TCF Suggestion Social Groups not visible when public.

Marcus101RR

Master of Ravens
I think its pointless in my strong opinion to set a Social Group Public given the fact that its not public at all. As there are a total of 4 options to choose from on how your group appears in the public list when users see it from the menu, and when viewing it. Here are some pointers and fixes that need to be done. As this is sadly affecting the excuses of users on the server and the group such as the following:

Issue: I cannot register on the forums!
Reason: Most likely because they are too young, not allowed, or parental control has been added. This forces the user not able to register! Leaving the group not view-able and its contents.

Issue: I have been banned from TCF, I cannot see the group!
Reason: Banned is bad, usually if they are banned from the forums here, we say you are banned from our servers because there is obviously a good reason you are! However, we may let them slide if they can just see it without being a registered user.

Issue: They do not want to, period!
Reason: They obviously have reason to say that, and I don't blame them!

These are the common issues I am getting reported and they are blaming me for it, I have told them, this is a TCF issue, the plugin, or addon they are using to allow social groups needs to be re-coded a bit to fix up the 4 options as they make no logical sense in choice for both the owner and its users to this community. There was an obvious reason why these groups were created and allowed, it is so owners can post and advertise their servers, create clans for their team regardless of system they use, and even just have a social group for whatever idea it is!

Now, we have four options to choose from and a few make absolutely no sense given the situations: Public, Read Only, Private, Invite Only

Public
The first and easy option, its public, simply stated, anyone, and everyone can see it. Here is the catch however, not EVERYONE can see it, and not only that, they are FORCED to register an account. Oh wait, there is more, THEY MUST join the social group in order to even see and read its contents! That means threads are not available, especially our rules that everyone is required to read before playing or joining our group! That is extremely illogical! Here is a screenshot of a user who doesn't have an account VS one who does:

wQujDr8.jpg

IMAGE 1: You can see on the left the guest has no account, also appears to apply to one who does. They cannot read the threads, therefor they miss out on important things they should be reading. Being forced to register, and join the social group defeats the purpose of "PUBLIC" option. Its better to be "Invite Only" or "Private".

Mxmlv7g.jpg

IMAGE 2: The second image above demonstrates the exact concept of what PUBLIC OPTION should be doing. You notice that all social groups appear PRIVATE. However, we know for a fact that not all of these groups are actually PRIVATE. They didn't select this option. The one of the right is what should appear to any user, including those that have no account on TCF.

Now, What exactly do the other options do?

READ ONLY
This one clearly would mean the social group is only readable, but you cannot post. This obviously only goes for the members, but not the Admin or the Moderators of that group! That is great, but its an oxymoron at its best. Read only, yet, its not readable to a guest again. It doesn't show any threads! Option, useless! Please fix that.

INVITE ONLY
You must be invited to see the group, which gives it a REASON to be non-readable for guests. So obviously this is fine, we don't want people reading our threads unless they are invited. That would make this option vital for servers or groups that don't want guests to get their hands on anything...destructive.

PRIVATE
I suppose this one means for yourself only. Not that I care about this option so whatever it does, is for those who use it.

Bottom line, the use of Public / Read Only are actually nothing more than Invite Only, you must join, and then can you get the option to read these threads! They do not appear for guests who are not part of that group. Please fix this, a lot of players are complaining that they cannot read any threads, they have reasons not to register/login to TCF. They have the right to, but our server requires that you read all important threads. Just like your TCF community asks that all users read the rules before joining. Guess what? Those threads are public to guests before they register. That is logical, and important. Please consider doing the same thing to the Social Groups.

I am sure there are a few other public groups out there who are experiencing the same problem. We hope you take this into consideration as it makes the interface more enjoyable to the community and less of a hassle to the unfortunate.

READ ONLY
This one clearly would mean the social group is only readable, but you cannot post. This obviously only goes for the members, but not the Admin or the Moderators of that group! That is great, but its an oxymoron at its best. Read only, yet, its not readable to a guest again. It doesn't show any threads! Option, useless! Please fix that.
You are mistaken here.

Read Only is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It makes it so that anyone can read it without joining, but only SG members can post (for reiteration, all members, not just admins/mods). Looking through your social group, this is the setting you need to set it to.

As for the guests, you need to be a registered and not-banned member of TCF in order to participate in our social groups. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edit:

Going over the categories:

Read Only: Anyone can request to join. Anyone can view the threads, only members can post.

Public: Anyone can request to join. Only members can view threads and read posts.

Invite Only: You can't request to join, but must be invited. Only members can view threads and read posts.

In addition, you can select "Custom" instead of one of these four options, and manage what various user groups can do on your own instead of using the defaulted selection. However, it still must visually show "Read Only," "Public," "Invite Only," or "Private."
Note: The "Guest" option is referring to TCF members who are not actual members of your Social Group.

Last edited:
You are mistaken here.

Read Only is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It makes it so that anyone can read it without joining, but only SG members can post (for reiteration, all members, not just admins/mods). Looking through your social group, this is the setting you need to set it to.

As for the guests, you need to be a registered and not-banned member of TCF in order to participate in our social groups. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edit:

Going over the categories:

Read Only: Anyone can request to join. Anyone can view the threads, only members can post.

Public: Anyone can request to join. Only members can view threads and read posts.

Invite Only: You can't request to join, but must be invited. Only members can view threads and read posts.

In addition, you can select "Custom" instead of one of these four options, and manage what various user groups can do on your own instead of using the defaulted selection. However, it still must visually show "Read Only," "Public," "Invite Only," or "Private."
Note: The "Guest" option is referring to TCF members who are not actual members of your Social Group.

Read Only was to me the option of Only the admin/mod can edit and post. All others are excluded...

So what is the difference between the "Set Social Forum Status" and "Privacy"?

One is just a visual flag for users to see (if its not private) and the other is the actual setting. The plugin had no way to make it automatically apply to both fields.

Well, thanks for explaining, I would never thought read-only was the option, to me read only means. No editing, just reading. Typical System response like the OS. Resolved...

Just to close this off - there are brief explanations of each format in the setup menu.

Does anyone feel these are unclear? (Serious question)

image.jpeg

Just to close this off - there are brief explanations of each format in the setup menu.

View attachment 90899

I do, to be honest. To me the names of the setups don't describe the read and write permissions properly. Read Only, for instance, gives the impression that only the Group Owner/Moderators can post.

I have some suggestions to change them, but they might be rather confusing in themselves for people who are used to the old setups, perhaps even more confusing than the current ones.
  • Change Read Only to Public (because the information in the SG is public and everyone can see it);
  • Change Public to Private (because information in the SG can only be seen by members and therefore is private);
  • Change Private to Application Required (because to join the SG you have to apply).
I understand this might be confusing, especially the Public/Private switcheroo, but to me it makes more sense.

I do, to be honest. To me the names of the setups don't describe the read and write permissions properly. Read Only, for instance, gives the impression that only the Group Owner/Moderators can post.

I have some suggestions to change them, but they might be rather confusing in themselves for people who are used to the old setups, perhaps even more confusing than the current ones.
  • Change Read Only to Public (because the information in the SG is public and everyone can see it);
  • Change Public to Private (because information in the SG can only be seen by members and therefore is private);
  • Change Private to Application Required (because to join the SG you have to apply).
I understand this might be confusing, especially the Public/Private switcheroo, but to me it makes more sense.
This is a plug-in that we purchased, and the names of the options are not configurable by us.

In the context of this implementation, 'Public' means that people can join without an invitation. It has nothing to do with read/write permissions.

This would also be weird. If you use the default private settings, people can't even see the SG in the list of SGs to submit an application. Private is more like "Hidden," tbh.

This is a plug-in that we purchased, and the names of the options are not configurable by us.

In the context of this implementation, 'Public' means that people can join without an invitation. It has nothing to do with read/write permissions.

It wasn't clear to me from the context of Loki's post that those weren't configurable, so I was just throwing stuff out. Still, to me the naming convention isn't very consistent in said context, as three of the options refer to join procedures (Public, Private, Invitation Only), and the other two describe read permissions. I can certainly understand how that could cause confusions as described in the OP (or inquired to by Loki).

Nevertheless, considering how that's just the way it is, and this is well documented in the User Guide anyway*, I'll just have to live with it. I think I'll survive it.

EDIT: *Actually, it's missing info about the *Thread Titles Only option, but that's probably an insignificant omission (I have a habit of picking those up).

There is some configurability here. For example, thread titles only is one I created - you cannot see it on yours because I couldn't get the permissions spaghetti to work right at the time. :p

I think read only is pretty clear - ANYONE can read...I don't see how people are getting that to be only mods and admins.

Public/Private has to do with whether or not your application needs SG staff approval for you to join (but you can click the join button)

Invite Only disables the join button, making invitation from within the group the only way to join.

Wish more people would read the UG (as you noted), but if I can clean up the language on these settings (which I think are the right options to have), that is what I'm asking. I'm not messing with the settings at this point for the existing options. It would cause untold chaos if setting X were removed or changed for any SG that uses it currently.

I think read only is pretty clear - ANYONE can read...I don't see how people are getting that to be only mods and admins.

Because I use computers a lot and so my brain automatically assumes the term Read Only does the same thing here it does on computers. But that's just me, though.

View attachment 90899

I have no idea, but this bugs me for some odd reason:

Public - Only Members can post and read, but not the public.
Read Only - Everyone can read, but only members can post.

Well that makes no sense to me...

Excuse me sir, The bathroom is public (only people who have the card can use and enter the bathroom.)

Oh sorry sir, this bathroom is Read Only ( you can enter the bathroom, but you can't use the toilets unless you are a member.)

LOL WTF? heh. Am I thinking wrong here...or maybe I am just missing the point and its not getting through my rock-solid brain right now. lol

The point is, we are dealing with the purpose of joining Groups, so in turn, this should be the correction option and descriptions:

Public - Everyone can read, Anyone can Join, Members can post, Newest thread appears in SG list instead of (Private).
Read Only / Invite Only - Everyone can read, Accepted Invitations can join, Members cannot post, Newest threads appear on SG list instead of (Private).
Private - Only Staff can read, only Owner can invite new members, members can post, appears as (Private).

Last edited:
Read Only and Invite Only are not the same thing though.

I am ONLY going to change nomenclature and descriptions. To fiddle with the existing settings themselves is to invite chaos at this point.

Only staff can read makes no sense....what would membership do for you then? I don't get that one. Sorry if I'm the one being dense. :)

Only staff can read makes no sense....what would membership do for you then? I don't get that one. Sorry if I'm the one being dense. :)

It makes no sense, no, but that's what the name implies the option does. Hence the confusion.

It makes no sense, no, but that's what the name implies the option does. Hence the confusion.

Except that it doesn't outside of pre-existing implications of the term? :p "Everyone can read" - I suppose I can change that to "Any TCF Member can read?" Would that help?

Except that it doesn't outside of pre-existing implications of the term? :p "Everyone can read" - I suppose I can change that to "Any TCF Member can read?" Would that help?

I thought Guests could read Read Only SGs as well, at least based on what Char said.

But yeah, it's the pre-existing implication that causes confusion. Read Only as in "Everyone can read but you have to join the Social Group to post." is a bit dubious because it's not logical to assume that people can post without joining the SG (because that would defy the point of having a Social Group in the first place), let alone without registering to TCF, and even if that were possible, I don't think it would be a popular option (vandalism and such).

How about Fully Visible or something along those lines?

Read Only and Invite Only are not the same thing though.

I am ONLY going to change nomenclature and descriptions. To fiddle with the existing settings themselves is to invite chaos at this point.

Not being dense at all, I agree with you it doesn't make sense that having a group for staff is needed. It's just these options are switched around incorrectly based on their own titles.

I truly think that when something is titled "Public" it literally means its public use, that means the only restrictions is that a "Governing Body" has control of the content that wish to add/delete/edit, etc. Meanwhile, Anyone can participate in it, anyone can join in it, and see it.

TO be honest, the only thing that needs to be done is, Read Only and Public need to be switched around.

Back
Top Bottom