Resolved So I had to update the game, and this happened...

ETAC

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I opened steam to play terraria, and it had an update. Ok, a little odd, saying how I just got 1.4.1... so I update it, and guess what happens. The game menu is broken! Here, take a look. It's all zoomed in and hard to see, and this only happened AFTER I updated the game. It looks much worse on my screen too, I have no idea why everything is overlapping and all. Please fix this if it's a bug, thanks!
Screenshot (7).png
game. If you have an explanation... Please let me know. Thanks!
Screenshot (5).png
index.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    164 KB · Views: 561
could you show us your resolution settings and UI zoom settings, that could be it
As you see, my settings are at default, and when I tried to change them it just made it worse by shrinking my UI and zooming in more.

Screenshot (8).png

Ok, the resolution was the problem. I just don't remember changing it. I guess it just glitched out or something. But anyways, thanks!
Yeah, for some reason Terraria periodically likes to start many folks at like 800x600 resolution, though in my case it shrinks the available screen area really small with big black borders.

So while your symptoms were from the resolution, the CAUSE of that resolution happening by default is definitely a bug.

It's really annoying, and has been reported a while back. I hope they're looking into it. Sucks that this got marked as "Resolved" when it shouldn't be normal for the game to randomly do that to players. o_O

Last edited:
We know what the issue is, but we've been unable to resolve it.

In essence, for some users (but not all), receiving a Terraria update resets the config file settings. This is very difficult for us to track down the cause of, as it ONLY happens on a legitimate Steam update, and it ONLY happens to some users.

Since we can't reproduce it internally, and it only happens periodically, its very hard to accurately diagnose. However, its also a passing issue, as it only happens when there is an update, and there will not be many more updates. So its ultimately an annoying bug, but one that will resolve itself forever in time.

If it helps to find more data, it also happens for me. I have been able to fix it by putting the game into windowed mode and manually dragging the window to the edges of the screen.

Back
Top Bottom