So, I was playing Perfect Dark right after this and it occured to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoticCharm

Terrarian
One of the things that made Perfect Dark so enjoyable compared to Goldeneye 64 was the addition of "alternate fires". This was where each gun would have a different attack that you could switch to. Pistols could have a pistol whip, the laptop gun turned into a turret, the dragon became a proximity mine, and so on.

Then I realized something. Why can't we do that in Terraria? The sniper has an alternate fire because of the zoom feature, but why stop there? Imagine if the death sickle shot out 3 homing projectiles (albeit at a mana cost and less damage per projectile), or if some of the swords had a parry move that when timed would greatly reduce the damage taken, or if the Excalibur's alternate fire could be used to break blocks. Ranged weapons could have alternate fire modes that use the next ammo stack in order, effectively allowing a player to switch between two types of ammo on the fly instead of going into the inventory in the middle of battle. Magic weapons could have more devastating or wider ranged attacks in exchange for a greater mana cost, like if the crystal storm alternate fire shot 8 crystal shots in different directions like a nova spell.

The more I think about it, the more potential I see in it. As long as the alternate fires aren't universally better or worse than their counterpart and they only enhance the experience by providing players with a different options, then it could work. I don't see this happening as it would require a lot of work, even if the base items are already in the game. It would be cool, but I think it will only be a dream and not a reality.

Regardless, what kind of alternate fire modes would you like to see?

Normally, I'd have something snarky to say here, but, as I'm learning to have some patience, I'll try something else.

There's a saturation of weapons in the game as it stands, and it's already difficult enough to decide what to put in the hotbar, let alone having alternate fires.

Think of it this way: Adding alternate fires to a game with a ton of choices is roughly the same as an MMORPG adding about fifteen new class types in around two years. Saturation detracts from games. The fact that Terraria doesn't feel like this, says a lot, as it's basically a sandbox with some extra features. It still manages to maintain it's charm, without beating you over the head with a bunch of trivial things.
I agree that terraria is quite good as is, and the weapons would be like swiss-army-excalibur

This is a really interesting idea, I think it would be cool on some weapons, but not in other, I see what you mean on the death sickle, that would be cool, but not on other weapons you know?

There's a saturation of weapons in the game as it stands, and it's already difficult enough to decide what to put in the hotbar, let alone having alternate fires.

Think of it this way: Adding alternate fires to a game with a ton of choices is roughly the same as an MMORPG adding about fifteen new class types in around two years.

I wouldn't say those things things are the same. Adding a new class versus adding a second function to a weapon are two different things. The weapon functions are meant to be of much smaller scale, and you can't really switch classes the way you could the weapon functions.

Furthermore, the hot bar issue you mentioned seems a bit of a contradiction to your stance on the issue. Adding secondary functions would actually free up your hotbar by making it where you don't feel the need to hold as many weapons. The issue many people run into with the hotbar is that the want enough weapons to tackle any situation, but then they can't hold all the tools they need (or fun items like mount summons). I see alternate fire modes as a way to alleviate that issue, not increase it.

We already have a crapload of different weapons from each type which all do things relatively different. So, there's your 'alt fire.'

Is that really a fair argument, though? I'm pretty sure you are like that rest of us and you're curious what new weapons and tools will be added in the new update. It would seem odd if alternate modes for weapons were considered to be over-saturating Terraia, yet adding new items in the update wasn't considered the same thing.

No, and yes. I'd like this, but then again it's unnecessary.

Well, originally it was a "what cool things would you like to see" topic and less of a "do you like this idea" topic. Forgot if it is unnecessary, just let the ideas flow!

Why go adding different "fire modes" for current weaponry, when making new weapons already covers the whole "more attacks" deal?

Also, there's two weapon classes which get different attack patterns. (Most) bows and some guns.

Its a cool idea I'll give you that, but I have to agree that adding in alternate firing modes is redundant when we could just have a new weapon. We've already got a lot of weapons why make the choices of which you use more complicated than needed.

I would love to pistol whip enemies when I run out of ammo. Also, ammo switching is SUPER important to me, even if there is some kind of cool-down.

FULL SUPPORT.

Why go adding different "fire modes" for current weaponry, when making new weapons already covers the whole "more attacks" deal?

Also, there's two weapon classes which get different attack patterns. (Most) bows and some guns.

Just browsing through the idea casually though, what about having the option to stab and swing with a broadsword? I don't know what would happen with spears, thought you'd know best.

Just browsing through the idea casually though, what about having the option to stab and swing with a broadsword? I don't know what would happen with spears, thought you'd know best.

Spin the spear vertically to create a sort of "safe area" made of pain and spear.

I always thought more weapons should have alternate functions as well. Just for fun mostly. Not every weapon needs one, but more would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom