Game Mechanics Slime Staff can now be Crafted.

Should this be creatable?

• Total voters
But the rarity of this item is so rare that you might just obtain it in hardmode and not at all early game. Besides, you will already have better summoning items once you obtain a slime staff. The rarity for the slime staff is possibly... pointless. It would rather be a good idea for the item be creatable.
That's why I'm supporting the crafting recipe. Because when you obtain it in the early game, it has a use.

You might spend forever getting the developer sets, and when you finally get them, it feels good. That's where I'll leave it. I don't see how that's so hard to understand.
Listen. I'm no stranger to farming for very rare items. I understand the concept. I play looting-based action RPGs like Phantasy Star Online. Psycho Wand is basically a 1/12k drop. Items of this rarity have a place!

The difference is when farming other prestige-tier items like developer sets or whatever is that you get other stuff along the way. You aren't just standing underneath a Slime Statue grinder for five hours.

In other games it's engaging. In other farms it's engaging. The rarity is warranted. The item is powerful.

Slime Staff is not powerful. We are only having this discussion because its rarity is unwarranted. Its rarity is based around the concept of how frequently slimes can be defeated.

Slime Staff does 5 damage. It is not a powerful prestige item. The most useful thing this thing does is enable Youtubers to start off their "pure summoning" playthroughs by looking for a slime statue since they refuse to use their Copper Shortswords. After that you use it with Lucky Coin to farm Arapaimas in the ocean biome, and the time you spend doing that... you could just be farming money normally by defeating bosses.

It's a trinket, nothing more.

Take Arkhalis for another example. That's a collectable. Something powerful you maybe trip over once in a blue moon. Its rarity is warranted since it lasts from earlygame all the way to mid hardmode due to its unique attack pattern. Nothing else does what it does except Fetid Baghnakhs. For the most part, nobody is complaining about its rarity, because its rarity is deserved.

.. I dunno. That's just my opinion. Maybe we don't see fully eye to eye on this, but I want you to at least know that I understand where you're coming from, and the reasons I disagree.

Is there an amount of Gel that you'd be comfortable with having before it's craftable? Like, what if it was something like a stack of 10,000 Gel, or something else equally obscene?

Well when I grind for the item, It is engaging, because I'm normally not lucky enough to find a slime statue.
Are you telling them that it is awesome to wait for a extremely long time while sitting next to slime statues waiting for a staff? That's absurd and boring!

True. Even with the aforementioned king slime strategy, it still takes a while. Assuming 100 blue slimes spawn per fight (probably less in most fights), it would still take 100 different king slime fights to get one (on average)
If you tried using slime statues, only 3 could sps. (Spawn per second.)

It's engaging because I have to battle the King slime instead
Again using that generous 100 king slimes before you get a slime staff statistic, you would have to find 100 rubies to make enough summons for that kind of fight, along with 500 gold bars (2000 gold ore, though you can get bars in chests, crates, extractinators, and slimes). Assuming 400 of the bars were from mining gold ore, and you had a gold pickaxe (anymore than that would just leave the staff at a pointless tier), it would take just under 18 minutes of straight mining the ore, IF it was all in a pile that was all reachable at once without any sort of delay such as any mob at all. 18 minutes of holding down click at dream conditions isn't engaging gameplay. (Just to remind you how this connects, the gold is used for the slime crown).

So overall, I would say that it is not engaging to get the summon for the king slime fight. But wait, there's more! Rubies also are required for the summon. Assuming they all spawn on stone, it would take another 3 1/2 minutes to break all of those. Giving our final, number from exclusively holding down the mouse button in a world made of gold and rubies to be 21 1/2 minutes to make enough summons to get a slime staff.

And now, I've come back after a minute long break to give you information about the actual fight. With the lava trap arena, it took 35 seconds for the king to die (in my timing). This wasn't very engaging, the arena just has the player sit around on a rope. Assuming I spend 10 seconds every 3 fights to check for the staff, it would take up to 38 seconds a fight now. This gives us 63 1/3 minutes of non-engaging gameplay for the fighting. So far we're up to 84 5/6 minutes, until I count the number of slimes a fight, I'll see you all around.

I'm back, I got 28 slimes a fight after averaging a few fights and rounding up. Let's talk about it. Our previous number was 84 5/6 minutes, but that was under the impression that a fight yielded 100 slimes. So, redoing the math means that we need 357 fights to get a staff. So, multiplying our old numbers by 3.57 gives us 302 minutes of non-engaging gameplay at its most generous. What's 302 minutes? I'll give you a quick reference. The average school day takes 7 hours. So this would be just under 71% of that school day, spent holding down the mouse button or checking for king slime drops.

Last edited:
My responses are in bolded/underlined text
That's not a point I ever made, fighting the king slime is engaging.
I farmed for the staff post plantera because it's necessary for the coin farm in the jungle ocean. I used loads of rubies and gold I got from extracting thousands of silt while trying to get the amber mosquito.

That's in a later game position where the slime staff becomes invalid. The slime staff seems designed for the fighter AIs and low roofs of the dungeon, and is great protection while you solve the puzzle-like mining in the underworld (if you don't have a hornet staff).

These points make 0 sense and contribute little to the discussion since you'd never ever find that much gold or ruby in one area. Mining that much gold and ruby would take days at that point in the game. And besides, when I farmed it only took me some 3 thousand slime kills before I got the staff, and I enjoyed farming for it.

Yes, that's why this suggestion is here.

Again, this is a point I never made explicitly. It totally misrepresents my point of engaging battling. (Ps. Shiny hunters end up just spamming the A button and running around, it's not that much more engaging than standing under lava or a statue to gain an item, yet people still love shiny hunting)
The way you misrepresented my argument (which I'll assume was more of a misunderstanding) is because you seem to have portrayed my example of fighting the king slime as "afk farming the king slime". When I fought the king slime I was doing it with weapons in an arena. If you choose to do an AFK farm, that's literally your choice, and if you don't find that engaging then just try a different way of farming. But again, I never used your example, it's only engaging if you make it.

At the appropriate tier for the slime staff, the lava trap is the only viable choice for farming king slime. Players will almost always choose the most effective option, even if it is less fun.

Again, if you choose to hold down the mouse button that's YOUR method of farming, NOT everybody else's. You should have factored other methods into this.
Since I was fighting him in hardmode, I was killing him in a matter of seconds. (and this is important to consider because the slime staff has a niché in even the late game)

Again, its use lies in pre-hardmode. If you want to farm it in hardmode it becomes a collector's item, but that's not what it's meant for.

Also again, people have spent literally months shiny hunting (You may be annoyed that I keep using shiny hunting pokémon as the reference here, but they are the complete same principle) and some people spend days or even hours hunting, it's all luck. I've been known to do a 6 hour walk in one day, so if it's a competition of endurance and patience to farm for it, then it's obviously very subjective. everybody has different tolerances to tedious tasks.

And their are also people who would like to play summoner but aren't in that group.

also again, in my experience I've got the staff within four thousand blue slime kills (+ all the other kills from other slimes, so possibly around 5k)

That's just luck. There's nothing else to say about it.

and the entire time it was enjoyable, if the slime staff is only a collectable, then it serves wonderfully as a "you have to work for it" trophy item.
If you want the slime staff to be more viable at the very start of the game, then just suggest adding a new early game summoner weapon that is pre EoC instead of trying to get the developers to change an, essentially collectable item. That's my opinion, that's how I see it, the slime staff is merely a rare collectable with a slight niché in some automated farms and is worth picking up for those reasons. Have you ever tried farming for a Lucky Coin or discount card? Yeah, it's literally just sitting under a lava tower (for me, that's my way of doing it) and maybe using a summoner item. and I still find enjoyment in it. It's subjective, so instead of potentially ruining the fun for those who like to farm for extremely rare items in Terraria (Which there are VERY few of by the way), it's probably better to suggest an entirely new item.

It's near impossible to give the reader a perfect vision of how an item functions without it being in the game already. Not just stats, but the way it moves is something hard to put in words that are read the same way by 2 people.

Back
Top Bottom