Game Mechanics Some weapons that are in need of NERFS!

Scribbles782

Spazmatism
Okay, I'm just gonna mention this right off the bat- I don't know if this is in the right section. If it isn't then I'm sure a nice moderator will fix it! :D

But there are very few major balancing issues in Terraria (*cough cough* GOLEM *cough cough*) because the Terraria team is full of geniuses! But there are quite a few minor balancing issues, and here are some of them- (In top 5 order, because WHY NOT?)

Honorable mentions- There are a few weapons that just didn't make the list for a few various reasons, and i will talk about them for just a bit-
- Stardust Dragon Staff- This can be EXTREMELY OP, but this is only with really good summoning armor/accessories, which will lower your defense, so that kind of balances it out.
- Last Prism- I was gonna put it as #1 on the list because of how it tears everything to SHREDS, but it doesn't make the list because that is simply because it is the best Moon Lord drop (IMO) and there will always be a favorite weapon drop.
- Arkhalis- This was also going to be in the list, but it is extremely rare and it is hard to find the Shrines in general early game. So this isn't on the list.

5. Vampire Knives-
I really don't want to say this, because I LOVE the Vampire knives! But they still need a bit of a nerf, although *this* has already happened- (1.2.0.3: Attack speed (12 now 16), damage (35 now 29), knockback (3.5% now 2.75%) and life return (10% now 7.5%) have all been reduced.) (Taken from http://terraria.wiki.gg/Vampire_Knives) But even though there was already this pretty MASSIVE nerf, they are still OP as FUDGE. So I think that the damage should simply be reduced to 26 and the lifesteal should be reduced to 6.5%, but as slight compensation, the range should have a few blocks added.

4. The Bees Knees/Beenades-
I put these in the same category because they are both dropped by the Queen Bee and are both equally OP. You can take down the expert mode Wall of Flesh with absolute EASE with these weapons alone. I think that the damage of the bees should be reduced and the amount should be reduced by quite a bit. And just a side note- The Bee Gun sucks and needs a buff.

3. Onyx Blaster-
Yeah, I know that this was just recently added, but this is quite OP for something that can be gotten in very early hardmode. I even watched a youtuber (By the name of Happy Days) use it for a short time while fighting Golem in a gunslinger playthrough! And it was doing DECENT DAMAGE! I think that the damage should simply be nerfed from 28 to 24 and maybe require a slightly more difficult crafting recipe. (Perhaps Illegal Gun Parts?)

2. Fetid Baghnakhs-
So these, the Vampire Knives, and the BoC are the 3 reasons that I prefer Crimson over Corruption. But they are in need of a MAJOR nerf. These can (theoretically) be obtained under 20 minutes into Hardmode. That is WAY too early to be getting something this OP! I have these slots in my inventory where put my 4 best weapons of each class, so I can change it depending on my mood. For melee, I have the Terrarian, the Meowmere, the Star Wrath, and I want to decide between the Flairon and the Fetid Baghnakhs. If I am deciding between an almost END-GAME weapon and an EARLY HARDMODE weapon, I think that there is a slight issue. (I went for the Flairon for the increased range). Since the speed is what they're known for, that can stay the same. But the damage should be changed from 70 to 50 and they should have a knockback of 3.

1. The Daedalus Stormbow!-
OMG. This is, hands down, the most OP, INSANE weapon of it's tier. The Fetid Baghnakhs do have higher DPS, but at least they have such a short range! And this bow with Holy Arrows, just omfg. You will TEAR APART the Mech bosses, and if you're doing a vanilla archer playthrough, then you are almost definitely going to use it for Plantera rather than the Chlorophyte Shotbow. (I just think it's better.) And even if you don't, it is several tiers before Chlorophyte, and they are both comparable in power. I DEFINITELY think it should be nerfed like the Vampire Knives were, but worse. I want the damage to be reduced from 43 to 37, I want the speed to be changed from 18 to 16, and I want Holy Arrows as a WHOLE to be nerfed from 13 to 8.

Okay, so I could ramble on about OP weapons/items for HOURS, but I just decided to make this top 5. This was actually kind of fun! Leave a reply if you liked this then I can do more top 5's for OP/UP items/weapons! :D If anything should be switched, please let me know with an old fashioned reply, and I'll see ya later! :)

Last edited:
The fetid whatevers have such a low range that its not like they're actually that useful. I agree with everything else though.

Where is the Spirit Flame?
And the Bees Knee and Beenades, I disagree, I believe they should get a buff or a rework,
because the way they are currently, like other bee weapons, they are not worth using.

Okay, I'm just gonna mention this right off the bat- I don't know if this is in the right section. If it isn't then I'm sure a nice moderator will fix it! :D

But there are very few major balancing issues in Terraria (*cough cough* GOLEM *cough cough*) because the Terraria team is full of geniuses! But there are quite a few minor balancing issues, and here are some of them- (In top 5 order, because WHY NOT?)

Honorable mentions- There are a few weapons that just didn't make the list for a few various reasons, and i will talk about them for just a bit-
- Stardust Dragon Staff- This can be EXTREMELY OP, but this is only with really good summoning armor/accessories, which will lower your defense, so that kind of balances it out.
- Last Prism- I was gonna put it as #1 on the list because of how it tears everything to SHREDS, but it doesn't make the list because that is simply because it is the best Moon Lord drop (IMO) and there will always be a favorite weapon drop.
- Arkhalis- This was also going to be in the list, but it is extremely rare and it is hard to find the Shrines in general early game. So this isn't on the list.

5. Vampire Knives-
I really don't want to say this, because I LOVE the Vampire knives! But they still need a bit of a nerf, although *this* has already happened- (1.2.0.3: Attack speed (12 now 16), damage (35 now 29), knockback (3.5% now 2.75%) and life return (10% now 7.5%) have all been reduced.) (Taken from http://terraria.wiki.gg/Vampire_Knives) But even though there was already this pretty MASSIVE nerf, they are still OP as FUDGE. So I think that the damage should simply be reduced to 26 and the lifesteal should be reduced to 6.5%, but as slight compensation, the range should have a few blocks added.

4. The Bees Knees/Beenades-
I put these in the same category because they are both dropped by the Queen Bee and are both equally OP. You can take down the expert mode Wall of Flesh with absolute EASE with these weapons alone. I think that the damage of the bees should be reduced and the amount should be reduced by quite a bit. And just a side note- The Bee Gun sucks and needs a buff.

3. Onyx Blaster-
Yeah, I know that this was just recently added, but this is quite OP for something that can be gotten in relatively early hardmode. I think that the damage should simply be nerfed from 28 to 24 and maybe require a slightly more difficult crafting recipe. (Perhaps Illegal Gun Parts?)

2. Fetid Baghnakhs-
So these, the Vampire Knives, and the BoC are the 3 reasons that I prefer Crimson over Corruption. But they are in need of a MAJOR nerf. These can (theoretically) be obtained under 20 minutes into Hardmode. That is WAY too early to be getting something this OP! I have these slots in my inventory where put my 4 best weapons of each class, so I can change it depending on my mood. For melee, I have the Terrarian, the Meowmere, the Star Wrath, and I want to decide between the Flairon and the Fetid Baghnakhs. If I am deciding between an almost END-GAME weapon and an EARLY HARDMODE weapon, I think that there is a slight issue. (I went for the Flairon for the increased range). Since the speed is what they're known for, that can stay the same. But the damage should be changed from 70 to 50 and they should have a knockback of 3.

1. The Daedalus Stormbow!-
OMG. This is, hands down, the most OP, INSANE weapon of it's tier. The Fetid Baghnakhs do have higher DPS, but at least they have such a short range! And this bow with Holy Arrows, just omfg. You will TEAR APART the Mech bosses, and if you're doing a vanilla archer playthrough, then you are almost definitely going to use it for Plantera rather than the Chlorophyte Shotbow. (I just think it's better.) And even if you don't, it is several tiers before Chlorophyte, and they are both comparable in power. I DEFINITELY think it should be nerfed like the Vampire Knives were, but worse. I want the damage to be reduced from 43 to 37, I want the speed to be changed from 18 to 16, and I want Holy Arrows as a WHOLE to be nerfed from 13 to 8.

Okay, so I could ramble on about OP weapons/items for HOURS, but I just decided to make this top 5. This was actually kind of fun! Leave a reply if you liked this then I can do more top 5's for OP/UP items/weapons! :D If anything should be switched, please let me know with an old fashioned reply, and I'll see ya later! :)

[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
The fetid whatevers have such a low range that its not like they're actually that useful. I agree with everything else though.
"Fetid whatevers" XD Well the DPS makes up fr the short range BIG TIME! But maybe a bit too much... That's why it needs the nerf!
[doublepost=1476590134,1476590028][/doublepost]
Where is the Spirit Flame?
And the Bees Knee and Beenades, I disagree, I believe they should get a buff or a rework,
because the way they are currently, like other bee weapons, they are not worth using.
Have you ever USED the Beenades or Bee's Knees pre-hardmode? They can take you through pre-hardmode in the blink of an eye. And I haven't used the Spirit Flame enough to know how OP it is, but I will check. :)

Have you ever USED the Beenades or Bee's Knees pre-hardmode? They can take you through pre-hardmode in the blink of an eye. And I haven't used the Spirit Flame enough to know how OP it is, but I will check. :)
Actually have, I find the bee's knees ok, beside the special bow found in the underworld needs a buffing.
The beenades I've found annoying instead of op, even more because the bees avoids other projectiles you shoot to hit the enemy.

Actually have, I find the bee's knees ok, beside the special bow found in the underworld needs a buffing.
The beenades I've found annoying instead of op, even more because the bees avoids other projectiles you shoot to hit the enemy.
Well either way, against bosses (Especially the Wall of Flesh) the Beenades are INSANE! I just want you to go into a world, and see how fast you can kill the Wall of Flesh using 100 Beenades and the Bees Knees with wooden arrows. That'll prove my point! :p

Well either way, against bosses (Especially the Wall of Flesh) the Beenades are INSANE! I just want you to go into a world, and see how fast you can kill the Wall of Flesh using 100 Beenades and the Bees Knees with wooden arrows. That'll prove my point! :p
The same can also be said about the Demon Scythe book, also the Gatligator if weren't a hardmode weapon.

The same can also be said about the Demon Scythe book, also the Gatligator if weren't a hardmode weapon.
Well I guess you're right with the Demon Scythe... And the Gatligator, it is Early Hardmode, but it is so rare that it is almost never gotten when it's supposed to. I played an entire Gunslinger playthrough, and I NEVER got a Gatligator, and it is SO rare in fact, that I often forget that it exists. So it pretty much doesn't even count at this point... And also, you PERFECTLY proved my point. The Gatligator is Hardmode, and the Bee weapons can be gotten pretty early mid-prehardmode.

Well I guess you're right with the Demon Scythe... And the Gatligator, it is Early Hardmode, but it is so rare that it is almost never gotten when it's supposed to. I played an entire Gunslinger playthrough, and I NEVER got a Gatligator, and it is SO rare in fact, that I often forget that it exists. So it pretty much doesn't even count at this point... And also, you PERFECTLY proved my point. The Gatligator is Hardmode, and the Bee weapons can be gotten pretty early mid-prehardmode.
Actually, due to being obtained by the Queen Bee, and the Dungeon being optional on pre-hardmode, the Bee's Knee can be said that is acquired on end pre-hardmode.

Actually, due to being obtained by the Queen Bee, and the Dungeon being optional on pre-hardmode, the Bee's Knee can be said that is acquired on end pre-hardmode.
Well if you try hard enough and prepare enough, then you can easily take down the queen bee right after the Eye of Cthulu and BoC/EoW, making it so that you can get it around mid-prehardmode. Any why are we still arguing about this anyways? XD

Well if you try hard enough and prepare enough, then you can easily take down the queen bee right after the Eye of Cthulu and BoC/EoW, making it so that you can get it around mid-prehardmode. Any why are we still arguing about this anyways? XD
Because we have different points.
Any way, I'll let the topic move on, or we'll stay into this for weeks.

5. Vampire knives are nerved down by insane amounts already, it's not that decent in DPS anymore as it used to be.
4. If you can beat the WoF with the bees knees, good job on that, Beenades might need a nerf on that. although you can't get mass amounts of it easily.
3. The Golem is rather weak in general, I havn't used this gun yet, so I can't really say my opinion about.
2. Using a pure melee weapon gives a great risk if it'll be nerved, then what would be the point of getting it? for the effort spend to kill an evil biome chest, I find it worthful to be rewarded with.
1. The stormbow is only really useful on the surface (although most of the endgame plays on the surface though) I'm not really fond of the weapon in general means, all it can do is to hit big targets on the surface. I would replace it with the Chlorophyte shotbow once available. Therefore, once again, for the effort spend to kill an evil biome chest, I find it worthful to be rewarded with.

In means of Last Prism, it's endgame, there aren't really any challenges left once obtained, so I don't mind having an overpowerful weapon then.

Vampire Knives do incredibly low damage in Expert mode and anything that lifesteal does for you there can be done better by stacking HP regeneration with a Worm Scarf. Also, you can't use lifesteal on the Moon Lord anymore, so that's moot.

Beenades require extensive farming to have usable amounts.

I haven't used Onyx Blaster so I can't comment on that, but every 1.3 weapon has been above the power curve anyway.

Baghnakhs are only good against targets that don't move much and require a very specific build to truly shine. They're better in multiplayer than singleplayer, and if you aren't doing world hopping they prevent you from getting Worm Scarf.

Stormbow isn't the problem, Holy Arrows are.

5. Vampire knives are nerved down by insane amounts already, it's not that decent in DPS anymore as it used to be.
4. If you can beat the WoF with the bees knees, good job on that, Beenades might need a nerf on that. although you can't get mass amounts of it easily.
3. The Golem is rather weak in general, I havn't used this gun yet, so I can't really say my opinion about.
2. Using a pure melee weapon gives a great risk if it'll be nerved, then what would be the point of getting it? for the effort spend to kill an evil biome chest, I find it worthful to be rewarded with.
1. The stormbow is only really useful on the surface (although most of the endgame plays on the surface though) I'm not really fond of the weapon in general means, all it can do is to hit big targets on the surface. I would replace it with the Chlorophyte shotbow once available. Therefore, once again, for the effort spend to kill an evil biome chest, I find it worthful to be rewarded with.

In means of Last Prism, it's endgame, there aren't really any challenges left once obtained, so I don't mind having an overpowerful weapon then.
Well for the beenades, you only have to kill like 2 Queen Bees to get PLENTY to kill the WoF, that's how good they are. And with the Fetid things, well if you are rewarded with something like this for killing the Evil Mimics, then why is almost everything else that you get from them way less powerful? Like the Putrid Scent, The Crystal Vile Shard, and the Hooks? Those are terrible! And for the Stormbow, it's just the fact that you can kill the Mech bosses SO easily, it's almost not even fun. You just sit there for a few seconds holding left click and they're dead. And finally, for the Last Prism, EXACTLY! That's part of the reason that it's not actually on the list! But it's just because it outclasses pretty much all of the other Moon Lord drops.

V-Knives don't require a nerf. They have low damage to begin with and aren't useful until they're reforged to Godly and you have a few damage boosting accessories. Then you might be able to bring them up to a more respectable 50-60 damage. Even then, you have access to weapons that can do quadruple that, so V-Knives are one of the slowest weapons for killing bosses at their tier. They're also ineffective for anything post-Plantera, which fits with when you can obtain them. (Except the Lunatic Cultist, but that 'boss' is a joke.)

Although I've not used the Daedalus Stormbow, I wonder about it. Pick any thread that says "I can't defeat X in hardmode, help!" and there's a good chance someone has said to use the Stormbow.

Not a focal point of the thread, but I'm curious as to how you think the Stardust Dragon is OP. Its damage isn't all that great unless you have multiple segments. Multiple segments requires multiple summons, which reduces your opportunity for other accessories/armour/summons. Stardust Dragon also has a bad habit of getting tied up with an enemy far away from you while something closer attacks you. You're better off combining Stardust Dragon with a minion that floats closer to you, such as the Stardust Cell.
And the Dragon kills my shiny critters! :(

V-Knives don't require a nerf. They have low damage to begin with and aren't useful until they're reforged to Godly and you have a few damage boosting accessories. Then you might be able to bring them up to a more respectable 50-60 damage. Even then, you have access to weapons that can do quadruple that, so V-Knives are one of the slowest weapons for killing bosses at their tier. They're also ineffective for anything post-Plantera, which fits with when you can obtain them. (Except the Lunatic Cultist, but that 'boss' is a joke.)

Although I've not used the Daedalus Stormbow, I wonder about it. Pick any thread that says "I can't defeat X in hardmode, help!" and there's a good chance someone has said to use the Stormbow.

Not a focal point of the thread, but I'm curious as to how you think the Stardust Dragon is OP. Its damage isn't all that great unless you have multiple segments. Multiple segments requires multiple summons, which reduces your opportunity for other accessories/armour/summons. Stardust Dragon also has a bad habit of getting tied up with an enemy far away from you while something closer attacks you. You're better off combining Stardust Dragon with a minion that floats closer to you, such as the Stardust Cell.
And the Dragon kills my shiny critters! :(
In regards to the Stardust Dragon, that is EXACTLY what I said. That's the reason that it's in the Honorable Mentions. It only is so powerful when you have all of the insane accessories and armor, then it instakills everything, which is why it's not on the actual list. Did you even read the entry?

In regards to the Stardust Dragon, that is EXACTLY what I said. That's the reason that it's in the Honorable Mentions. It only is so powerful when you have all of the insane accessories and armor, then it instakills everything, which is why it's not on the actual list. Did you even read the entry?

Yes, I did "even read the entry".
Stardust Dragon Staff- This can be EXTREMELY OP, but this is only with really good summoning armor/accessories, which will lower your defense, so that kind of balances it out.
You made no mention of multiple segments, alternative summons or how the Dragon can get tied up elsewhere, all of which I mentioned. You also made no mention of how it kills critters, but maybe that's just my personal gripe that prevents me using it seriously. :)

Yes, I did "even read the entry".

You made no mention of multiple segments, alternative summons or how the Dragon can get tied up elsewhere, all of which I mentioned. You also made no mention of how it kills critters, but maybe that's just my personal gripe that prevents me using it seriously. :)
I think I implied that the Stardust Dragon needs multiple segments by saying how much equipment it needs. And for the critters, when I see that there is a Gold critter nearby, I either don't have a bug net, or I disable the dragon.

I agree with Onyx Blaster and beenades are a bit strong but still ok. The other weapons you can only use in specific situations. There are also player preferences and about 5678 other weapons you can gather. They are only op for a short time in game process. Non of these are op after the Moon Lord.

Vampire Knives do incredibly low damage in Expert mode and anything that lifesteal does for you there can be done better by stacking HP regeneration with a Worm Scarf. Also, you can't use lifesteal on the Moon Lord anymore, so that's moot.

Beenades require extensive farming to have usable amounts.

I haven't used Onyx Blaster so I can't comment on that, but every 1.3 weapon has been above the power curve anyway.

Baghnakhs are only good against targets that don't move much and require a very specific build to truly shine. They're better in multiplayer than singleplayer, and if you aren't doing world hopping they prevent you from getting Worm Scarf.

Stormbow isn't the problem, Holy Arrows are.
Everything does low damage in expert mode XD
(Except the last prism, my precious.)
And the vampire knives' lifesteal still outranks greater healing potions and regen

Two kills of the queen bee is all that's required to have enough for the WoF, especially now that you can craft more with beeswax.

Agreed.

True, but with that build they can defeat plantera in a few seconds, so it's a little more than worth it.

Also agreed.

Back
Top Bottom