Important Social Group House Cleaning Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out for the night at a family xmas get together, but now that I'm back I'll see if I can answer a few of the questions.

Server space is not an issue and was not a factor in this house cleaning. The main factor behind this is the clutter of so many empty, barely used, and inactive groups, which make it difficult both for members to search through when looking for relevant content and for the staff to oversee.

Post/like counts are not part of any forum mechanics like it is on other sites, so it is not a high priority, however some consideration is being given to post/like count and some amount of on-topic content is being archived instead of outright deleted to account for this.

As of now, pretty much every group inactive since 2015 or earlier is up for removal. There may be an exception or two, but that will be purely at the discretion of the staff where we deem it beneficial to the forum as a whole.

We recognize the importance of the roleplay groups section and are cutting some leeway here and there, such as processing it last and giving RP groups as much time as possible to save what they want, but inactive groups from 2015 or earlier are going, so I suggest you save what content you wish to save. I know there are memories and nostalgia for old campaigns, but nothing lasts forever. There won't be any archiving groups to store old content, but since darthmorf has offered that might be an option for those that wish to take it.

As said in the opening post, the staff will not be making any determination about what RP group content needs to be saved. That will be left completely up to the members and moderators of those groups to do in the extended amount of time that is being given. To give a very rough estimate, you will all have between a 2 to 4 weeks from now to get whatever you want to get from them before they are removed.

I hope that addresses the questions that were up in the air and I don't think I missed any, but if I did feel free to reask or to ask any other questions and I'll answer them as best I can. :)

Okay, I can understand that. Seeing as the onus isn't on server space and you talked about Darthmorf's own group, would it be permissible for myself to make a single Archive SG where myself and any other members who wished to could manually re-post content from 2015 and 2014 RPs which they feel is important still to reference?

...Granted, it's a selfish question, but there's a great many things I can let go but a couple ones like Hunters of Remnant were absolute crackers, some of the best and brightest of TCF even now, and I'd like for them to be accessible in some form on the Forums still as a resource for budding or flagging RPers, and a good example to creators.

I don't mind at all archiving a good lot of the important old threads, it'd be easy to view and navigate for everyone - staffs could check through it as they wished, although I can personally guarantee that we've done a pretty good job of self-policing in the RP community (granted, with one notable exception), and none of what is written is contextually inappropriate nor verbally abusive. I think it'd solve a lot of problems all around. It'd also be a lot better than just dumping a massive wodge of RP onto Darthmorf's group, which would utterly baffle the good ~80% of the members there who aren't regulars in the RP community.

Okay, I can understand that. Seeing as the onus isn't on server space and you talked about Darthmorf's own group, would it be permissible for myself to make a single Archive SG where myself and any other members who wished to could manually re-post content from 2015 and 2014 RPs which they feel is important still to reference?

After discussing this with other staff, it was agreed that this isn't an unfair request and that it will be allowed. You seem to have the proper intentions, but there are a few guidelines that I want to lay out so that they written for future reference:

1) This will be the only archive group allowed. No other archive groups are to be created besides this one and any that are will be removed.
2) You can oversee the group, but any non-rule breaking RPs can be archived in the group.
3) Please refrain from archiving any general discussion, off-topic chat, or similar non-RP related threads unless absolutely necessary. Also plese keep the archiving of any OOC thread content to the absolute minimum. Basically, the intention seems to be to archive IC, possibly information, and related thread content, which we fully support, but I would prefer that very little to no random chitchat is archived. Use best judgement and I think everything should work out fine.

If that all sounds reasonable, then you are green lit to create the group. If you have any questions or comments or think I've misunderstood what you wanting to do, then please speak up. :)

After discussing this with other staff, it was agreed that this isn't an unfair request and that it will be allowed. You seem to have the proper intentions, but there are a few guidelines that I want to lay out so that they written for future reference:

1) This will be the only archive group allowed. No other archive groups are to be created besides this one and any that are will be removed.
2) You can oversee the group, but any non-rule breaking RPs can be archived in the group.
3) Please refrain from archiving any general discussion, off-topic chat, or similar non-RP related threads unless absolutely necessary. Also plese keep the archiving of any OOC thread content to the absolute minimum. Basically, the intention seems to be to archive IC, possibly information, and related thread content, which we fully support, but I would prefer that very little to no random chitchat is archived. Use best judgement and I think everything should work out fine.

If that all sounds reasonable, then you are green lit to create the group. If you have any questions or comments or think I've misunderstood what you wanting to do, then please speak up. :)

Thank you! As for the caveats, they seem very reasonable, certainly I hope that everyone will archive stuff they personally care about as well as just myself saving a bunch of old RPs I was personally involved with - I don't want anyone else to be sad and feel they lost-out. I'll get making the group in the RP section, and I'll make sure these guidelines are in the welcome thread along with anything else I'd figure I should add.

Will TCF be offline for a brief period? There's probably a lot of empty social groups, so will it lag (if not go offline)?

Since this round of house cleaning has been successfully completed, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. If anyone has any questions related to this project, they are more than welcome to contact me via a Private Message.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom