Biomes & Nature Snow biome placement and size

Would you like to revert Snow biome gen rules to pre-1.4 state (larger biome, closer to spawn)?

• Total voters

CrimsHallowHero

Terrarian
Background
In 1.4 snow biome generation was changed. Most notably:
- its size has been reduced;
- it is placed significantly further from spawn point now.

After quick search I haven't found officially declared reasons behind the changes. Howbeit, some consequences of the change can be seen through the game experience after more than 1,5 years since Journey's End release date.

Snow biome is essentially a next step in progression after Forest/Underground/Caverns. It features more powerful enemies than in pure Caverns that are still not as deadly as in Underground Desert/Evil/Jungle. Equipment found here usually follows similar power gradient (except for UG Desert weapons which are a bit underwhelming for this biome, IMO).

World generation usually puts Snow biome quite far from spawn point making accessing it significantly harder or puts it behind Evil biome thus blocking it from early access outright. Later in a game its content got mostly outclassed making exploration of the Snow biome unneeded. Only few utility items remain useful, namely Ice Skates and Blizzard in a Bottle. Last but not the least, far placed Snow biome is often overridden by the Dungeon further reducing already not so large biome area.

Suggestion
All these suggested me to propose changing Snow biome generation rules to something similar to those in v1.3. They felt more in line with progression granting smoother transition from Caverns to Evil/Desert/Jungle.

There is a poll to express players' opinion in short form. However, constructive criticism or additional arguments in favor of the suggestion would be much appreciated.

Support, though some tweaks would be helpful to at least make sure the evil biomes don't spawn in the snow all the time, because that is one of the most annoying things that can happen (Usually when I create a world for certain things, this happens: I make the world, look for and explore the surface snow, and if I encounter evil biome before leaving the biome I delete the world and make a new one, which is extremely tedious...).

Support, though some tweaks would be helpful to at least make sure the evil biomes don't spawn in the snow all the time, because that is one of the most annoying things that can happen (Usually when I create a world for certain things, this happens: I make the world, look for and explore the surface snow, and if I encounter evil biome before leaving the biome I delete the world and make a new one, which is extremely tedious...).
Esther i use a tool called TEdit for such things (it’s like mcedit) to avoid the tediousness. It’s a really easy tool to learn and use.

I already know (and have) TEdit, but that doesn't help if the corruption/crimson spawns in the snow on world generation.
You can edit it to change only certain blocks to a specific other block and put in a buffer zone to stop the spread from occurring later. You can edit and move the corruption or expand the snow biome. So I’m not really sure how that doesn’t help. You can literally make an entire map from nothing using TEdit.

You can edit it to change only certain blocks to a specific other block and put in a buffer zone to stop the spread from occurring later. You can edit and move the corruption or expand the snow biome. So I’m not really sure how that doesn’t help. You can literally make an entire map from nothing using TEdit.
I'm generally lazy and very picky with world generation so it just felt more productive to move on to a new world back when I needed certain world gen. Another one of the things I needed for that world was the snow being on the right side of the world specifically, along with a mountain just before it. I eventually did get that world gen I wanted though, and only really spent time in TEdit to move a FTW temple into the world while setting the time to sunset. Eventually I'll put that world to use...

Ya, but I find it slow and painful. It would be nice if there was clentaminator sprays for every biome that would switch all the blocks to the proper blocks.

Ya, but I find it slow and painful. It would be nice if there was clentaminator sprays for every biome that would switch all the blocks to the proper blocks.
Good idea…biome sprays/liquids for the missing biomes. Some just auto revert with sprays but like underground you lose the ash I think but maybe they fixed that. You should post this as a suggestion. Thinking about it they should add ocean/desert, graveyard, snow, oasis, and underworld sprays.

@mechtech what do you think?
Edit:

Clentaminator Biome Solutions

Desert/Ocean - Yellow
Snow - White
Graveyard - Orange
Jungle - Light Green
Underworld - Grey
Oasis - Light Blue

Last edited:
Good idea…biome sprays/liquids for the missing biomes. Some just auto revert with sprays but like underground you lose the ash I think but maybe they fixed that. You should post this as a suggestion. Thinking about it they should add ocean/desert, graveyard, snow, oasis, and underworld sprays.

@mechtech what do you think?
Edit:

Clentaminator Biome Solutions

Desert/Ocean - Yellow
Snow - White
Graveyard - Orange
Jungle - Light Green
Underworld - Grey
Oasis - Light Blue
Hmmm a few thoughts

Graveyard is kind of easy to make on its own ;) I think we all have an excess supply of tombstones. lol

Underworld, I have no clue if that is doable? game mechanics, maybe like space??

Others ya be nice for sure. Although I think Oasis/Desert/Ocean could probably be done by one solution. Probably adding the correct amount of water would set a sand type biome??

Yes I agree with you…I had the same thoughts. Come to think of it…oasis not at all necessary with the bottomless bucket. Graveyard was a desire at first but only requires 5 tombstones to make one. Underworld is doable but it will just exceed normal minimum depths. So really only 4 solutions needed. Unless I’m forgetting one? I’ll make the post.

After quick search I haven't found officially declared reasons behind the changes. Howbeit, some consequences of the change can be seen through the game experience after more than 1,5 years since Journey's End release date.
Though I agree that it was pretty cool❄️... having the Tundra Biome sometimes be your default spawning point in 1.3.5, in hindsight, I've gotta admit that it's pretty inconsequential now, as of 1.4.3.6. With the addition of the NPC Happiness system and Pylons, practically any place on your Map can be your "Home/ Base".

It doesn't stop there either, depending on how early you can get your hands on a Magic Conch [or if you're playing on a Celebration MK2 World], the Ocean Biome can be your "Home/ Base", almost from the very start of the game!

Trust when I say, I have some pretty deep attachments to the Tundra Biome when I claim this; it was my first, original Fishing Village [spot], that actually got me into enjoying Fishing. I hated to see it go just-as-well, but what we got in exchange, is WAY more valuable IMHO, and with the 1.4.4 [1.5] Updates just around the corner, considering the Mushroom Biome and the potential with Neon Bricks [from Moss Bricks], just takes things to another level!

Snow biome is essentially a next step in progression after Forest/Underground/Caverns...Later in a game its content got mostly outclassed making exploration of the Snow biome unneeded. Only few utility items remain useful, namely Ice Skates and Blizzard in a Bottle. Last but not the least, far placed Snow biome is often overridden by the Dungeon further reducing already not so large biome area.
I can say with some certainty, that the Tundra Biome has always been a great place for Summoner Class, especially pre-Harmode, but even more-so with the 1.4+ additions. Also, though I've gotten away from it as of late, Frostburn has never stopped being a great DPS/ DoT option I think, and I believe quite a few Underground Tundra items got a Frostburn buff added to them? 🤔 ☕

In addition, I know that Deerclops was added in, finally giving the Tundra an Official, pre-Harmode Boss [with good items], and of course if you like the Cool Whip❄️, Frost Cores and Frozen Shell are certainly with collecting in Hardmode.

Just seen the wiki that additional solutions were added in LoL update!!!!! (after the moonlord..................only at first mech boss now)

Awesome!!

Thanks

I definitely miss snow spawns. It spiced up variety in worlds without it being too difficult early game

Back
Top Bottom