Other Literature Social Experiment.

Schparks

Secret Tree Lover
I've often wondered if people would like me better if I didn't act like me. What if I took out all of what made me unique, and instead replaced it with what others expect of me, in other words, becoming "normal." The following is a log of a 30 day social experiment in which I suppress what makes me special in order to strive to be what "perfection" is. This log will be uploaded daily and will detail my behaviour and peoples reactions, as well as my typical behaviour and what my actual feelings are. I will be attempting this without anyone noticing.

Let's begin.

It's the beginning of a new month. Having just had hosted a Halloween party, my family is fairly tired and recovering. Our house is fairly messy and everyone is feeling too tired to do much.

Usually, I would be resting with them, not starting the bulk of the clean-up until tomorrow. Following the experiment, however, I have taken it upon myself to start cleaning up even if everyone else isn't. While my parents are resting and reminiscing on the previous night, and my siblings are enjoying their candy and vegging out, I am folding laundry, mopping and sweeping, and picking up the general mess. In order to not arouse suspicion, I left what designated chores were to my family.

I would like to specify that my family aren't slobs, in fact they are very clean people, and I am in no way doing all of the work of the house.

Being the first day, I wasn't feeling much different. It would have been nice to rest and eat junk food, but It wasn't terribly difficult in pushing myself to clean.

Things have been going well. In order to not arouse suspicion of my experiment, I have been slowly reducing the amount of "weird' jokes and actions I am known for, instead of cutting it off instantly.

I lead the proverbial charge of clean up, making sure my family felt well supported. It was actually quite nice as I was essentially forcing myself to have motivation and initiative I usually wouldn't have. I was able to do my school, practice my hobbies, and preform my therapy without having felt like I was grasping for time.

The downside of this is that I have started to take away time for the frivolous activities I would usually preform, such as reading my favorite web-novel or spriting some new weapons for my mod. Such is life, however.

My family has taken note of my recent activities and have praised me for them. It was nice, but I would have liked to read at least one chapter of my novel.

It was rough getting up the third day. I wanted nothing more than to already give up and go back to normal, but we might as well continue. Science demands it.

I focused primarily on laundry, school, and cooking, on top of all my regular practices. It was rough trying to juggle so many things at once, and I will admit I dropped the ball more than once. Probably not my best showing of that day. I think the thing that made it the hardest was nt being able to make all the jokes i usually would. I ended up getting a lot more frustrated than I should have.

I didn't realize that i used joking as a coping mechanism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom