tModLoader Solidified Potions

If I were to add infinite-use healing potions, how many potions should it take to craft?

• More!

Votes: 21 19.1%

Votes: 24 21.8%

Votes: 49 44.5%
  • Less!

Votes: 16 14.5%

• Total voters
@dtim Saying this now: Tim's Fishing Potion is extremely overpowered for its current cost.

I suggest:
- Bottled Water
- Deathweed
- Nightcrawler
- Doublecod
- Journeyman's Bait

Extremely? Hmm, I must have been really unlucky in my tests. Well, come to think of it I was using a character with low level fishing power and that does make a difference so that was probably it. I'll do some more testing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Making it use a Nightcrawler does sound good. Hehe.

I was thinking of something more like:
  • Expert Grade - Kill WoF
  • Master Grade - Kill any mech boss
  • Grand Grade - KIll Plantera
  • Eldritch (?) Grade - Kill Moon Lord (not an actual grade right now, but it would be nice, for the people that want to be super OP end game)

Well, i'm the type of person who doesn't want the option of becoming OP, because they'll chose it every single time, but i don't want to take that choice away from others either, it's their game. I just give my suggestions and see what the mod creator will do with them. Also i like that solidified healing/mana potion idea.

If I did do a progression system I would almost certainly make it optional. And it would be more like
Expert - kill any boss
Master - kill WoF
Grand - kill Plantera
Lunar - kill Moon Lord

Part of the problem would be that I think Grand are pretty ridiculous so anything past that... maybe I could make it where you could only combine a Grand with an Expert or Master to produce the final level.

Regarding healing/mana potions, I thought there were some mods that provide that sort of thing already. I swear I saw something just yesterday...

If I did do a progression system I would almost certainly make it optional. And it would be more like
Expert - kill any boss
Master - kill WoF
Grand - kill Plantera
Lunar - kill Moon Lord

Part of the problem would be that I think Grand are pretty ridiculous so anything past that... maybe I could make it where you could only combine a Grand with an Expert or Master to produce the final level.

Regarding healing/mana potions, I thought there were some mods that provide that sort of thing already. I swear I saw something just yesterday...

Yes! optional would be best. Also, if you would need to kill any boss to get to expert then that's already a thing, since you need to kill skeletron to get the alchemy table. I agree that grand potions are pretty ridiculous already, it's just a random thought i had.

I do remember seeing an infinite health potion somewhere, can't remember were though, maybe it's part of a much bigger mod.

Extremely? Hmm, I must have been really unlucky in my tests. Well, come to think of it I was using a character with low level fishing power and that does make a difference so that was probably it. I'll do some more testing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Making it use a Nightcrawler does sound good. Hehe.

I might have overdone it a little bit with the description, but for its current cost it certainly is on the overpowered side. The current effect activation chance is pretty much perfect, its just the recipe that makes it overpowered. I also might have went overboard on the suggested recipe, I think something like this would be perfect:

Tim's Fishing Potion:
- Bottled Water
- Deathweed
- Waterbloom
- Nightcrawler
- Doublecod
- Journeyman Bait

Looks expensive to create, but it really isn't for the effect it provides. Deathweed and Waterbloom are the more uncommon herbs in Terraria, so it offsets the amazing effect the potion provides, and makes it harder to craft 30 of them for the Solidified version.

The idea was actually along the lines of "Let's give Expert players a little more flexibility. I'll make it where the caps get hit sooner and so they can combine different effects." Then for some reason I decided to increase the Max also and from there I let the numbers get out of control. :merchantsigh:
why remove the old system before having a new system made ?

why remove the old system before having a new system made ?

Because I decided it really didn't fit at all with the rest of the mod. I've put in a few things here and there to try balance (like the "Flawed" and "Weird" possibilities). The expert system I threw in had no downside, no effort was required, it just gave a huge boost to everything.
[doublepost=1485028298,1485027911][/doublepost]
I might have overdone it a little bit with the description, but for its current cost it certainly is on the overpowered side. The current effect activation chance is pretty much perfect, its just the recipe that makes it overpowered. I also might have went overboard on the suggested recipe, I think something like this would be perfect:

Tim's Fishing Potion:
- Bottled Water
- Deathweed
- Waterbloom
- Nightcrawler
- Doublecod
- Journeyman Bait

Looks expensive to create, but it really isn't for the effect it provides. Deathweed and Waterbloom are the more uncommon herbs in Terraria, so it offsets the amazing effect the potion provides, and makes it harder to craft 30 of them for the Solidified version.

Hey, wait. You added another ingredient to the recipe! Heh, anyway, I'll probably go with what you suggested first.

Water, Deathweed, Nightcrawler, Doublecod, and either Journeyman or Apprentice Bait (I mean I'll pick one not have both as an option). The last bit I'll give some careful thought to. I keep feeling like the Apprentice bait in my inventory goes to waste so I thought I'd choose it to give it some kind of use.

Because I decided it really didn't fit at all with the rest of the mod. I've put in a few things here and there to try balance (like the "Flawed" and "Weird" possibilities). The expert system I threw in had no downside, no effort was required, it just gave a huge boost to everything.
[doublepost=1485028298,1485027911][/doublepost]

Hey, wait. You added another ingredient to the recipe! Heh, anyway, I'll probably go with what you suggested first.

Water, Deathweed, Nightcrawler, Doublecod, and either Journeyman or Apprentice Bait (I mean I'll pick one not have both as an option). The last bit I'll give some careful thought to. I keep feeling like the Apprentice bait in my inventory goes to waste so I thought I'd choose it to give it some kind of use.
Really looking forward to the new system then , as I only play expert

Okay, just so everyone knows...

When I first started adding modded potions to this, it was fine. Hey, here's ThoriumMod and it adds some potions that stack with original potions. I can let them effects stack in solidified form as well. That's fine, right?

Then Prefixes for Enemies was added. Huh, a little bit overlap with Thoirum. But hey, a lot of these are conditional. That's cool. I'll put them in.

Then Khaelis' potions. There's starting to be a quite bit of overlap. What do I do about this?

And now Crystilium... It was the straw.

One of these by themselves is fine. But naturally, they don't take each other into account. And when you add them all together plus solidified-stacking, etc. It's just crazy.

So I'm going to have to change how the system works again... as you add more and more effects that overlap the additions will get reduced. Now I have to figure out how to display it on a tooltip... /sigh

This might be one of the things that becomes more relaxed in Expert mode along with other modifications.

Okay, just so everyone knows...

When I first started adding modded potions to this, it was fine. Hey, here's ThoriumMod and it adds some potions that stack with original potions. I can let them effects stack in solidified form as well. That's fine, right?

Then Prefixes for Enemies was added. Huh, a little bit overlap with Thoirum. But hey, a lot of these are conditional. That's cool. I'll put them in.

Then Khaelis' potions. There's starting to be a quite bit of overlap. What do I do about this?

And now Crystilium... It was the straw.

One of these by themselves is fine. But naturally, they don't take each other into account. And when you add them all together plus solidified-stacking, etc. It's just crazy.

So I'm going to have to change how the system works again... as you add more and more effects that overlap the additions will get reduced. Now I have to figure out how to display it on a tooltip... /sigh

This might be one of the things that becomes more relaxed in Expert mode along with other modifications.
pleas make such a must as it being relaxed not as a expert only feature

Phooey, you noticed! Yeah, added Waterbloom cause I always forget that's a herb. You don't really use them much. Why I tried to use them more in my own mod before I 'discontinued' it. XD

You could probably just stick with the Apprentice bait, cause its just like you said.. they just seem to go to waste or get trashed.

Phooey, you noticed! Yeah, added Waterbloom cause I always forget that's a herb. You don't really use them much. Why I tried to use them more in my own mod before I 'discontinued' it. XD

You could probably just stick with the Apprentice bait, cause its just like you said.. they just seem to go to waste or get trashed.

I'll try to use Waterleaf in the next potion I create.:merchantgrin:

I'll try to use Waterleaf in the next potion I create.:merchantgrin:

That's great! You'd be surprised how little it's used. Only used in Fishing Potion, Flipper Potion, Gills Potion, Lifeforce Potion, Sonar Potion and Obsidian Skin Potion. And let's be honest, not many people make Flipper Potions, Gills Potions and Sonar Potions (questionable, but I personally never really make em'). X)

Edit: Whoops, forgot Waterwalking Potion... XD

@updatedude I classify myself as a fourth category: Legit, like OP, want a balance to the path of OP (buffs start easy, OP is a challenge and a half to get, so GL), have cheat sheet because I inevitably find bugs that kill my items ( @dtim can attest to this because bugs) and I really don't want to make them all over AGAIN. Because bug.
[doublepost=1485043672,1485043624][/doublepost]OI. Don't you go starting with the waterleaf!

D: I currently hate that :red:ing plant because I can't grind it at ALL (and now I have none)

Would you consider releasing which potions belong to which categories? Or maybe adding a crafting preview to see what the result will be before combining two potions? It is kinda frustrating catching 30+ fish for something only to have it combine into a weird potion when you mean to keep it a single type. I know I could get something like cheat sheet to experiment, but I'd rather not have to use it. Loving the mod though otherwise!

Would you consider releasing which potions belong to which categories? Or maybe adding a crafting preview to see what the result will be before combining two potions? It is kinda frustrating catching 30+ fish for something only to have it combine into a weird potion when you mean to keep it a single type. I know I could get something like cheat sheet to experiment, but I'd rather not have to use it. Loving the mod though otherwise!

I'll think about how to do this in-game.

Edit: out of curiosity which combination didn't work like you expected?

Last edited:
That would be awesome. Granted I have no idea how hard it would be to code, but I was imagining putting a third square on the alchemy table UI that preview the resulting combination of the two placed potions.

That would be awesome. Granted I have no idea how hard it would be to code, but I was imagining putting a third square on the alchemy table UI that preview the resulting combination of the two placed potions.

Nah, I'm pretty sure I could just make the outcome appear on the mouse cursor and display the tooltip. I'm just not sure I want to make it that easy...:merchantwink:

@updatedude I classify myself as a fourth category: Legit, like OP, want a balance to the path of OP (buffs start easy, OP is a challenge and a half to get, so GL), have cheat sheet because I inevitably find bugs that kill my items ( @dtim can attest to this because bugs) and I really don't want to make them all over AGAIN. Because bug.

Probably closer to the first type I was mentioning. Legit and like OP, and willing to work for it. If you worked for it, then yeah, you totally deserve to be OP.

I can see the path to being OP being balanced, my beef is when peeps want to nerf mods to the point where you can't be OP at all.

Back
Top Bottom