Blocks & Decoration SovereignVis's Many Suggestions for 1.3.1

SovereignVis

Terrarian
I had originally posted this idea in the Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!
But a few people replied to my post saying this needs it's own thread. And after
MarioKart7z yelled at me saying "Oh my God. post this in the suggestions thread RIGHT NOW. WE NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111"
I was like, okay a few others asked me to make this into it's own thread, and the post has gotten a few likes so here it is. XD

Terraria is great a 2D side scrolling game and it has many things that other great 2D side scrolling game have. But there is one major thing it is still missing.
And that is moving platforms. (Examples in other games)

Cyber_Track.png
smas-smb3_w3-2_rail.png
mm2-platforms.png
320148-batman-return-of-the-joker-nes-screenshot-stage-2-1-some-moving.png

Lots of other awesome games have had many different kinds of them. I think Terraria needs a way for players to make them too.

So here is my suggestions for a type of rail system that will let players build moving platforms.

1qdbmaZ.png
Rails: Can be placed like an Actuator and allows Rail Wheels to move along them. (Horizontal, Vertical, Corner, Intersection, End piece, and a lot of other sloping pieces... You get the idea.)

xmTCg1z.png
Rail Wheel: Can be placed like an Actuator and is moved by Rail Motors. When a Rail Wheel is on an active Rail Motor it is pushed along the rail and takes any object with it that it is placed on. It will keep it's same speed until it hits another Rail Motor or reaches the end of the rail.

DokOb0B.png
Rail Frames: Can be placed like an Actuator and it does not move by Rail Motors. When placed next to a Rail Wheel or other Frames, Rail Frames will connect to them and will be pulled with Rail Wheels that are moving. Also moves objects they are placed on and prevents blocks from merging with the blocks they are placed on as well as changing shape.

QYgnT9N.png
(Connected Rail Frames)

t3TrfP8.png
Rail Motors: Can be placed like an Actuator and pushes Rail Wheels along Rails. Left-click with a Screwdriver to change directions.

QctYrAG.png
Rail Motors set at different speeds. Right-click with a Screwdriver to change speeds. (The black one on the right is an inactive Motor.)

6JYv58g.png
Rail Pressure Plate: Activates when hit by a Rail Wheel.

This system will let players make all crazy kinds of moving devices.

Here is an example of a basic moving platform that moves horizontally. (Wire View)

rn4rPVA.jpg

Simply place Rail Motors on the ends of the rails to move Rail Wheels back and forth from end to end. (I used Living Fire in place of Lava just because it's easier to place and remove)

For custom maps you can make things more interesting by starting the Motors turned off and placing a switch players must hit to turn the Motors on. (Wire View)

QTnDJNq.jpg

Or if you want to make it harder, don't use blocks or a platform. Make a moving rope they have to climb on. (Normal View)

9k99NEj.jpg

(Wire View)
37YC4sX.jpg

(Note that Frames move with the Wheel they are connected to and pull objects they are placed on.)

With this Rail system custom maps can also have new kinds of hazards. Like these "smashers" in the picture below. (Normal View)

vBCTIBy.jpg

(Wire View)
BvN1OkQ.jpg

Place a Motor set on a slow speed at the bottom aimed up to make the blocks go up slowly, and place a Motor set at a fast speed aimed down to make the blocks drop down fast to smash players unfortunate to be caught under them. XD
I'm sure many of you have seen crushing hazards like this in other games, as well as been crushed your self by them. (Examples in other games)

Sonic1_marblezonepillars.png
Iggy's_Castle_Crusher_Room.PNG
castlevaniasmashytraps.png

They really need some kind of button that only activates things for 1 tick so we can make some cool elevators.
nynfdwY.jpg

Press the button to activate the Motor at the bottom just for a sec to send the platform up. With it off after the platform is sent up, it will stop when you go back down and it hits the off Motor. (I just made a red dot on Light Switches to make a button.)

These are just some of the basics of what can be done with Rails. I know we will see custom maps with all crazy kinds of platforming puzzles and hazards.
shHzpgz.jpg

(Normal View)

ysGtYxO.jpg

(Wire View)

Any questions? :dryadsmile:

I'm sure that many people are already thinking of the endless possibilities that they could do with this type of rail system. So leave a comment below on other crazy ways that you would use them.

Not sure just how much the game engine can handle but I also had the idea for...
Some kind of Turn Wheel that will rotate objects as they move along the rails or just sitting in place, kind of like this. --->

250px-NSMB_W2-Tower.png

But again I don't know for sure what all the limitations of the game engine are. Because I saw on 1 post they said they can't add more than 4 wire colors. :dryadcry:
But if they could do it. You could place a Turning Wheel use a Screwdriver to set it's speed and connect Frames to it to make swinging things like this. --->
2.png

I also had the idea for a Free Wheel that would move things along the rail when a player or mobs run into them. Then you could make push-able blocks.

Link_Push.gif

Also Floaters. You would place them like an Actuator on blocks and other items and it will cause them to sit on top of liquids. This would be another cool thing for making puzzles in custom maps.
s1-lz-objectsimg6full.png

Yeah, I know somethings may not be possible with the limitations of the game engine. Still I will wait until a Dev tells me that to be disappointed. XD Beach Balls float, until they turn back into a dropped item so players can pick them back up again. Yeah it would be weird but they could still make the blocks just at the closest point of the water level but still in the grid. Weird, but it would still be something. Or maybe they turn into non-block entities when a liquid hits them and they float, and turn into a block and snap to the nearest grid point when there is no liquid or the player moves to far away.

And here is just a few other things I think the game needs.

(New Tools)
NsOxzpM.png
Screwdriver
: Left-click on objects to change which way it is facing. (Examples: can make all traps face up, down, left or right. Can flip chairs, beds, toilets, etc... to face the other way.) Right-click to change the settings of an object. (Examples: The speed of a Rail Motor. The state of a switch/lever without activating what it is wired too. Switch objects like lights on/off without needing to wire them to a switch/lever.)

NyUxyq2.png
Chisel
: Right-click brings up a small window with all the different block shapes. Left-click on a block to change it to the selected shape.

(I know this next update is mainly about wiring, but this tool is mainly to make hoiking devices faster and easier to build. Like I built a hoiking star collector that when 200 blocks to the left and 200 blocks to the right of the base I had set up on one map with one of my characters. And on the right side I had to hit each block 4 times to get it the shape I wanted. On the left side I had to hit each block 5 times to get it the right shape. And this is not counting the times I mis-clicked and had to go through all the shapes again. That is why I think it would be super handy to have this tool.
Also it would be great if this tool could also shape/slope the back walls to the selected shape.
Don't you just hate how when you place back walls in a house with a sloped roof it leaves these small corners inside? (As showed in the picture below on the left side of the roof) And if you place back walls on those corners it sticks outside of the roof. (As showed on the right side of the roof)
dtbyG8D.png

Only way to fix it is to make the roof 2 blocks wide.
xfcsmL2.png

But you might not want it 2 blocks wide.
So I think this tool would be great to have for both hoiking devices and buildings with sloped designs. Also it would be really awesome if you could slope traps and make them fire diagonally. `:D

-Re-bar: You place them just like you would "Actuators" and what they do is make it so the blocks they are placed on can't be mined or blown up. This will give people a lot more options for making custom maps as well as make it so you can't break things you don't want to by mistake.
-Anti-Actuator or Anti-Activator something? : You place them just like you would "Actuators" but they make it so wire can pass through something without activating it. this makes it so you can place them in the same block as a torch and any wires passing through the torch won't switch it on/off when you hit the switch to activate something.
PqBDCAt.gif
Target Switch
: When hit by an attack by a player the Target Switch will flip on/off and activate/deactivate whatever it is wired too.

L5cbQnm.gif
Target Block: When hit by an attack by a player the Target Block will switch on/off and activate/deactivate whatever it is wired too.
Different Target Types: I was also thinking maybe we could have different colored targets for different things. Like Orange targets only activate when hit by a melee attack. Green targets only activate when hit by ranged attacks. Blue for magic, and Yellow for minions from a summoner type weapon.
Team Targets: I would also be cool to have targets that can only be activated by players of the team color. For the Target Switch the base could be a different color to show what team can activate it. I might make sprites different colored sprites for the other types of targets later on.
Even more fun for custom maps. `:happy:
xIZKWnc.gif
Conveyor blocks
: Maybe made with cogs and wires. Makes a moving surface that moves any players, NPCs, animals, mobs, and items that are on them. Wire to Rail Motor to set speed. Also I was thinking they should merge with placed cogs. I can see a lot of fun this would make for custom maps. Platforming on moving surfaces.

-Item Dropper: It will be like a chest but will drop items out when activated. Maybe give it settings so you can drop set # of item at a time, set # slot at a time, a set # of items per slot at a time. Or all the items in the dropper at once. This would also be good for custom maps.
-One time only switch: It would be like the lever but you can only flip it once. Another thing that would be good for custom maps. You can of course break it and then place it back in the same spot to reset it.
-(New Trap) Fireball Trap: Shoots a fireball out when activated. Fireball works just like the fireballs shot from a Flower of Fire. Aiming them up will give you the same fireball jumping out of lava effect seen in many Mario and Sonic games. `;)
Also maybe have it so you can set different levels of velocity by right-clicking it with a Screwdriver.

smas-smb3_w1-fortress_podoboo.png
s1-mz-objectsimg1.png

-(New Trap) Firebolt Trap: Shoots a small fireball in a straight path just like the Dart Trap and Super Dart Trap.
Fireball.png

KJ3rAcx.gif
Randomizer: Sends an output to 1 of up to 8 sockets at random. Place wire going to the question mark in the center for input. When activated the Randomizer with output to one of the open sockets. Can open sockets by right-clicking them with a Screwdriver. (The gray socket on the middle left shows a closed socket and will not be counted in the randomization.)

-Gem Stands: It would also be cool to have gem stands for Large Gems. You would place them on the stands like you would place a torch or an weapon/item in a frame. But when the right gem in place into the stand it would activate whatever the stand is wired too and of course deactivate if the gem is removed. The activate/deactivate state can be flipped with a Screwdriver.
This would be nice for CTG maps. You could have one of each stand at your team's base, and with logic gates being adding in 1.3.1 the stands could be wired to activate some fireworks or something only when both are activated. `:happy:

Update - 2/12/2016
I know we are getting very close to 1.3.1, but I just had 2 my ideas the game really needs for wiring.
-Counter Display: This will be an item you place on back walls that is maybe only about 2x2 or 3x3 and displays a number like a digital clock and can count down or up. Maybe have it so you can make it count up by the wires activating on the top 2 or 3 blocks of the counter and count down by activating on the bottom blocks. Or use a Screwdriver to set it to only count up or only count down.
We really need this in Terraria because current number displays are just way too big. XD

E3760B32B2FC047188B13A8925D2EF64B9738934

-Sound Box: This item can be placed like a music box and plays a sound effect when activated. Right-click on it to select what sound effect it will play.
I think this would be great for custom maps because when a player finds a hidden switch and hits it what it activates because be far away and off screen. Plus walls being opened by an Actuator don't make any sound, so it would be great if we could have a
Sound Box that can make a stone wall moving sound effect to let the player know that a wall opened up somewhere and they can now get into an area that they couldn't before. There could be hundreds of other sound effects that could be useful when wired to something. :)

Last edited:
Nice suggestions! Although this is kind of off topic, what dye do you have on your wisp?
Ah! off hand I don't know. I will have to check that later. Another thing off topic they should add. More paint colors. They added all crazy kind of dyes, but no new paint colors. I would like to be able to mix red and black to get dark red. And deep red with black to get deep dark red. Or white with red for light red and deep red with white for deep light red, and same for all other colors. And maybe paint thinner to make deep paint back into normal paint if you make to much deep paint.

Aww, not first D:
But, this is the SECOND time i've been mentioned in a thread! (the first time was with the Thorium Mod)
ON-TOPIC:
These ideas are just perfect. So many more possibilities for parkour maps, puzzle maps and even portal maps! (assuming portals are carried with moving platforms and conveyors)
And as they say:
"MORE WORK FOR THE CENX-SPAMMERS!"

Update!

Because it would be too cool to not make it. I made sloped rails and added them to my original post, along with diagonal motors for when they are placed on a sloped rail.

Fantasitc ideas, it could make some map like terra-mario.
With this Rail system custom maps can also have new kinds of hazards. Like these "smashers" in the picture below. (Normal View)
Just out of curiosity, what will happen if player get smashed?
Some kind of Turn Wheel that will rotate objects as they move along the rails or just sitting in place, kind of like this. --->

Just say, what will happen if a rotating hit a wall? Will it stop or turn to opposite direction?
like this(bad painting):
无标题.png

-Re-bar: You place them just like you would "Actuators" and what they do is make it so the blocks they are placed on can't be mined or blown up. This will give people a lot more options for making custom maps as well as make it so you can't break things you don't want to by mistake.

How to remove it then?

Fantasitc ideas, it could make some map like terra-mario.
Just out of curiosity, what will happen if player get smashed?

The player dies of course. What do you think would happen? XD When sand falls on the player they start taking damage. This will be like that but way more damage. Like being hit by a boulder.

Just say, what will happen if a rotating hit a wall? Will it stop or turn to opposite direction?
like this(bad painting):
View attachment 76041

Yeah, I guess we can have it turn the opposite direction if people prefer that.

How to remove it then?
Just remove the Re-bar with wire cutters like you would an Actuator, then you can remove the blocks.

The player dies of course. What do you think would happen? XD
Actually, I thought player will either take some minor damage(like hitting by a sand) or completely nothing(like when standing in front of some inactive stones and then active them). Just thought the instant kill effect doesn't fit the terraria style and feel a little strange.(Maybe deal some damage rather than instant kill could be better)

And just thought of it, what will happen if the smasher used by a player against the mobs? Also I think it may also have some use for making traps for mobs.

Actually, I thought player will either take some minor damage(like hitting by a sand) or completely nothing(like when standing in front of some inactive stones and then active them). Just thought the instant kill effect doesn't fit the terraria style and feel a little strange.(Maybe deal some damage rather than instant kill could be better)

And just thought of it, what will happen if the smasher used by a player against the mobs? Also I think it may also have some use for making traps for mobs.
Well boulders are not instant kill but they do a lot more damage. It should be way more damage than sand. Maybe the damage will be more based on how many blocks it is. Maybe it will do like x5 the damage of sand per block. So 1 block would hurt but most likely not kill the player, but a lot of blocks would.

Well boulders are not instant kill but they do a lot more damage. It should be way more damage than sand. Maybe the damage will be more based on how many blocks it is. Maybe it will do like x5 the damage of sand per block. So 1 block would hurt but most likely not kill the player, but a lot of blocks would.
Brilliant idea! This should be pointed out to the devs, nice work! Just one thing, will there be pressure plate rails? And can there be junctions where you can go in two different directions off one rail depending on which rail is selected (like a normal railway).

Brilliant idea! This should be pointed out to the devs, nice work! Just one thing, will there be pressure plate rails? And can there be junctions where you can go in two different directions off one rail depending on which rail is selected (like a normal railway).
Well I don't know for sure what the limitations of the game engine are, I know they said they can only have 4 wire colors, so not sure how much if any of my idea will make it into the game. But yeah the rails would be able to switch just like minecart tracks. Just place wire hitting a junction and have it get activated by something.
And I guess I will have to make a rail pressure plate. But players won't be able to see it like other types of pressure plates. It will be only in wire view.

Update!

I have added a Rail Pressure Plates and Conveyor blocks to the original post. I plan to animate the Conveyor blocks later on.
`:)

Can the conveyor blocks be moved with rails? If so, how would the "wire to rail motor to set speed" thing work
Wow, it would be good to make a conveyor rail. People trying not to fall while trying to jump to next platforms... Hahaha

EDIT: just a question, what would happen if the player gets smashed by these crushing hazards? Would they instantly die, lose half of HP?

Last edited:
Can the conveyor blocks be moved with rails? If so, how would the "wire to rail motor to set speed" thing work
Well, again not sure of the limitations of the engine, but hopefully frames will be able to also move wires when they are placed on them. But if that's not possible, then maybe just in wire view it will show colored arrows on the conveyor blocks to show what speed it is set at and you can right-click with the Screw Driver to change it's speed. Or I guess you only have to set it's speed with a motor at first and even if it gets moved it's speed will be the same until wired to another motor with a different speed setting. There are a number of ways it could be done. But if wires could be moved by frames think of all the crazy wiring stuff people could build. `:naughty:

Wow, it would be good to make a conveyor rail. People trying not to fall while trying to jump to next platforms... Hahaha

EDIT: just a question, what would happen if the player gets smashed by these crushing hazards? Would they instantly die, lose half of HP?
It would most likely be instant death, like a player with 100HP and no armor being hit by a boulder. I was thinking maybe the damage could be based on how many blocks the crushing hazard is made out of. So 1 block might not kill you, but it should do more than falling sand. And if it's like 25 blocks then it will hurt a lot more. ':eek:

Reactions: JK0
Well, again not sure of the limitations of the engine, but hopefully frames will be able to also move wires when they are placed on them. But if that's not possible, then maybe just in wire view it will show colored arrows on the conveyor blocks to show what speed it is set at and you can right-click with the Screw Driver to change it's speed. Or I guess you only have to set it's speed with a motor at first and even if it gets moved it's speed will be the same until wired to another motor with a different speed setting. There are a number of ways it could be done. But if wires could be moved by frames think of all the crazy wiring stuff people could build. `:naughty:
Or you could simply put the wire so it covers any spot where the conveyor blocks could be.

(Also, can rails move NPC housing locations? 'cuz i could see a few glitches happening if it couldn't)

Or you could simply put the wire so it covers any spot where the conveyor blocks could be.

(Also, can rails move NPC housing locations? 'cuz i could see a few glitches happening if it couldn't)
Again, not sure what the game engine's limitations are, but if it's possible frames could be used to move tables, chairs, doors, torches, etc... Thinking about it now I might have to make different settings for frames that can be changed with a Screw Driver. Maybe on 1 setting the frames only move the block they are on, and another they move the back wall also, and if possible another setting they move wire type stuff too. But I'm sure you would have to just reset the NPC's house to the new spot if you moved it. Because yeah it might kind of glitch out while it is moving and have it not count as a house until it stops in it's new spot. But if players could move at least 1 room at a time of a house that would be awesome.

PLEASE don't use font colours like this. Purple font on the Corruption theme is difficult to read. I'm sorry, I'd like to read through this and offer feedback / support you, but it's too difficult to read.

Back
Top Bottom