Weapons & Equip Small ideas to improve summoner

Yeah, I considered that, but... who wants to grind T1 that much? You'll have to defeat it 15 times to get enough medals for 1 set.
20 times in fact, because you really want to buy the T2 sentry before you start thinking about armor. But once you’ve got an arena and a routine worked out, it’s time consuming but not that hard. I have been using boulder statues against OOA to great effect....

Last edited:
You can actually, just play with a Journey Mode Character. You start out with both Fledgling Wings & a Finch Staff. In fact, in Journey Mode, you won't need to do nearly as much grinding, farming or fishing either. You can even make a Blood Moon, Pumpkin Moon or Frost Moon last as long as you'd like! If a person is dead-set on being a Summoner, right from the gate, there you have it, no Mods required! 😁🍹
Currently playing in journey mode is an offense to me lol, being in control of all those things that you don’t have in other modes is something interpreted by me like easily, I only play in master mode with classic character nowadays.

You could also use a mod that creates items out of thin air. I tend to stay away from absolutes like this one but im sorry, anyone who tries to legitimately argue that starting as a summoner is reasonable and achievable in this game is merely debating for the sake of debating.
This is the part where I always seem to lose people, but I'm not sure if it's the technicalities that are the hold up, if it's immersion breaking or whatever. The people who are dissatisfied with the current state of Summoner Class keep moving the goal post & I have no idea why they do it. If I were them, I'd spend my time enjoying the game rather than nitpick about inconsequential technicalities that serve no real purpose. For example, allow me to share my head-space, so you can see why comments like these are so confusing to me. 🤔🍹
  • "Slime Staff & Finch Staff are too weak to justify their rarity, Summoner should have access to these weapons earlier or at least something similar."
  • My retort: You can pretty much do that in Journey Mode. You'll start off with a Finch Staff & you'll also be able to totally skip the Merchant NPC if you find 2 Can-o-Worms while exploring, giving you access to unlimited fishing.
  • "...anyone who tries to legitimately argue that starting as a summoner is reasonable and achievable in this game is merely debating for the sake of debating."
  • My retort: That's technically true for every Class though, everyone starts out as a blank canvas, but it is possible to start the game with a Finch Staff, so you already have a Minion from the very start.
  • "Summoner needs more starting items in pre-Hardmode, it greatly lags behind when compared to other Classes in the game."
  • My retort: All you really need after getting your first Minion is a Summoning Potion, which net's you a total of two Minions. In addition, you can kill either Queen Bee or Skeletron to get access to more, by either getting a Bewitching table from the Dungeon or Bee Armor from the Queen + new Minions (Wrath Potions are also a craftable item that isn't locked behind Boss progression).
See my confusion? It's not as if the pre-Harmode Armors do anything super special, aside from power up your preferred weapon-type or increase your Minion count. With this method, you're increasing both your Minion count & DPS, before ever getting the Armor. So my question is, what's the difference? Is it the technicality you don't like, is it the mental gymnastics? I still have no idea where you all stand when it comes to this, as the goal post is likely to change, yet again... 🤷‍♂️🍹

Also, you can't just pluck things out of the void in Journey Mode when you start up a new game, you actually have to earn them. Once you earn the item, depending on what it is, only then can you conjure up as many copies as you'd like.

Pre 1.4 and now 1.4 are still the same in the aspect that you have practically nothing before the Queen Bee. Even then, the only drops I make use of weapons wise from the Queen have nothing to do with summoning. You practically need advanced gear to get the vampire frog and I am currently playing in a world with no living trees. Typically by the time you become a competent summoner pre-hardmode it's time to take on the WoF then it's only a short walk afterwards til you get spider equipment and all that work becomes worthless.
I hate stating the obvious, but I keep having to do that whenever this topic comes up. This is simply not true & I have no idea why this myth persists 'til this day. Not only do you have items that support Minions before fighting Queen Bee, you have access to a starter Minion if you want it by playing a Journey Mode character.
  1. Summoner Potion (pre-Boss item).
  2. Finch Staff (pre-Boss item/ starter item in Journey Mode).
  3. Wrath Potion (pre-Boss item/ Class neutral).
  4. Bewitching Table (post-Skeletron item).
  5. Hornet Staff (post-Queen Bee item).
At what point in the process does your character become a real Summoner to you? I ask only because, before even fighting Queen Bee, it's possible to have three Minions, a power-up bonus to their DPS & any other weapon you want to equip, if you don't already have a Whip at that point. What's the issue here? I'm trying to make-it-make-sense, but I simply can't. I figure it has to be lack of in-game knowledge or stubbornness over technicalities; which is again confusing because we already know that Summoners' progression path is awkward. 🤷‍♂️🍹

I will not argue that the summoner can become extremely powerful. It can become the most powerful in the game if you ask me (barring usage of items such as Zenith). But when is the problem. Both the finch staff and slime staff are so incredibly weak there is no reason not to make them easier to get.
[See Above]

What is needed are recommendations like what the OP made. The dawning reality though is that this is not agreed upon by the developers. Don't know why, I see many of the additions and it gives me the impression like the intent is there. The blazing hoops they have gone through to negate some of the grinding in the game before 1.4 kind of makes me wonder why such effort is not spent on things lacking, like the summoner. Everyone has their own ideas for solutions I suppose, just as do you.
One already exists, just use what's already available. Summoner has just as much access to resources as every other Class, but it requires that you understand the game first. As I keep saying as well, if you don't like the grindiness of it all, just play on Journey Mode; it speeds things up significantly!

Currently playing in journey mode is an offense to me lol, being in control of all those things that you don’t have in other modes is something interpreted by me like easily, I only play in master mode with classic character nowadays.
Not sure if 100% true, but I overheard that Journey Mode (difficulty slider to max) is actually much harder than Master Mode. I can't confirm or deny that, but this is how I currently play, as I don't particularly care much for grinding. In addition, you can always increase the enemy spawn-rate if things still feel too easy, as that's also how I play. Once an area becomes too easy, I'll typically increase the enemy spawn by x10 or x6. 🤔🍹

Not sure if 100% true, but I overheard that Journey Mode (difficulty slider to max) is actually much harder than Master Mode. I can't confirm or deny that, but this is how I currently play, as I don't particularly care much for grinding. In addition, you can always increase the enemy spawn-rate if things still feel too easy, as that's also how I play. Once an area becomes too easy, I'll typically increase the enemy spawn by x10 or x6. 🤔🍹
Hmm, yes, seeing it this way can be more challenging, if take out the part of controlling other things to make it easier and the system to duplicate items.

Hmm, yes, seeing it this way can be more challenging, if take out the part of controlling other things to make it easier and the system to duplicate items.
20200708215141_1.jpg

...anyone who tells you that Journey Mode is easy mode, is lying. It's as easy or as hard as you want it to be; I like my games difficult! 😈🍹

This is the part where I always seem to lose people, but I'm not sure if it's the technicalities that are the hold up, if it's immersion breaking or whatever. The people who are dissatisfied with the current state of Summoner Class keep moving the goal post & I have no idea why they do it. If I were them, I'd spend my time enjoying the game rather than nitpick about inconsequential technicalities that serve no real purpose. For example, allow me to share my head-space, so you can see why comments like these are so confusing to me. 🤔🍹
  • "Slime Staff & Finch Staff are too weak to justify their rarity, Summoner should have access to these weapons earlier or at least something similar."
  • My retort: You can pretty much do that in Journey Mode. You'll start off with a Finch Staff & you'll also be able to totally skip the Merchant NPC if you find 2 Can-o-Worms while exploring, giving you access to unlimited fishing.
  • "...anyone who tries to legitimately argue that starting as a summoner is reasonable and achievable in this game is merely debating for the sake of debating."
  • My retort: That's technically true for every Class though, everyone starts out as a blank canvas, but it is possible to start the game with a Finch Staff, so you already have a Minion from the very start.
  • "Summoner needs more starting items in pre-Hardmode, it greatly lags behind when compared to other Classes in the game."
  • My retort: All you really need after getting your first Minion is a Summoning Potion, which net's you a total of two Minions. In addition, you can kill either Queen Bee or Skeletron to get access to more, by either getting a Bewitching table from the Dungeon or Bee Armor from the Queen + new Minions (Wrath Potions are also a craftable item that isn't locked behind Boss progression).
See my confusion? It's not as if the pre-Harmode Armors do anything super special, aside from power up your preferred weapon-type or increase your Minion count. With this method, you're increasing both your Minion count & DPS, before ever getting the Armor. So my question is, what's the difference? Is it the technicality you don't like, is it the mental gymnastics? I still have no idea where you all stand when it comes to this, as the goal post is likely to change, yet again... 🤷‍♂️🍹

Also, you can't just pluck things out of the void in Journey Mode when you start up a new game, you actually have to earn them. Once you earn the item, depending on what it is, only then can you conjure up as many copies as you'd like.

I hate stating the obvious, but I keep having to do that whenever this topic comes up. This is simply not true & I have no idea why this myth persists 'til this day. Not only do you have items that support Minions before fighting Queen Bee, you have access to a starter Minion if you want it by playing a Journey Mode character.
  1. Summoner Potion (pre-Boss item).
  2. Finch Staff (pre-Boss item/ starter item in Journey Mode).
  3. Wrath Potion (pre-Boss item/ Class neutral).
  4. Bewitching Table (post-Skeletron item).
  5. Hornet Staff (post-Queen Bee item).
At what point in the process does your character become a real Summoner to you? I ask only because, before even fighting Queen Bee, it's possible to have three Minions, a power-up bonus to their DPS & any other weapon you want to equip, if you don't already have a Whip at that point. What's the issue here? I'm trying to make-it-make-sense, but I simply can't. I figure it has to be lack of in-game knowledge or stubbornness over technicalities; which is again confusing because we already know that Summoners' progression path is awkward. 🤷‍♂️🍹

[See Above]

One already exists, just use what's already available. Summoner has just as much access to resources as every other Class, but it requires that you understand the game first. As I keep saying as well, if you don't like the grindiness of it all, just play on Journey Mode; it speeds things up significantly!

Not sure if 100% true, but I overheard that Journey Mode (difficulty slider to max) is actually much harder than Master Mode. I can't confirm or deny that, but this is how I currently play, as I don't particularly care much for grinding. In addition, you can always increase the enemy spawn-rate if things still feel too easy, as that's also how I play. Once an area becomes too easy, I'll typically increase the enemy spawn by x10 or x6. 🤔 🍹

Ok. I think you lose yourself with the barriers that you place up in front of things.

- I am currently playing in a World without Living Trees. There are none. Therefore, there is no way to obtain a Finch Staff.
- I will not play Journey mode. The very concept of duplicating items at will (regardless of what it takes to enable this) and turning on God mode is about as cheating as it gets. That is not an insult to others. That is my definition of cheating.
- I will not play Journey mode. Had to put that in there twice to get the point across.
- I am not the only person that does not want to play Journey mode for the those reasons.
- I do not make complaints like this for other classes. That aren't issues with any of them starting from beginning to end. Nothing like the Summoner.

Confusion? By whom?

"Also, you can't just pluck things out of the void in Journey Mode when you start up a new game, you actually have to earn them. Once you earn the item, depending on what it is, only then can you conjure up as many copies as you'd like."

I think I wrote something about creating things out of thin air by using a mod. You may want to re-read things.

"I hate stating the obvious, but I keep having to do that whenever this topic comes up"

I also do not enjoy stating the obvious. But for your case, you may want to think about stating your obvious every time for your own sake. That is of course if you want people to take you seriously and read anything that you post.
1f937-2642.png
1f379.png

@Banmei, well I hate to break it to you but, your beliefs & ideals about what is & isn't cheating have nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Summoner is working as intended, as far as Classic, Expert & Master Mode worlds are concerned, if you ever prefer to bypass that restriction, Journey Mode is waiting for you. 🤷‍♂️🍹 Aside from arbitrary, inner rule-sets & stipulations, there are other options.
  • Grab up a Legacy Character & have them place a chest with a Finch Staff in the world, waiting on your new Toon (after all, it is considered a starter item).
  • Build an afk lava farm for Slimes in the Overworld, using Battle Potions or Water Candles in hopes of getting a Slime Staff.
  • Defeat King Slime for the Slime Mount & go directly for Queen Bee with as little upgrading as possible to get a Hornet Staff, repeat for Armor & Weapons.
  • *EDIT* Ask someone here in the forums if they mind sharing their World Seed with you that has a Finch Staff, so you can quickly grab it up & start playing.
Side Note: I post so that people are properly informed, not to change anyone's mind or hope that the person I'm responding to reads it. I don't care either way, I just don't like misinformation.

Last edited:
@Banmei, well I hate to break it to you but, your beliefs & ideals about what is & isn't cheating have nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Summoner is working as intended, as far as Classic, Expert & Master Mode worlds are concerned, if you ever prefer to bypass that restriction, Journey Mode is waiting for you. 🤷‍♂️🍹 Aside from arbitrary, inner rule-sets & stipulations, there are other options.
  • Grab up a Legacy Character & have them place a chest with a Finch Staff in the world, waiting on your new Toon (after all, it is considered a starter item).
  • Build an afk lava farm for Slimes in the Overworld, using Battle Potions or Water Candles in hopes of getting a Slime Staff.
  • Defeat King Slime for the Slime Mount & go directly for Queen Bee with as little upgrading as possible to get a Hornet Staff, repeat for Armor & Weapons.
  • *EDIT* Ask someone here in the forums if they mind sharing their World Seed with you that has a Finch Staff, so you can quickly grab it up & start playing.
Side Note: I post so that people are properly informed, not to change anyone's mind or hope that the person I'm responding to reads it. I don't care either way, I just don't like misinformation.

Thank you for the FYI but I highly doubt you have much to offer me in the form of info. Perhaps that is why you don't see me on the forums asking for help much?

Summoner is working as intended. That is the problem. We'll agree to disagree obviously but do know that there are a great deal of people who do not believe in your take on things and from what I've seen not many who share you views. Ignoring the problem or creating band-aids are not effective solutions. There's no need to continue this we should hand the thread back.

What if instead of adding a passive lifesteal that is incredibly easy to abuse by all classes, we don't?
What if we do, and make things a little easier for everyone? Multiclassary is the way, after all.
The strength of the buff could be made to scale with the amount of minions, too.

Last edited:
>make it so the less the defense of a class the higher is it's mobility comparing to others: so if it's either resisting moreor having to dodge more make dodging easier, not just vertical mobility(speed) but also a little of horizontal speed(like jump heigh and jump speed) it could keep summoner as the class with less defense as it kinda that makes sense for him to have the smaller defense due to his army of minions but also highest mobility making he more able to retreat while being covered by his minions
just wanna say that melee and summoners have the best endgame wings

just wanna say that melee and summoners have the best endgame wings
Now in 1.4.0.5 the best wing in my opinion is the Celestial Starboard, with this you can fly fast to the sides with the special function "hovering"(down+left or right) or fast up holding the button "up"(another special function), all this while in stealth mode with the vortex armor and this is OP

Last edited:
Now in 1.4 the best wing in my opinion is the Celestial Starboard, with this you can fly fast to the sides with the special function "hovering"(down+left or right) or fast up holding the button "up"(another special function), all this while in stealth mode with the vortex armor and this is OP
yeah for some reason the wing that we get as soon as we defeat moonlord once is better than the wings crafted with expensive endgame material and might require us to beat moonlord and lunar events twice or more, and for an even weirder reason all of the lunar fragment wings aren't equally good

yeah for some reason the wing that we get as soon as we defeat moonlord once is better than the wings crafted with expensive endgame material and might require us to beat moonlord and lunar events twice or more, and for an even weirder reason all of the lunar fragment wings aren't equally good
The Starboard is Expert only though

Back
Top Bottom