PC Small nitpick/question -- My hammer auto-targets the wrong tiles when knocking down walls?

Nemesis

Terrarian
With the pickaxe, I mine precisely the tile that my cursor is on top of. With the hammer, it seems to occasionally auto-target which wall tile it feels is the best choice to knock down first, instead of only knocking down the tile that's immediately under your cursor. BTW, I'm not talking about the "SmartMode" that you can toggle to. I know it's not user error either, because sometimes I can position the cursor, hold left-click, and it can end up knocking down two to FOUR wall pieces -- all without me moving the mouse from its original click-spot. That's not possible with the pickaxe -- that'd be very strange behavior. Maybe there is a reason for this behavior, but maybe it's more of a bug?

Either way, it would be great if there is some kind of indicator (similar to the yellow box in SmartMode) over precisely which wall tile it's ACTUALLY selecting, since your own cursor location isn't exactly reliable. ("Why not just use SmartMode?" Well, it seems even more difficult to select the correct tile with the hammer with SmartMode, oddly.)

It's normally not a huge issue, but it can suck if you JUST fixed a wall (the outline, for example), and you want to knock down the tile next to it, and it auto-selects the wall that you just fixed instead, first. (it's like the hammer is trolling you)

Furthermore, an indication of which tile it will affect will also help the issue that the hammer is the tool that both modifies block shapes, AND knocks down back walls. Sometimes you want to modify a tile, and it chooses to knock down the wall behind that tile instead, or vice versa. Now that's frustrating. (Personally, I would prefer if the tool that changes tile shapes was a different tool altogether - A chisel. That way you can never have the situation of "I meant to change the block shape, but it knocked down a wall" or "I meant to knock down a wall, but it changed my block shape")

Wall tiles can be hard to target partially because each one graphically bleeds into its surrounding 8 tiles. When there's a contiguous group of wall tiles, two to four will be overlapping at certain points (ie. when you click near a tile border or corner). Unless you're using the ruler accessory, it can be difficult to know which wall tile you're actually pointing at, or whether you're hitting an overlap point.

I think they do it this way to ensure wall tiles will adequately cover any jagged block surfaces, without leaving small empty spots. Not sure if I could come up with a way around it, but if you can, maybe post it to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom