tModLoader Smarter Cursor

MegaMage314 🌳

Living Tree
icon.png

Smarter Cursor
Available here on the Steam Workshop
(as well as in the mod browser in-game)​

Smarter Cursor is a small quality-of-life mod that adjusts smart cursor and the way it works with platforms. If you've ever built an arena or really any decently large structure with platforms, you're probably well aware of how finicky it can be to build out a flat bridge and not accidently create a staircase using them. This mod aims to fix that, by adjusting the math behind smart cursor and making it behave like so:
1666392475292.png

As you can see here, the region that'll place a horizontal platform in vanilla terraria is tiny, only a single tile wide. If the mouse were moved slightly up or down or if you yourself move while building, you'll end up placing a staircase instead. With this mod though, that region is made much wider while still allowing you to build stairs when you chose to do so. It makes building with platforms so much nicer, and there's no better way to show that off than with a demonstration:
Saved.gif

That's about it for this mod (there's not a whole lot to it), but I hope people enjoy using it! I spent a good week struggling to learn IL editing in order to make it work, so I'd love it if that struggle translated into less headaches for other players playing the game.
Also this is my first time publishing a mod, so if for any reason you run into issues using it please let me know! And lastly, let me know if you have any other suggestions for this mod or other small tweaks like this.

Last edited:
It would be cool if there was some sort of slider you could use to adjust the range of each area, but that's being picky at this point. :D

Such a cool mod! I'm glad someone finally made something like this.

It would be cool if there was some sort of slider you could use to adjust the range of each area, but that's being picky at this point. :D

Such a cool mod! I'm glad someone finally made something like this.
In theory at least, that wouldn't be too hard actually. Behind the scenes there's a number that determines exactly what the range is (if I set it to zero then it'll be the same as vanilla, while if I set it high enough it'll make it impossible to build in the corners at all).
But making custom UI is still beyond me I think, so instead I opted to just find a value that should give corners and flat bridges equal priority

In theory at least, that wouldn't be too hard actually. Behind the scenes there's a number that determines exactly what the range is (if I set it to zero then it'll be the same as vanilla, while if I set it high enough it'll make it impossible to build in the corners at all).
But making custom UI is still beyond me I think, so instead I opted to just find a value that should give corners and flat bridges equal priority
Makes sense. As I said, this mod is a blessing enough as is. :D

View attachment 387952
Smarter Cursor
Available here on the Steam Workshop
(as well as in the mod browser in-game)​

Smarter Cursor is a small quality-of-life mod that adjusts smart cursor and the way it works with platforms. If you've ever built an arena or really any decently large structure with platforms, you're probably well aware of how finicky it can be to build out a flat bridge and not accidently create a staircase using them. This mod aims to fix that, by adjusting the math behind smart cursor and making it behave like so:
View attachment 387961
As you can see here, the region that'll place a horizontal platform in vanilla terraria is tiny, only a single tile wide. If the mouse were moved slightly up or down or if you yourself move while building, you'll end up placing a staircase instead. With this mod though, that region is made much wider while still allowing you to build stairs when you chose to do so. It makes building with platforms so much nicer, and there's no better way to show that off than with a demonstration:

That's about it for this mod (there's not a whole lot to it), but I hope people enjoy using it! I spent a good week struggling to learn IL editing in order to make it work, so I'd love it if that struggle translated into less headaches for other players playing the game.
Also this is my first time publishing a mod, so if for any reason you run into issues using it please let me know! And lastly, let me know if you have any other suggestions for this mod or other small tweaks like this.
I’d totally use this once Tmod updates to 1.4.4

Updated the mod yesterday! Now in addition to making it easier to build flat bridges, the mod will let you bridge through things such as trees and vines. It'll ignore any cuttable blocks and bridge across non-solid ones that are only 1 tile wide, where the vanilla behavior gets stuck on both:
test.gif

One more update, now when building with walls platforms will be treated as solid, and the walls you build won't leak out of them when using smart cursor!
Can't think of any other changes I'd want to make with this mod, so now instead I'm working on writing a suggestion thread for these changes be added to vanilla Terraria
walls.gif

Oooh, that is so brilliant! <3 I love it! Thank you for this mod! It's something I've always secretly wanted but never thought to ask.

It's going in my must-have list of mods henceforth.

Surprisingly, got another update for this!
Now there's new functionality added for smart cursor with solid blocks: The old "To cursor" setting is now on by default (since apparently most people didn't know it existed), and instead of disabling it a new setting to fill an area with blocks has been added in it's place. Will post a gif of it in action once I can get it to work

Back
Top Bottom