Items Some way to uncraft smelted bars back into ores

firecat666

Terrarian
Probably by throwing them in Shimmer, since uncrafting seems to be a theme there, or maybe using the Chlorophyte Extractinator.

Last edited:
NO, please do not add this. If you need ore though you can degrade any ore of a higher tier, such as chlorophyte/luminite which are both renewable plus all the ores can be obtained from crates

If you need ore though you can degrade any ore of a higher tier, such as chlorophyte/luminite which are both renewable
Yeah, you can do this via Shimmer if you have a surplus amount of higher tier ores you no longer need.

plus all the ores can be obtained from crates
This is a valid point, too. Especially if fishing for crates happens to be a hobby or good way to kill time.

Don't forget ores can easily be obtained via (Chlorophyte) Extractinator using Silt, Slush and Desert Fossil blocks.

In short, and I'll be blunt, I don't think this warrants its own thread as ores are hilariously easy to get. Just don't be lazy; everything requires some minimum effort. Especially in non-Journey Mode worlds.

Yeah, you can do this via Shimmer if you have a surplus amount of higher tier ores you no longer need.

This is a valid point, too. Especially if fishing for crates happens to be a hobby or good way to kill time.

Don't forget ores can easily be obtained via (Chlorophyte) Extractinator using Silt, Slush and Desert Fossil blocks.

In short, and I'll be blunt, I don't think this warrants its own thread as ores are hilariously easy to get. Just don't be lazy; everything requires some minimum effort. Especially in non-Journey Mode worlds.
I'm lazy and I play Journey Mode already, so I'm not suggesting this for myself.

What I had in mind was saving some space in chests and whatnot by uncrafting bars into ores if, for example, you get a bunch via fishing and no longer have any use for them. You can do this by uncrafting bars into ores but not by crafting ores into bars, since you might end up with some leftovers. Also, ores can be used to craft bricks for building whereas bars don't really have any use after you crafted all the gear (I think).

Wait, it doesn't do it already?
Not according the wiki, though I never actually tried tossing a bar in shimmer/extractinator.

NO, please do not add this. If you need ore though you can degrade any ore of a higher tier, such as chlorophyte/luminite which are both renewable plus all the ores can be obtained from crates
By the way, could you guys clarify why this would be a bad thing? For a lazy person who doesn't remember anymore what it feels like to not play in Journey Mode.

By the way, could you guys clarify why this would be a bad thing? For a lazy person who doesn't remember anymore what it feels like to not play in Journey Mode.
I just hate suggestions that make the game unnecessarily easier, like MAKING THE MOON LORD DROP TWO WEAPONS just as a hypothetical example. Im sure relogic would never actually add that, right? Ha, imagine... or making the sigil only take 12 seconds instead of 60. Ridiculous, or decreasing the balanced sigil recipe that takes 20 fragments to something like 12

I just hate suggestions that make the game unnecessarily easier, like MAKING THE MOON LORD DROP TWO WEAPONS just as a hypothetical example. Im sure relogic would never actually add that, right? Ha, imagine... or making the sigil only take 12 seconds instead of 60. Ridiculous, or decreasing the balanced sigil recipe that takes 20 fragments to something like 12
Hmm, I wasn't really thinking about making anything easier, just more convenient. I mean, it's not like you could abuse this to skip any steps in progression since you need the bars to craft the important stuff, not the ores. If you like to conflate convenience with ease, that's your choice, but I think most people distinguish between the two. Having played this game since 1.0, I like it when the devs make certain grindy aspects of the game less grindy, although my suggestion would just have a minor effect on that, I believe.

By the way, I agree with you that the whole package of Moon Lord changes were a bit overkill, maybe two or even just one of those changes would have been fine. Part of the challenge of getting all the Moon Lord weapons is going through the whole fight multiple times, first with just good enough gear and then better and better gear as one gets Moon Lord weapons and crafts the final armour sets. Maybe what the devs really wanted was to make the Pillars event more fun and engaging but they couldn't come up with anything so they just made it so you don't have to do it as many times to farm the Moon Lord.

It is disrespectful behavior to tell someone else to delete their post because you don't agree with it.
I never actually tried tossing a bar in shimmer/extractinator.
You are making a huge mistake sir. You should never make a suggestion about something you don't know if it's in the game. Delete this post, please.
Because, if you didn't even test if it exists, then why are you complaining about it not being in the game? This is totally illogical.

You are making a huge mistake sir. You should never make a suggestion about something you don't know if it's in the game. Delete this post, please.
Because, if you didn't even test if it exists, then why are you complaining about it not being in the game? This is totally illogical.
I said I checked the wiki, what else do you want me to do? If we were discussing the shape of the Earth would you I suggest I must hop in a boat or airplane and sail or fly everywhere before I'm allowed to make a definitive statement about it?

And what about you, did YOU check anything before saying my suggestion is already in the game and should be ignored? Because if you did and it is, then I suggest you go to the wiki and edit every relevant page so they have accurate information, including but not limited to: the Shimmer/Extractinator page, all the pages for metal bars and the 1.4.4 changelog or whichever version introduced this feature.

I said I checked the wiki, what else do you want me to do? If we were discussing the shape of the Earth would you I suggest I must hop in a boat or airplane and sail or fly everywhere before I'm allowed to make a definitive statement about it?

And what about you, did YOU check anything before saying my suggestion is already in the game and should be ignored? Because if you did and it is, then I suggest you go to the wiki and edit every relevant page so they have accurate information, including but not limited to: the Shimmer/Extractinator page, all the pages for metal bars and the 1.4.4 changelog or whichever version introduced this feature.
Hey friendo, occasional wiki contributor here! If you go to the Shimmer page on the Official Terraria Wiki (not the dead Fandom Wiki) you will find at the beginning of the article that Shimmer “Transforms crafted items back into their crafting materials.” Metal bars are obviously crafted items so Shimmer will decraft them back into ore.

Also part of editing the wiki is making things informative while keeping things concise and not bloating articles with excess info. Their is no way written info about uncrafting can be included on every page without breaking this general rule.

Anyways, have a lovely day!:dryadhappy:

Last edited:
Hey friendo, occasional wiki contributor here! If you had gone to the Shimmer page on the Official Terraria Wiki (not the dead Fandom Wiki) you would have found at the beginning of the article that Shimmer “Transforms crafted items back into their crafting materials.” Metal bars are obviously crafted items so Shimmer will decraft them back into ore. In the future make sure you do a little bit more research on the Official Terraria Wiki (once again not the fandom wiki) or test in game before suggesting features or asking for help.

Also part of editing the wiki is making things informative while keeping things concise and not bloating articles with excess info. Their is no way written info about uncrafting can be included on every page without breaking this general rule.

Anyways, have a lovely day!:dryadhappy:
Well, thank you for clearing it up. I've only ever used it to transform items and I've only ever seen people use it to uncraft equipment, so it didn't occur to me that it actually uncrafts anything, much less with people arguing that my suggestion would be a bad idea.

The thing is that you can't just believe ALL THE TIME in the wiki. It is sometimes lacking content or is not up to date. That's why I say that people should TEST first before suggesting something, saving time from yourself and from others, ok? It is exactly like when you find a bug in the game: there are things that you only find in practice, and not in theory (the wiki). And when you find that bug you report it to the Devs, since you SAW it with your eyes, and didn't read in the wiki that there is such bug, ok?

And about your example of the shape of earth, it is not a good example. I just wanted you to understand my train of thought.

Those Moon Lord changes are reducing tedium and wasted time more than anything. You still have to actually beat the boss, the cultist, the pillars. You have to be able to handle the actual battles which is the hard part. Requiring more time or resources literally just make the exact thing take longer. That is what's known as "artificial difficulty" and is generally considered bad game design.

Back
Top Bottom