Weapons & Equip Souls of the Fallen - Spectre Weapons

What do you think?

• Woooo! Late-game craftable magic!

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Awesome! More HM Dungeon-tier spells!

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Cool, but some of these are kind of redundant

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Sweet, but we have a few too many uses for ectoplasm already.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Ew, we already have weapons that do these things.

• Augh! Ecto grinding is long enough as it is!

• This thread makes me want to file a grievance with you and your family.

• Total voters

Scironex

The Destroyer
This suggestion references content from @Tobbvald's Tinkering - Specifically, The Contagion and The Covert - and @Zoomo's Cyber. Go read them.

I'm being serious.

So we have a suggestion for Melee Beetle weapons (and power tools!)
We also have a suggestion for Ranged Shroomite weapons
What we do not have is a suggestion for Magic Spectre weapons. I intend to fix that.
Note that I have no desire to see all of these weapons make it into that game, as that would be a bit too much.

In any case - "Hold on a second! Doesn't the Mage class already have too many weapons?" No. I see no reason to limit the number of weapons that any class has, as long as the weapons are mutually distinct, and can be used to give variety to playstyle. Now - "But wait! Isn't Ectoplasm already used for too many things?" Well... It is true that you have 5 tools, a set of armor with two headpieces, and a pair of summoning items, but I see no easy solution to that. Now that I'm done knocking down Strawmen, let's get back to the point.

Spectre Bolt

SpectreBolt.png

The Spectre Bolt is an upgrade to the Rainbow Rod, and unlike most weapons of its class, actually has use outside of novelty. The Bolt travels fast enough to keep up with the cursor even at very high speeds, and can pierce up to three enemies. And, keeping with the Spectre theme, it actually ignores walls, however while in a wall, the projectile is significantly slower than in air.

Damage 76
Use time 14
Knockback 6
Mana 20

Ectoplasm (12)
Bones (30)

Spectre Blaze

SpectreBlaze.png

The Blaze fires like Golden Shower, but instead of just vanishing when it hits a block, it leaves behind a white flame akin to the orange ones left by the Mourning Wood.
Inflicts Soul Drag debuff - Enemies take more damage the higher health percentage they're at. (i.e. an enemy w/ 100/100 HP will take more damage than an enemy at 50/100 HP)

Damage 76
Use time 36
Knockback 5
Mana 17

Ectoplasm (12)
Golden Shower (1)?
or
Ichor (30)?

Spectre Burst

SpectreBurst.png

The Spectre Burst is a lot like Cursed Flames, except it ignores blocks!
What? Oh, I forgot to tell you the most important part. Instead of using walls as its bouncing surface, the Burst uses the screen edges. I'm not sure if it could actually use the visual screen edges or if it would have to be the "off-screen" that enemy spawning uses, but it would be so much cooler if it was the former.
Inflicts Soul Drain debuff - Enemies take 10% of their remaining HP in damage twice a second.

Damage 64
Use time 18
Knockback 6
Mana 16

Ectoplasm (12)
Cursed Flames (1) (Spell)?
or
Cursed Flames(30) (Item)?

Spectre Blind

SpectreBlind.png

The Spectre Blind behaves not unlike a shotgun. When it fires, it shoots 5 - 7 projectiles that go through walls and have about half as much range as Crystal Storm, and travel in a wave-like pattern. However, it has a long use time, and is inaccurate.

Damage 40
Use time 47
Knockback 2
Mana 4

Ectoplasm (12)
Crystal Storm(1)?
or
Crystal Shard (30)?

Spectre Beat

SpectreBeat.png

And here comes my favorite. This one is based off of The Cyber. Using this causes the player to warp a very short distance in the direction the cursor is pointing, then reappear with a split second of invulnerability (To prevent taking contact damage) and an explosion. It does not cause Chaos State, since it goes for such a short distance and has such a long use time. However, if you warp into a wall, you take suffocation damage and cannot move.

Damage 100
Use time 48
Knockback 9
Mana 20

Ectoplasm (12)
Arc Beam (1)?
or
Beam Reactor (15)?

Spectre Bite

SpectreBite.png

Unlike the Beat, which was support of a suggestion almost as an afterthought, the Bite is based entirely off of The Contagion. It shoots a moderately slow projectile in a straight line which latches onto the first enemy it hits. This is where the fun starts. The primary projectile does constant damage while latched. Every time it inflicts damage, it releases a spirit which homes on to a different enemy. If no other enemies are present, no projectiles will be released. The primary stays attached for 5 seconds, or until its prey dies. Both the primary and the secondary projectiles ignore walls.
Secondary projectile inflicts Soul Clasp debuff in tiers - Tier I: Enemies move more slowly and lose 2% of their remaining HP every second. Tier II: Enemies move even more slowly, lose 5% of their damage, and take 3% of their remaining HP every second. Tier III: Enemies can barely move, lose 10% of their damage, and take 4% of their remaining HP every second. Additionally, if a Tier III Soul Clasped enemy dies, it releases a tertiary projectile identical to the primary projectile towards the closest enemy. (Doesn't home.)

Damage
Use time
Knockback
Mana

Ectoplasm (12)
Miasmic Haze (1)?
or
Miasma (30)?

Spectre Blast

SpectreBlast.png

This is based off of the other biome by Tobbvald: The Covert. The Blast makes a large, damaging sphere appear above the player. The sphere releases secondary projectiles in all directions which behave like crystal bullets - that is, they have an AoE of "Soul Shards" when they hit an enemy. The sphere lingers for a long period of time, and while it's there, you cannot switch weapons or regen mana, but you can move and jump and all those shenanigans. Both the orb and the secondary shots ignore walls.

Damage
Use time
Knockback
Mana

Ectoplasm (12)
Aember Glare (1)?
or
Cinder Sap (30)?

As I alluded to earlier, most of these are upgraded forms of previous spells. What I'm not sure of is whether I should use the actually spellbooks or the biome-related materials use to craft them. Feel free to discuss down the thread. Also no Chlorophyte, because that's obscenely overused already.

Now for the last bit:

Spectre Bauble
Accessory

SpectreBaubleByOreoFace.png

(Thanks a ton to @OreoFace for letting me recolor his sprite!)

"What?! An accessory?! That's stup-" Shut up, Aunt Sally. The Spectre Bauble is something we've all been waiting for! A hardmode Honey Comb! Of sorts. Rather than bees, it releases souls, akin to those released by the Spectre Mask. They scale with raw damage taken (Damage before armor), and also inflict magic damage. Also, you guessed it, the projectiles ignore walls.

Honey Comb (1)
Ectoplasm (12)

Good criticism is appreciated.

EDIT 12/9/14 17:15 CT: Nerfed damage and added thematic debuffs.

EDIT 12/13/14 11:40 CT: Edited Spectre Blind to be less OP.

EDIT 12/13/14 2:37 CT: Added the Bite and the Blast. Also edited the Beat sprite.

EDIT 12/14/14 7:39 CT: Spectre Bolt nerfed for the same reason as the Blind

EDIT 12/19/14 1:13 CT: Added a Banner, yo.

Last edited:
Some decent, some good some meh, like the idea of a stronger Honeycomb, Also like the idea of a rainbow rod that shoots through walls. I don't really use much of the other stuff. In any case nice job; although I had to select all the text to read it, or go blind. xD

I actually think these are some decent ideas at the least. Some of these are actually pretty well thought out, in my honest opinion. I'll give you my support... Although I may not have much to give, considering how many awesome suggestions are out there.

I've put up most of the sprites, and introduced new weapons. I don't have the Stats for the TT weapons, but I'll get to those.
[DOUBLEPOST=1417308381][/DOUBLEPOST]
What? That's the most interesting one of all.
index.php
oops
Crap. I accidentally made the Beat look a bit like that. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have sprite for the spectre bauble (if you want it, I'm not very good :/ )
i love this idea and want it to be put into terraria, simply because i cannot do anything with melee and the fact that i have a limited supply of ammo, even if its 2,000 clorophyte bullets,annoys me, so the only option is magic.if this is implemented i will have more ways to blow stuff up! thats always good!

SUPPORT

upload_2014-11-30_17-59-25.png

I have sprite for the spectre bauble (if you want it, I'm not very good :/ )
i love this idea and want it to be put into terraria, simply because i cannot do anything with melee and the fact that i have a limited supply of ammo, even if its 2,000 clorophyte bullets,annoys me, so the only option is magic.if this is implemented i will have more ways to blow stuff up! thats always good!

SUPPORT

The sprite's not bad! The colors don't quite match, so if you don't mind, I'll change them to the same ones as the Spectre gear, then add it.

O.K. thank you,i wasn't sure it was that good and i kinda guessed at the colors,so thanks a lot!

Something I was thinking about: Some of these weapons - I was specifically thinking of the C. Flames and G. Shower upgrades - have debuff inflicting spells as bases. What would you guys think if the upgrades also gave similar debuffs?

Back
Top Bottom