PC Source code or updated decompiling guide for 1.4.0.5?

Terri

Terrarian
Since Re-Logic officially supports this, the question shouldn't be a problem.

I'm trying to get a decompiled code for 1.4.0.5, to update my 1.3 mini-mods and do a slightly tweaked vanilla 1.4 playthrough while waiting several months for updated tModloader content. I tried decompiling with ILSpy, but even after fixing the assembly dependency errors the decompiled csproj project is incomplete and refuses to start, so I couldn't even get to the source code error fixing part.

Since many fine modders and programmers obviously already did what I'm trying to do, does anyone know where I can get the updated source for 1.4.0.5? I only found GitHub depositories for much older versions. If anyone could share the newest version, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it. If not, perhaps somebody could kindly offer an updated guide on how to decompile it manually? Thank you!

Use the tModLoader decompiler to decompile 1.4 Terraria, you might have to change the assembly version of Terraria 1.4

Thank you for pointing the way. If you can offer any additional pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it. The only reason I'm asking is because the download version of tModLoader doesn't contain a decompiler executable and googling for "tModLoader decompiler" in quotes doesn't return any results. So far, I found a ICSharpCode.Decompiler.dll on Modloader's GitHub source, but I'm not quite sure how to use it yet. I'm just an amateur programmer so any additional help would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Thank you for pointing the way. If you can offer any additional pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it. The only reason I'm asking is because the download version of tModLoader doesn't contain a decompiler executable and googling for "tModLoader decompiler" in quotes doesn't return any results. So far, I found a ICSharpCode.Decompiler.dll on Modloader's GitHub source, but I'm not quite sure how to use it yet. I'm just an amateur programmer so any additional help would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Do those steps but dont decompile tModLoader decompile 1.4 Terraria, if it tells you that its the wrong Terraria version, change the assembly version of 1.4 Terraria to the right one with DnSpy

I didn't have much luck decompiling through tModLoader, so if anyone can provide a few more newb-friendly instructions (or a PM), I'd welcome it. As for the "sharing is piracy" comment, I disagree. I own 4 copies of Terraria on Steam and all I want to do is to tweak some of the settings and recipes to make our next playthrough a little bit more challenging and lengthier. Even more:

A) Relogic now officially supports tModLoader and its embedded decompiler. This is a new fact that should be taken into account when discussing "piracy".
B) Even if you recompile the source, you still have to have all the game's assets to play it. If you wanted to play without the license, you'd have to spend hours removing Steam from the source, which is just stupid considering that you may get around that in like 10 seconds with easily available pirating tools.

For these reasons I kindly ask that my request doesn't get removed. I really want to be able to tweak some stuff before our next Terraria adventure starts (should be next week or so). If anyone can help out, I'd really appreciate it, guys!

I didn't have much luck decompiling through tModLoader, so if anyone can provide a few more newb-friendly instructions (or a PM), I'd welcome it. As for the "sharing is piracy" comment, I disagree. I own 4 copies of Terraria on Steam and all I want to do is to tweak some of the settings and recipes to make our next playthrough a little bit more challenging and lengthier. Even more:

A) Relogic now officially supports tModLoader and its embedded decompiler. This is a new fact that should be taken into account when discussing "piracy".
B) Even if you recompile the source, you still have to have all the game's assets to play it. If you wanted to play without the license, you'd have to spend hours removing Steam from the source, which is just stupid considering that you may get around that in like 10 seconds with easily available pirating tools.

For these reasons I kindly ask that my request doesn't get removed. I really want to be able to tweak some stuff before our next Terraria adventure starts (should be next week or so). If anyone can help out, I'd really appreciate it, guys!
We aren't going to close this thread, I'm just stating why the source won't be shared. It's pretty standard practice for proprietry software, especially games.
The best place to ask for help on this topic is probably the tModloader discord. They should be able to walk you through using their tool there, it definitley works for 1.4 (I've made personal tweaks myself).

Last edited:
good point
you are very smart
It's a known fact that this game is easy to decompile, but it still doesn't change the End-User-Agreement-Lisence you signed

Relogic can't stop you from decompiling their product WHEN you OWN a copy, but only you will be able to decompile the game AND what you see is for your eyes only.

tbh it's pretty shocking one of the most popular indie games ever made has practically 0 drm of any kind. Still thou.
It doesn't change TMODLoader from doing a steam library check and blocking you from downloading off the browser if you pirated the game :p I had this one guy beg me for TMOD files and MAN did they get pissed off when I figured out they were pirates and told them to just buy the game.

I would like when Re Logic would just make the game open source its not like the copy protection does really help stooping pirates and for new modders it can be really hard to decompile the game for there modding needs

Last edited:
I would like when Re Logic would just make the game open source its not like the copy protection does really help stooping pirates and for new modders it can be really hard to decompile the game for there modding needs
There is a very big difference between ReLogic making the game open source and pirates being able to crack it anyway.
Piracy is illegal - compiling from open source is not. Releasing the game as open source pretty much makes it so the game is free to play. I can't really see this happening ever.

Besides, decompiling the game isn't particularly difficult if you're a competent programmer, and even then you don't need to decompile the game to make mods, thanks to tModloader.

There is a very big difference between ReLogic making the game open source and pirates being able to crack it anyway.
Piracy is illegal - compiling from open source is not. Releasing the game as open source pretty much makes it so the game is free to play. I can't really see this happening ever.

Besides, decompiling the game isn't particularly difficult if you're a competent programmer, and even then you don't need to decompile the game to make mods, thanks to tModloader.
well I was able to decomple 1.3 pretty well with ILSpy but later 1.3 versions I was not able to it just didn't work so I don't think 1.4 will work with it.
If you make a mod that bases many items on vanilla terraria items like my mod does it is crucual to know how they are made in the vannila code also you get more examples as just with the example mod and I really found that helpfull.
Yer Pirating is illegal but the only people who really get problems because of it are the once who upload it the downloaders are usually fine. Also is it not possible to make somthing source open but still force people to buy the game or idk a website were you have to login via steam so it veryvies that you own the game and only then you can see the code and you make sharing this code illeagl like is that not a possibilty?

well I was able to decomple 1.3 pretty well with ILSpy but later 1.3 versions I was not able to it just didn't work so I don't think 1.4 will work with it.
If you make a mod that bases many items on vanilla terraria items like my mod does it is crucual to know how they are made in the vannila code also you get more examples as just with the example mod and I really found that helpfull.
Yer Pirating is illegal but the only people who really get problems because of it are the once who upload it the downloaders are usually fine. Also is it not possible to make somthing source open but still force people to buy the game or idk a website were you have to login via steam so it veryvies that you own the game and only then you can see the code and you make sharing this code illeagl like is that not a possibilty?
What? No if your running a pirated copy of Terraria your no better than those who seeded the illegal copy

You have to decompile the game yourself, that is the only means to get the code. Try using DNSpy to get the code if ILSpy isn't working.
No one will give you the code. There are no other means to get it, your already walking a thin line by taking Relogic's work apart.

As for modding just look up guides, there's quite a few

As I said before, the tModloader devs have made an excellent tool that makes decompiling 1.4 very very easy.
Right, but if you are that deep into making a mod, you should be capable of decompiling the game yourself.
Yer Pirating is illegal but the only people who really get problems because of it are the once who upload it the downloaders are usually fine.
Just because it's not enforced as often, it doesn't change the fact that you are breaking the law. Getting away with a crime does not suddenly make it legal.
Also is it not possible to make somthing source open but still force people to buy the game or idk a website were you have to login via steam so it veryvies that you own the game and only then you can see the code and you make sharing this code illeagl like is that not a possibilty?
Adding a check like that doesn't really change anything, people would just share the code regardless.

can somebody just share the boss source code i want to make a boss but i only know how to make fighter ai npcs

can somebody just share the boss source code i want to make a boss but i only know how to make fighter ai npcs
It's against the Forum rules to share source code and overall its not really legal to share source code of a paid application. Just decompile Terraria yourself, search up on how to decompile C# Applications

Back
Top Bottom