Standalone Sound Pack- Terraria SFX Overhaul

Lithium

Spazmatism
Have you ever fired a Musket or shark gun variant and thought "Hm, you know, guns really shouldn't go *bok*." I have too!
And since I'm pretty much only good at doing sound stuff, I thought it might be fun to replace a bunch of Terraria's more lackluster sound effects with something more appropriate or satisfying. After all, good sound design can VASTLY improve game feel. So I did!

Using a variety of sound effects, mostly from Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2, I replaced many of Terraria's sounds with more beefy, appropriate counterparts.
This was a challenge to get to sound right, though, and I couldn't improve bows very much, since their sound is also used for paintball guns and antlions spitting sand, I had to keep it close to vanilla.

You may recognize sounds from FTL: Faster Than Light as well! Some of the energy weapon sounds have been replaced with ones from that game, and let me tell you, FTL had some SWEET laser sounds.
Using the Space Gun, Pulse Bow, and Laser Minigun now feels amazing! Even some of the other magic sounds and such have been modified, mixed with some other sounds and often beefed up by turning up the bass or applying special effects to them. I've tested them all, and to me, at least, it feels great.

Many NPCs now also have great, visceral hurt/death sounds, plus, the many boss roars have been replaced, too. Player beware, you're in for a scare!

DOWNLOAD HERE
Installation instructions included.

Credit for sounds goes to Valve for many of the HL2-TF2 sound effects, Subset Games for some of FTL's laser sounds, Paragon Studios(and, ugh, NCSoft) for the City of Heroes sounds, From Software for one Armored Core 2 sound used, and Re-Logic for many of the modified original SFX.

There were some Super Mario World swim sounds for the bubble pops in there, which are Nintendo's, obviously. My uncle, Rob, also had a few sound effects I used, but I don't know if any of those are left.

Last edited:
Oh! I just wanna let people know, if you've got any input on this sound pack, any issues or such, please do tell me.
I want to know how I did, heh.

Oh! I just wanna let people know, if you've got any input on this sound pack, any issues or such, please do tell me.
I want to know how I did, heh.

So far i LOVE it hunny bun <3 the SFX sounds soo much more nicer to the ears and the Explosions feel like if im playing a arcade game during a boss fight.!! I truly support this idea you have here hun ^^....as for the Roar...well let the players find out ;3

So far i LOVE it hunny bun <3 the SFX sounds soo much more nicer to the ears and the Explosions feel like if im playing a arcade game during a boss fight.!! I truly support this idea you have here hun ^^....as for the Roar...well let the players find out ;3
Oh, thanks! Yeah, I just sorta decided to try this one day... a lot of the sounds in Terraria are lacking in beef.
But there's something real nice about blasting a boss apart with an Onyx Blaster when it sounds like this...~

Update - Added Item_7, which is the boomerang 'whoosh'. It was pretty understated before, but now your boomerangs and a number of other weapons which use that whoosh are a bit better-sounding.

Update - Added Item_7, which is the boomerang 'whoosh'. It was pretty understated before, but now your boomerangs and a number of other weapons which use that whoosh are a bit better-sounding.

then i shall check it out too ^^

I'm loving these sfx changes, although i'd love a version with more modern explosion sounds.
What exactly do you mean by "modern"? I quite like the HL2 explosion sounds. They shouldn't be too bombastic- that sound is, after all, used for a lot of things.
You wouldn't have ears anymore if you used Explosive Bullets and a Megashark if the sound was huge, heh.

Update!
It's the Magic Bows update!
Bec-because it improves magic and bows.
The sound library now features a host of new magic sounds from City of Heroes (RIP), as well as a few non-magic sounds, and bow sounds, finally!
Yes, using a bow now actually sounds like using a bow. But it's still generic enough to work for other purposes, like the antlions(kinda) and paintball gun!
Wings also now have a schweet flapping sound, and the mana regen sound is a bit more obvious, though it's still the same one you know.

What exactly do you mean by "modern"? I quite like the HL2 explosion sounds. They shouldn't be too bombastic- that sound is, after all, used for a lot of things.
You wouldn't have ears anymore if you used Explosive Bullets and a Megashark if the sound was huge, heh.
nvm, a mod changed the explosion sound, I had a feeling it was out of place.

New update! This update further overhauls the sound of energy weapons, beefing them all up in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. The boss laser sound (Item_33) is now back to that satisfying sound it was before, but with even more beef and effect added to it to increase the impact!
Other energy weapon sounds have changed, too. Have a listen!

New update! This update further overhauls the sound of energy weapons, beefing them all up in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. The boss laser sound (Item_33) is now back to that satisfying sound it was before, but with even more beef and effect added to it to increase the impact!
Other energy weapon sounds have changed, too. Have a listen!

yay more updates!!

I love the premise of this mod, but im not hearing any of the new sounds. Any mods that would conflict with this?

What did you do with the sound files you downloaded? These should have literally overwritten the old sounds with new sounds.

Edit: Also I'm not currently using the mod Terraria Overhaul but I understand that comes with its own set of sound effects that may be taking precedence.

Last edited:
While I agree that most sounds are a pretty neat upgrade, the one sound you hear most often when building is... grating... to say the least. And the problem is, while it is accurate for tile placement (as in actual tiles, not Terraria's square-space generic term "tiles"), dropping a long rope while endlessly hearing the sound of splattering bricks made me revert back to vanilla sounds.
Could you perhaps look for a more generic sound effect for tile placement, please? One that's not grating when on a constant loop. I really liked most of the sounds, but that one sound was a bit too much.

Back
Top Bottom