have this labelled as PC because I think it would be easiest to implement, and easiest to use with the interface, but I haven't played Terraria on a Console, so I don't know if this would work on consoles.)

A possible problem would be implementation in multiplayer.
  • Perhaps you could be a ghost when sleeping, like dying with a hardcore character (or like having an out of body experience), but you can only go a set distance from your body in all directions. Also, you would be invisible to all players except people with the Clairvoyant buff.
  • I think it should skip the night(or day) if at least 70% of the players are sleeping, because it would suck if you had two teams and one team decides to mess with the other one by all sleeping. (also, if enough people sleep, and you happen to be in the middle of something, you auto teleport back to your bed).
    • OH. This brings up an interesting (semi-unrelated) thought: Only one player should be able to spawn at any bed. All other players have to have their own beds. When you open the housing menu, you can use the housing query to check a bed to see if it is already taken. If it is taken by someone on your team, you will see their head on a banner, like you see NPC's in their houses. This would give rise to possible needs for bunk beds and larger beds, like perhaps a queen (or king) size bed that would be seen end-on, with the headboard against the wall and the end sticking out far enough that you can't walk past it like a normal bed. However, two people from the same team can sleep on the bed. NPCs will gossip about it though, and they will sometimes ask you about sleeping together.
  • You could either go back to your body to force yourself to wake up in case of an attack or you are helpless as players come into your house and you can't do anything until you get hit in an attack.
    • Waking up like this would inflict 2 new debuffs:
  1. Groggy -- -30% speed, -10% damage, and you deal no critical hits for a full 2 minutes.
  2. Sleep Deprived -- -20% speed, decreased jump height, and darkness. Lasts through next night (if it was a nap) or day (if it was sleep)

Last edited:
Tu ne sais pas how sad I am...

I made one a few months ago.

If you wanna see it, it's right there !

Your ideas seem pretty cool BUT there is one thing :
Choosing to sleep or nap would advance time to Dawn or Dusk, respectively, refill 100% of your health before hardmode, and then refill 75% of your max health.
It would be useless (to me) to remove 25% of the bed healing in hardmode since you can regenerate quickly enought to compensate (is that how we say it ?) the loss.

I still agree to these things.

Honestly, I don't want a :joy: to kill me while I sleep ; it would be horrible !

This sounds cool. It has a bunch of nice little features that I haven't seen before in any suggestion like this.
Since there are monsters that can open doors or float through walls on any night in Hardmode, and could therefore possibly access you while you are sleeping, sleeping at night in Hardmode will have a 1 in 50 chance of taking 50% of your current health, unless the bed is inaccessible to all normal hardmode monsters (probably due to having a crap-load of fences around your floating sky-fortress). During the daytime, it will still be safe to nap.
I don't think this would really work. I'm not sure if that 'unless the bed is inaccessible' stuff would be possible to program, plus it just seems annoying to me that sometimes you would wake up with all your health and sometimes you'd wake up almost dead.
A possible problem would be implementation in multiplayer.
  • Perhaps you could be a ghost when sleeping, like dying with a hardcore character (or like having an out of body experience), but you can only go a set distance from your body in all directions. Also, you would be invisible to all players except people with the Clairvoyant buff.
  • You could either go back to your body to force yourself to wake up in case of an attack or you are helpless as players come into your house and you can't do anything until you get hit in an attack.
That's cool. I think in addition to that, it should skip the night if 50% or more of the players on the server are sleeping. Maybe it could give everyone who wasn't sleeping when the night was skipped a chat message that says 'you start feeling dizzy' or something like that. Iunno.

NOTE: This is now part of the main post, but slightly improved in format. Thanks, if you have read the top today, chances are you read this.

Night is the scariest part of Hardmode, and I think there should be SOME kind of punishment for not going through it. Perhaps instead of vague criteria regarding the "safety of your house", there could be a limit on how many nights you can sleep through in a row. A possible way to do this is to allow a certain number of nights to get skipped without incident, but have a cap (say 10 nights). NPCs will start to say they get scared at night after 5 nights, and if you sleep for another 5 (even if they aren't consecutive) without staying up for 5, an NPC dies; you wake up to the message "The [NPC] was killed during the night. After an NPC dies, no new NPCs will arrive, including the type killed. After another 5 consecutive nights of sleeping at night another NPC dies, and then every night you sleep through after that, an NPC leaves; each time you wake up to the message, "The [NPC] no longer trusts you to keep them safe. They have left."

This can all be ended by staying up at least 10 nights, at which point you can regain NPCs. NPCs that simply left will move back in, and NPCs that died will be replaced, day after day. Sleeping every other night will not cause this, but if you sleep 5 consecutive nights and the NPCs get worried, they will stay worried until you stay up 5 nights. As long as they are worried, every night you sleep will get you closer to losing NPCs.

I am putting this into the suggestion to make sure people don't get a free ticket out of Hardmode nights. You have to survive those things, and you have to be there to protect your people. No getting out of that.

-----------------------------------------

I think it should skip if at least 70% of the players are sleeping, (because it would suck if you had two teams and one team decides to mess with the other one by all sleeping. (also, if enough people sleep, and you happen to be in the middle of something, you auto teleport back to your bed). OH. This brings up an interesting thought: Only one player should be able to spawn at any bed. All other players have to have their own beds.

Last edited:
If sleeping is not implemented into the game, there should at least be mods for sleeping, ik Overhaul does this but it adds too many things that I don't want, a mod completely dedicated towards sleeping would be nice

Back
Top Bottom