Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I know that it's a running joke that the smart cursor isn't very smart but in 1.4 it has gotten quite a lot worse.
My main issue is when digging in the underground the smart cursor goes out of its way to target things like life crystals before returning to the blocks between the character and the cursor (this is particularly noticeable in journey mode with extended reach). If this is the intended way then please add a priority setting.
Not even keeping my cursor right next to the character seems to solve it completely, and constantly missing items because I didn't notice that the smart cursor broke them is getting quite frustrating.

I have noticed this too. And yes, it is kind of annoying. I don't believe it did this before 1.4, but it is very noticeable with extended reach on, and I have definitely missed some life crystals because of it.

I know that it's a running joke that the smart cursor isn't very smart but in 1.4 it has gotten quite a lot worse.
My main issue is when digging in the underground the smart cursor goes out of its way to target things like life crystals before returning to the blocks between the character and the cursor (this is particularly noticeable in journey mode with extended reach). If this is the intended way then please add a priority setting.
Not even keeping my cursor right next to the character seems to solve it completely, and constantly missing items because I didn't notice that the smart cursor broke them is getting quite frustrating.

Not only this, but a pickaxe/axe combo tool seems to always prioritise trees over blocks. I have the Smart Cursor Priority set to Axe -> Pickaxe and still it aims for the trees first, even if I'm in the middle of mining a tunnel with plenty of blocks around me.

Not only this, but a pickaxe/axe combo tool seems to always prioritise trees over blocks. I have the Smart Cursor Priority set to Axe -> Pickaxe and still it aims for the trees first, even if I'm in the middle of mining a tunnel with plenty of blocks around me.
That's literally.. just press that button.

Axe -> Pickaxe means basically "axe first, then pickaxe" so that's working as intended. You want that as "Pickaxe -> Axe"

Erm, ok. That's the setting I had it at in 1.3 and didn't have much trouble with it then, so I assumed it'd be the same in 1.4. And according to the wiki (which I know might very possibly be wrong) "Axe -> Pickaxe: The cursor will target the block in pointing direction. If no block is reachable it will target the nearest tree."

Just tested it and swapping them out made it a lot, lot worse. It would not target any blocks at all if trees were nearby.

Erm, ok. That's the setting I had it at in 1.3 and didn't have much trouble with it then, so I assumed it'd be the same in 1.4. And according to the wiki (which I know might very possibly be wrong) "Axe -> Pickaxe: The cursor will target the block in pointing direction. If no block is reachable it will target the nearest tree."

Just tested it and swapping them out made it a lot, lot worse. It would not target any blocks at all if trees were nearby.

I can't reproduce this issue.

With Pickaxe -> Axe, I am prioritizing trees over blocks
With Axe -> Pickaxe, I am prioritizing blocks over trees, and properly aiming at them.

What tool are you using? I tried Picksaw and Pickaxe Axe with no issue (there aren't a whole lot of Pickaxe/Axe combo tools in Terraria).

It might help if you provide a screenshot of a setup I can try to recreate? What blocks are being ignored over trees?

Back
Top Bottom