Biomes & Nature Snow and the Desert

How should this problem be solved?

• Snow and Desert are alternates, like Corruption and Crimson.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Snow should spawn opposite the desert.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Leave it alone, it's fine like it is!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

stormconure

Duke Fishron
How's this for Terraria logic: when you generate a world, a winter wonderland biome can spawn on the same side of the world as the desert. In fact, I've even seen them spawn right next to each other. What kind of sense does that make? Think of the Sahara being directly below the Arctic Circle. Wat?

I am here to suggest 2 different solutions to that issue. The first, more convenient (but still not quite logical) option: snow generates on the OPPOSITE side of the world as the desert, always. I realize that this does sometimes happen already, but I think it should happen all the time. Also, now only one desert spawns per world rather than 2 having a chance to spawn.

Here is the other option, and I'm gonna suggest something kinda crazy (if you don't support this one, I understand). Same principal as corruption vs crimson. Blue/pink/green dungeon. Hell vs frozen hell (oh wait did I just say that? Hehe...)
Anyway, the point is that upon the creation of every world, either the Snow or the Desert spawns, always one, never both. You may be thinking, "The Snow has much better stuff than the desert!" Well, read @zimberzimber's Better Desert thread; all will be solved.

That's all for now! What do you think?

Last edited:
the first option wouldn't work because there can be more than one desert, and they can spawn on both sides of the world

as for the second option, sorry to say this, but I hate it. Its even worse than all the other alternate biomes because it would make certain potions and dyes uncraftable in some worlds.

the first option wouldn't work because there can be more than one desert, and they can spawn on both sides of the world

as for the second option, sorry to say this, but I hate it. Its even worse than all the other alternate biomes because it would make certain potions and dyes uncraftable in some worlds.
About the first thing, it could be changed so there is only one desert. That actually makes a lot if sense.

As for the second, i completely understand, i was just offering it as a kind of conceptual idea.

Edit: There, just updated OP. Better?

Last edited:
About the first thing, it could be changed so there is only one desert. That actually makes a lot if sense.

As for the second, i completely understand, i was just offering it as a kind of conceptual idea.
yeah, If anything the desert should oppose the ice, like the corruption opposes the hallow

I vote one on each side of the map. Having only 1 desert would probably mean that desert is also relatively large, which I think would make it easier to add desert-specific content.

I vote one on each side of the map. Having only 1 desert would probably mean that desert is also relatively large, which I think would make it easier to add desert-specific content.
And desert specific content is a bad thing? Its like youre contradicting yourself. You vote for 2 deserts, but say 1 would be easier to work with. Wat?

Last edited:
And desert specific content is a bad thing? Its like youre contradicting yourself. You vote for 2, but say 1 would be easier to work with. Wat?

Desert-specific content is a good thing. The earlier posts in the thread mentioned how having snow and desert biomes be on opposite sides would sort of require there being only one desert. Thus:

Having snow biome and desert on opposite sides = there's only one desert = that desert is large = desert is easier to add content to = good.

Desert-specific content is a good thing. The earlier posts in the thread mentioned how having snow and desert biomes be on opposite sides would sort of require there being only one desert. Thus:

Having snow biome and desert on opposite sides = there's only one desert = that desert is large = desert is easier to add content to = good.
Ok, that makes sense. You just worded it a little strangely earlier.

The desert right now is NOT one big biome like the ice, jungle or corruption, it is scattered around the map randomly.

Separating the ice and the desert to different worlds would only make things worse.
Your chances of getting your "perfect world" will be halved, and you will have to go through a lot more worlds just to get that one item you want.

About my suggestion, you should read it closely.
It DOES NOT have the same item tiers the ice has, and if both this and my suggestions were to be implemented, the desert would be by far superior.

The desert right now is NOT one big biome like the ice, jungle or corruption, it is scattered around the map randomly.

Separating the ice and the desert to different worlds would only make things worse.
Your chances of getting your "perfect world" will be halved, and you will have to go through a lot more worlds just to get that one item you want.

About my suggestion, you should read it closely.
It DOES NOT have the same item tiers the ice has, and if both this and my suggestions were to be implemented, the desert would be by far superior.
First of all, read the posts on this thread closely- the either-or thing isnt very popular. I was just suggesting it as a kind of crazy idea. Second, about the first option, i even stated that the desert was going to be made into one big biome. That should solve that problem.

First of all, read the posts on this thread closely- the either-or thing isnt very popular. I was just suggesting it as a kind of crazy idea. Second, about the first option, i even stated that the desert was going to be made into one big biome. That should solve that problem.
It could generate around the jungle if that's logic you are looking for.

Just for reference, googled Sahara + snow:

For the only time in recorded weather history, snow fell in the Sahara desert in southern Algeria on February 18, 1979. The storm lasted only half an hour and the snow was gone within hours.

Some parts get snow every year.

The Sahara is mostly an elevated plateau with a mean altitude of 600 m/1,968 ft, the surface of which is diversified by high tablelands and mountains (some 43% of the area is mountains). The summits of the central Ahaggar Mountains and of the Tibesti Mountains, farther to the east, rise as high as 2,600 m/8,530 ft and are snow-capped for several months of the year.

Also, I don't really mind this illogical thing. But I can't really argue about having one big desert, either, as having miniature ones is quite frankly annoying.

Biomes don't have a face, therefore there is no such thing as 'front' or 'back' of the jungle. ;)
Why can i never word things correctly?

I meant either closer or farther from the spawn, depending on where the jungle is on that line. Ex: jungle is closer, desert is farther. Jungle is farther, desert is closer.

Why can i never word things correctly?

I meant either closer or farther from the spawn, depending on where the jungle is on that line. Ex: jungle is closer, desert is farther. Jungle is farther, desert is closer.
I would say closer, like how the ice biome spawns closer than the dungeon

Yes, I voted for the first option in the poll. More content should be added to even the biomes out, and then they should become alternate. My worlds are becoming so cluttered, there's hardly any purity left to do anything. We can't have the corruption, hallow, jungle, ocean, desert, and snow biomes all in the same world, especially on small worlds.

Back
Top Bottom