Someone found a new glitch?

[T-MEC] crawlr

Terrarian
So this post isn't exactly about a wiring setup... But since this community is very knowledgeable and tends to enjoy glitches I thought it warranted a post (mods let me know if I'm wrong).

Someone on reddit found a new glitch, similar to hoiks, but where the camera pans without actually moving the player model. Another user then noticed that if the process was done first in a multiplayer server, then re-done on a solo load, you actually can reveal huge areas of the map without having to explore them. See here for details: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/8qjl5e/i_found_a_glitch_and_i_dont_know_if_it_has_been/

Anyways, the point of posting here is that I too want to know if this was known or had been found before? And again, I know this isn't wiring, or really useful to wiring, but all thing glitchy seem to fit the T-MEC community interests xD

So this post isn't exactly about a wiring setup... But since this community is very knowledgeable and tends to enjoy glitches I thought it warranted a post (mods let me know if I'm wrong).

Someone on reddit found a new glitch, similar to hoiks, but where the camera pans without actually moving the player model. Another user then noticed that if the process was done first in a multiplayer server, then re-done on a solo load, you actually can reveal huge areas of the map without having to explore them. See here for details: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/8qjl5e/i_found_a_glitch_and_i_dont_know_if_it_has_been/

Anyways, the point of posting here is that I too want to know if this was known or had been found before? And again, I know this isn't wiring, or really useful to wiring, but all thing glitchy seem to fit the T-MEC community interests xD
This is pretty funny. I've just started to mess with the exploration glitch in Link to the past...
I've actually seen this effect with ropes before, when I tried to do some TModLoader hacking to disable all tile collisions. I had no idea you could actually do this in vanilla.
It could be quite interesting though. Like, this doesn't just detach the camera. The game actually thinks the player is somewhere else than where their sprite and hitbox are. Biomes will actually transition based on what you are looking at.
So here is what I think is going on.
- While the rope hinge thing is active, the player's camera gets moved around for some reason, but I guess it sort of cancels out if everything is as expected. (actually not sure how that works...)
- normally when you grapple, the hinge should deactivate.
- But because of the hoik teeth, the player will instantly bounce back onto the rope, as soon as the grappling hook moves them.
- This cause the game to think they actually never left the rope, so the hinge stays active.
- so now you are actually constantly moving left, but still on a rope. This for some reason messes up the camera location.

EDIT: The setup on the left is really just a foot height up hoik. The top block is only necessary to make the hoik go left instead of up. It works with a head high down hoik too.
UjfUKVI.png
zbzkkho.png
83wDTOs.png

Last edited:
while traveling around you can also use Rod of Discord once for faster travel. It teleports you to the current camera position.

How about some new glitch thread to gather all known glitches?

Last edited:
This probably is useless but tried this glitch with the overhaul mod and the results were after reaching a distance of about 1000 blocks the camera would reset then move faster this process would repeat entitle I got off of the glitch machine

Can you fish while on the rope like that? If so the camera-panning/biome-changing effect while remaining in one place means you could build a much smaller and more efficient all biomes fishing spot than anyone currently has.

Can you fish while on the rope like that? If so the camera-panning/biome-changing effect while remaining in one place means you could build a much smaller and more efficient all biomes fishing spot than anyone currently has.
You can't fish while on a rope unfortunately.

Oh cool, thanks for posting this here.:) (I actually just saw it in a Chippy vid...)

Another user then noticed that if the process was done first in a multiplayer server, then re-done on a solo load
To clarify - in the Reddit thread it's said that it will only work fully in single player mode. But up to 1000m away in Multiplayer mode. Thereafter the block data fails to load and everything looks weird...

My feeling is that this will be seen as more of a bug than a fun glitch. I mean, it's obviously hard to discover oneself, but it seems to have gone mainstream now, and breaks the forth wall quite a bit (especially in multiplayer mode). That is to say, I'd expect it to get patched.:sigh:

(Also: "Hi all!".)

I just checked the Chippy video. I'm sad he didn't show the multiplayer version since its a lot stronger. @ZeroGravitas idk if you tried it, but when you do it in multiplayer the block data fails to load as you mentioned, and the map is updated to reflect a giant open area, as if the area had been completely dug out. When you reload into solo, and pan over the same area and receive the block data its rendered, but at full lightning. So it fully reveals the area. I used it to fully reveal a map I was testing which is neat to be able to do in game without the need for a third party tool (although it is time consuming xD)

My feeling is that this will be seen as more of a bug than a fun glitch. I mean, it's obviously hard to discover oneself,
As wrote above you can use it together with RoD for travel (1 click to portel to your wished location). Very useful for traveling to ocean or something else. While traveling you can do some other stuff, e.g. read the wiki, watch video , drink/eat something, ...

Back
Top Bottom