Member-Run Project Small project I've been working on.

Etotheipi

Retinazer
I've been working on a platformer game for a couple days, and the progress has been decent. Currently there isn't much, just some platformer physics, and a way to load in levels from Tiled.
Right now the main roadblock is my hideous spriting skills, but I know a lot of people here are quite talented and nice, so if you want to help with the art please tell
This is the current character sprite.
Player.png

(it was made in 10 seconds but still)
I will update this post with screenshots and notes when I update things.

I've been working on a platformer game for a couple days, and the progress has been decent. Currently there isn't much, just some platformer physics, and a way to load in levels from Tiled.
Right now the main roadblock is my hideous spriting skills, but I know a lot of people here are quite talented and nice, so if you want to help with the art please tell
This is the current character sprite.
View attachment 311074
(it was made in 10 seconds but still)
I will update this post with screenshots and notes when I update things.
i might be able to help. do you have discord?

I haven't done any coding or art for this yet, but I do have an idea for how the first boss might work. I think it'd be called something along the lines of "Novice Spellcaster".
The boss arena would be a large room, with a platform near the ceiling that the boss runs along, with bookshelves full of spell books for him to use to attack the player. He would be reading a book as the player walks into the room, but then he would notice the player and decide that they are a good target to practice all the cool spells he found on. He would start with one kind of attack, and shoot it at the player until they manage to dodge it ten times in a row, then he will get frustrated with that spell for not working and cast the book aside, and grab a new one of the shelf, and start the process again. This would repeat several times until finally he reaches for a book that's a bit too far away, he loses his balance, and falls to the floor where he is an easy target.

Since he is supposed to be a novice who just happened upon a room full of spells, a small portion of his spells will be duds that deal no damage to the player, but can be reflected back at the boss by the player's sword. If he gets hit by a dud, then he will drop his book and pick a new one. So if the player has trouble dodging they can try to reflect the duds back at him to progress the phases.

Then when he is killed, the player will have access to a new area and a spell book of their own. Any extra ideas or critiques are welcome.

Did a few pretty bad animations. I think I somehow managed to screw up the animation looping code and that's part of why the walk cycle looks a little janky. Currently the sword doesn't do damage, it's just a visual effect. Advice on how to improve these would be nice =)

I guess I should be updating this thread. A month ago or so I started from scratch because my code was spaghetti, and then I spent most of that month trying to add a tiny detail barely anyone would care about because priorities. But anywho this is the current state of the game

I guess I should be updating this thread. A month ago or so I started from scratch because my code was spaghetti, and then I spent most of that month trying to add a tiny detail barely anyone would care about because priorities. But anywho this is the current state of the game
it looks pretty good ngl

Back
Top Bottom