PC Snail speed Launching

EnderBot51

Terrarian
When I start up Terraria from steam it takes a solid minute for it to start up, it's been doing this since day 1 and it's getting on my nerves.

(P.S It's the same for Modded Terraria but i'm sure it's going to be a similar solution.)

What are the specs of your machine? What operating system are you on? If you're using an HDD what's the RPM on it?

If you need help finding any of the information I asked for let me know.

Baytrail-M... So you're using a laptop, do you know the make/model of your laptop? Another way you can get the specs I need are by using a utility called CPU-Z download and install it.

Once installed run the program and click "tools" at the bottom, then click "save as html" upload that file here so I can take a look at it.

t4hbFqZ.png

here
[doublepost=1526169747,1526169716][/doublepost]i could only get .txt up
._.

Attachments

• DESKTOP-30HPMI2.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 200
So is it literally 1 minute for the game to startup? If so there might be a bigger issue than the hardware side. Time the startup time for me, let me know how many seconds it takes to start up.

Your cpu is pretty weak, not the worst out there but certainly not very current. I can't find your RAM or HDD listed here. I'm willing to bet though, it's a 5400 RPM HDD with no SSD and 4GB of RAM. If you have more accurate details let me know. You can find your HDD details by doing the following:

1. Press Windows+R on your keyboard
2. Type devmgmt.msc then press enter
3. Look on that list for something called disk drive, click the triangle next to it to expand the list. Let me know the names of everything listed here.

I should be able to find the Hard drive speed based on that.

Start up times for games is going to factored by 3 components on the hardware side. Your CPU which we've concluded is fairly weak, your RAM size and it's speed. Finally the hard drive and it's read/write times. With a lower powered computer I would expect the startup times to be on the longer side, but like I said before, if it is literally a minute then there is a possibility of an issue we can fix.

Something you have to remember though is launching and running that game is not the only thing your computer is doing at the time, it also has to handle everything in the background. You say this has been doing it since day 1 which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, although, if you can clean up what your computer is doing in the background we may be able to shave off some loading time. Lets start by getting a feel for everything running.

1. Press ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager
2. We need a detailed view so in the bottom left corner press "detailed view"
3. Give me a screenshot of all the process running listed here (you may have to make the window taller and get multiple screenshots so I can see everything listed)

In addition lets talk about some fixes some folks have done to decrease the startup time.

1. Reinstall Terraria.
2. Launch Terraria, press ctrl+shift+esc which will open task manager, find the Terraria application right click it and then click "set priority", then select "high"
3. Verify the integrity of your game cache through steam.
4. Run a virus scan. There are many free services that will allow you to do this, my preference is avast.
5. Download and install Ccleaner run the program and click "analyze" at the bottom, then click "run cleaner". After it deletes all the junk files it finds click the "Registry" tab on the left side of the program. Now click "Scan for Issues" then click "Fix Selected Issues"

If none of that helps it's most likely a hardware issue and not a software issue that we fix reliably. If you have any questions on how to preform any of the tasks above let me know and I'll go into a more detailed explanation on how to do it.

3 minutes 10 seconds... I would now be surprised if hardware was the sole cause of this issue. Go ahead and try the various steps I outlined in my previous post, let me know what kind of results you get with each step. You can skip getting me other hardware information, but I still would like to know all the processes you have running.

ok, here
[doublepost=1526174611,1526174318][/doublepost]on the sticker that came with the laptop it says that the HDD is 500GB and the Memory is 4GB
[doublepost=1526174877][/doublepost]I cant find "set priority" on task manager

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 89
  • Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    49.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
Your memory is the most striking issue here. You have.... 25 tabs of Opera opened correct? McAfee is also concerning, never been a fan of it and it's not my idea of a good software solution to anti viruses.

I want you to close everything that isn't steam, Close opera, temporarily disable McAfee, close the Microsoft office programs you have open, close skype, close discord, now what's the startup time when all of that is closed?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Set priority is going to be in the details tab in Task Manager, you can right click Terraria in the task manager then select go to details or just click on the details tab and find Terraria here is an example:

n51ERdp.png

Remember after setting Terraria to high, close it down and then relaunch it to test startup time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to try the other steps I mentioned in my post above to see if you have any improvements in start up time.

Back
Top Bottom