Game Mechanics Some weapons that are in need of NERFS!

HECK yeah, i totally agree with essentially everything but the onyx blaster. the speed and lack of autouse, i feel, makes up for its power. as for the vampire knives, guys, there's no need to complain about the "low damage", as they are not intended to be a high damage weapon(despite outstripping almost all other melee weapons at that tier) but a method of healing in combat, which is not normally possible as taking damage drastically lowers life regen. also, the listed damage is low, but when you combine that with ichor, a sharpening station, a rage potion, a good modifier, and a set of melee armor, they can easily outstrip 1000 DPS.

as for the fetid bagnakhs, i agree they should be nerfed, specifically damage wise. i can eviscerate plantera by using them, turtle armor, ichor, and feral claws. and that's without moving.
Daedalus stormbow definitely needs a nerf, but i think the speed should be slightly nerfed rather than the damage, as holy arrows are the main problem here. as for holy arrows, i think their damage should definitely be reduced.
the tsunami is something that i think needs a major nerf seeing as it has 5 times the DPS of other bows, fast speed, and autofire. the main problem, i think, with shotbows is that, unlike shotguns, they don't have a speed reduction to balance out their extra projectiles. this is a mistake.

Since I am here I'll address the honorable mentions while I'm at it.
Stardust Dragon and Last Prism need not even be listed. They are the highest tier weapon from the very end of the game. Of course they are powerful, they are the best the game has. If you rip through everything else, so what, anything you would be killing is obsolete anyway. Would be like claiming Ultima Weapon is OP in final fantasy.

As for the Arkhalis, I see no reason to change it. As noted by scribbles it really is too rare to matter. First you need a shrine then you have a 33% chance of anything and a 10% chance of this weapon. At an overall 3.3% chance of a rare world gen set piece, finding one should be worthwhile.

5 - Vampire Knives
Frankly these shouldn't exist. The creation of Vampire Knives and Spectre Armor healing wildly changed the game. Everything after their creation was balanced to the healing they provide which in turn lead to making other forms of combat harder to use. (See Moon events.) It has slightly balanced out now, but even moon lord has anti healing measures. Something that would be altogether unnecessary without them. That said, since the rest of the game is balanced to Vampire Knives and Spectre they can't afford a nerf. There are many tangent arguments that can be made for the level of necessity. None the less as long as later content considers them for balance, any change to them would require a rebalance to that content.

4 - Bee items
As far as I see it Bees Knees and Beenades are just alternates to the mini shark. (Which also makes quick work of Expert WoF) An argument could be made that Bees Knees is better than Molten which should be the best in normal mode. Except it drops from a boss, which grants a slightly higher allowance for power. (Besides, mini shark is simply purchased) Given both are rendered near obsolete the moment hardmode starts, a change is unnecessary.

3 - Onyx Blaster
Ill be honest I have little experience with this weapon but, before calling for a nerf, consider the other weapons in its class the Dao of Pow and the Sky Fracture. Given that it is ranged I think if anything is being said here it is ranged in general is better than magic or melee. Not that Onyx Blaster is OP.

2 - Fetid Baghnakhs
These I have recently been acquainted with and as mentioned in the original post they are yet another example of how Crimson is superior to Corrupt. As a result like with the Onyx blaster I feel it is more appropriate to say Crimson is overpowered rather than the Baghnakhs. (The two versions of the darkness have been unbalanced for a long time.) What comes next partially applies to the final item too. The Biome Mimics are designed to be powerful early hardmode gear, yet challenging to obtain. Much like how in 1.1 Magic Dagger, Cross Necklace and Titan Glove were irreplaceable even after the Mech bosses. In fact, Cross Necklace is arguably a staple up to Moon Lord. That and the Titan Glove is used in several higher level melee accessories. Finally, the Baghnakhs shine brightest when used in a very specific set up. So between the super short range, (In a Terraria where even melee has projectiles) a biome specific version of possibly the hardest non boss enemy in the game, and a specialized set up to get decent results. Fetid Baghnakhs are fine as they are.

1 - Daedalus Stormbow
Like above, this weapon comes from a biome specific mimic. So I won't repeat myself as to why the drops deserve to be more powerful than some counterparts. As noted in the original post, Holy Arrows are a key to its power. In early hardmode it is a pain to farm these, especially enough to deal with most threats. The other problem is the wide area of effect the bow fires. Sure this is great for large targets such as bosses and invasions but, it has little use else where. So to get this bow functioning you need, to find a rare enemy in the hallow, defeat it, get a 20% drop, farm hallowed surface. Yes it could be said you could find it 20 minutes into hardmode but, it will more likely take hours. For that matter many player resort to "building" the mimics which takes even longer. Plus, I'm going to guess that the average terraria player will struggle to kill these mimics early hardmode. The game should never be balanced towards expert players. IF anything, the best fix I see to "nerf" the weapons is to remove the ability to force spawn the mimics rather than alter the weapon. (Thereby artificially reducing drop rate.)

Before I go, I understand this is a top 5 list based on Scribbles opinion. Were this a youtube video I wouldn't say a thing. However, it is being presented as a suggestion to the devs to nerf these items, which is why I felt the need to step in and say something. Having played the game since 1.1 and watching each new update I can say that nerfs generally only make things worse. When you take away something people rely on they find a new, sometimes more effective method to get what they want done. (Many powerful bugs and glitches have been exploited for this reason. Most of which wouldn't be in the average players eye if another less dramatic method had not be nerfed.) I have said it before I will say it again, players choose their challenge. Experts do not need to rely on exploits and therefore won't, but a player struggling because the game was balanced to be too hard for them will. (See spike nerf.) Does one player using a spike to beat something they can't otherwise hurt the moderates/experts? No, not in any way, shape or form. (However, if the developers start seeing experts taking advantage of something it means they did a poor job balancing. Not that the mechanic needs to be nerfed.) Therefore I am opposed to any nerfs that are not completely necessary, to which these are included.

The point of this thread seems to be misunderstanding the meaning of OP. For a weapon to be op and require a nerf it needs to trivialize content accessible after its availability compared to other gear available. (i.e. 1.2 Spectre Armor)

None of these items with possible exception of The Daedalus Stormbow versus the mechs are even close to reaching that tier of success. However the weapon is quite lackluster without the proper arrows(AOE non piercing arrows) and use on the surface or other sufficiently open area.
Otherwise it is laughable to even bring up nerfing other weapons with possible exception of Beenades(which notably come with the consequences of lacking a good weapon viable in hardmode.

For instance while the Fetid Baghnakhs are very powerful they have no range meaning you must be in the enemies face to use them. The whole point of them is to Out DPS the enemy or die they are very high risk high reward intentionally.

Vampire knives are already so nerfed that using them is only fr the heal and comes at the cost of damage in any and all regards so I would say they are finally working as intended any other post Plantera weapon will and should outperform them (though the Keybrand is kinda bad...)

So no I can not support this.

I agree with Onyx Blaster and beenades are a bit strong but still ok. The other weapons you can only use in specific situations. There are also player preferences and about 5678 other weapons you can gather. They are only op for a short time in game process. Non of these are op after the Moon Lord.
Well they are not supposed to be OP after the Moon Lord, just when you get them. Literally nothing is OP after the Moon Lord, because that is the last thing you fight. (Unless it takes you until after the Moon Lord to kill Betsy, that is...)

The point of this thread seems to be misunderstanding the meaning of OP. For a weapon to be op and require a nerf it needs to trivialize content accessible after its availability compared to other gear available. (i.e. 1.2 Spectre Armor)

None of these items with possible exception of The Daedalus Stormbow versus the mechs are even close to reaching that tier of success. However the weapon is quite lackluster without the proper arrows(AOE non piercing arrows) and use on the surface or other sufficiently open area.
Otherwise it is laughable to even bring up nerfing other weapons with possible exception of Beenades(which notably come with the consequences of lacking a good weapon viable in hardmode.

For instance while the Fetid Baghnakhs are very powerful they have no range meaning you must be in the enemies face to use them. The whole point of them is to Out DPS the enemy or die they are very high risk high reward intentionally.

Vampire knives are already so nerfed that using them is only fr the heal and comes at the cost of damage in any and all regards so I would say they are finally working as intended any other post Plantera weapon will and should outperform them (though the Keybrand is kinda bad...)

So no I can not support this.

I agree, there are several things to consider when using each of the weapons that are mentioned, but none of them are suitable for nerfing... Although i disagree with Beenades, they are helpful enough pre-hardmode and still provide slight assistance in hardmode enough to weaken an enemy without doing immense damage...

i am disaapointed in the vamp knives being nerfed.... they were my favorite....

I agree, there are several things to consider when using each of the weapons that are mentioned, but none of them are suitable for nerfing... Although i disagree with Beenades, they are helpful enough pre-hardmode and still provide slight assistance in hardmode enough to weaken an enemy without doing immense damage...

I am disappointed in the vamp knives being nerfed.... they were my favorite....
Well considering their potency back in 1.2 I was kind of inevitable. Life steal turned out far stronger than Relogic originally anticipated. They are still useful even if they aren't as strong as they once where just a lot less. If i remember correctly they were first over nerfed and slightly buffed to make not useless though the inability to use them against the Moonlord really hurt them...

Well considering their potency back in 1.2 I was kind of inevitable. Life steal turned out far stronger than Relogic originally anticipated. They are still useful even if they aren't as strong as they once where just a lot less. If i remember correctly they were first over nerfed and slightly buffed to make not useless though the inability to use them against the Moonlord really hurt them...

Yeah, i know it had to happen i just wish it didnt... i remember killing Duke Fishron with just the Vamp Knives during their peak*:dryadcool:

Yep I also remember killing bosses while standing still and simply holding down the attack button. Fun but literally broken lol, no pre-moonlord item is really at that level of breaking game progression like that

which is a good thing though, it creates a challenge that is sort of lacking in the game world these days

Yeah, i know it had to happen i just wish it didnt... i remember killing Duke Fishron with just the Vamp Knives during their peak*
Yep I also remember killing bosses while standing still and simply holding down the attack button. Fun but literally broken lol, no pre-moonlord item is really at that level of breaking game progression like that
You still can do that, up to and including Plantera. :)
But since the V-Knives are post-Plantera now, that makes sense. After Plantera, you can't stand still anymore. (Except for Lunatic Cultist.) Golem and Fishron are feasible with V-Knives if you move around. But there are faster and better weapons available.

So really, V-Knives are not in need of nerfs. They can mop up enemies/bosses available before you can obtain the weapon -- just like almost any other weapon available after a boss is defeated. Nerfs should focus on weapons that break things in the future, not in the past.

You still can do that, up to and including Plantera. :)
But since the V-Knives are post-Plantera now, that makes sense. After Plantera, you can't stand still anymore. (Except for Lunatic Cultist.) Golem and Fishron are feasible with V-Knives if you move around. But there are faster and better weapons available.

So really, V-Knives are not in need of nerfs. They can mop up enemies/bosses available before you can obtain the weapon -- just like almost any other weapon available after a boss is defeated. Nerfs should focus on weapons that break things in the future, not in the past.

Fair point, its understandable how that would be the idea of something being necessary to nerf...

Back
Top Bottom