Items Special Abilities for High-Velocity Bullets

What do you think?

• Giving HV enemy penetration.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Giving HV Bullets an anti-armor bonus.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • I have a different change in mind. (Please comment.)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Meh. I wouldn't care. There's better ammo out there.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Cog.png
Ammo_Box.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
I'm not gonna lie. HV Bullets are my third favorite type of gun ammo (next to Explosive Bullets and Chlorophyte Bullets) which is why I think they need more love. The incredible shot speed that they have give them a distinct advantage over other types of bullets, not to mention making them a heck of a lot of fun to use, but other than that, they're just a Silver Bullet upgrade. Since they're post-Mech tiered, it's only appropriate to give them a buff. There are two changes that I would love to see happen.

Firstly, they should be able to penetrate through the first enemy it hits, so that it can be used as a multi-target ammo and get it closer to Explosive Bullets in that aspect. Another option would be to allow it to penetrate many enemies depending on how much defense they have. The bullet would start with a counter of 50, and be reduced by the hit enemy's defense. Once it reaches zero, it stops penetrating.

Secondly, HV Bullets should do extra damage to the first enemy they hit based on their defense, so that it doubles as an anti-armor bullet. They would do 1% extra damage to enemies for each 2 defense that they have, so an enemy with 20 defense would give the shot 10% more damage. Maximum bonus damage would be +25% for any enemy with more than 50 defense in order to prevent getting a +500% damage bonus against Dungeon Guardians. The only normal enemies to surpass this limit are Santa-NK1 (56) and two varieties of Dungeon Armored Bones (54), so this would have virtually no effect on gameplay.

So, what do you think? Feedback is appreciated, so respond to the poll and leave comments freely.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going with ignoring a portion of enemy defense this time. Piercing mechanics wouldn't work as well with bullets, which typically are fired at a faster rate. But if we need piercing bullets, why not Teflon? Seems spacey enough for the Lunar.

i think the damage boost would be nice, as a whole, i've found that the HV rounds needed a bit of love since the speed alone really doesn't help a whole lot since some of the slower rounds are actually a great deal more useful because of the buffs they have compared against the original musket round.

some rounds explode causing KB or causing shrapnel, some set things on fire, apply other damaging debuffs and so on. all of which are more useful than and are slower than the HV round. the HV round definitely needs the love :)

The piercing makes sense, it's moving faster than other bullets, so it should take a lot more to stop the bullet. I also really like the defense idea, it's something I've never heard anything like before, and I think it would fit the game just fine. The only problem I see is that they would be pretty overpowered. Maybe add a hard to get ingredient or two to the recipe to even it out.

The only problem I see is that they would be pretty overpowered. Maybe add a hard to get ingredient or two to the recipe to even it out.
It's currently the third highest tier of Bullet in the game (being post-Mech), surpassed only by Chlorophyte (all-Mechs), and Venom and Nanite (post-Plantera). Being powerful is the point, because it's being surpassed by many lower-tiered forms of ammo.

Cog.png
Ammo_Box.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
High_Velocity_Bullet.png
I'm not gonna lie. HV Bullets are my third favorite type of gun ammo (next to Explosive Bullets and Chlorophyte Bullets) which is why I think they need more love. The incredible shot speed that they have give them a distinct advantage over other types of bullets, not to mention making them a heck of a lot of fun to use, but other than that, they're just a Silver Bullet upgrade. Since they're post-Mech tiered, it's only appropriate to give them a buff. There are two changes that I would love to see happen.

Firstly, they should be able to penetrate through the first enemy it hits, so that it can be used as a multi-target ammo and get it closer to Explosive Bullets in that aspect. Secondly, HV Bullets should do extra damage to the first enemy they hit based on their defense, so that it doubles as an anti-armor bullet. They would do 1% extra damage to enemies for each 2 defense that they have, so an enemy with 20 defense would give the shot 10% more damage.

Maximum bonus damage would be +25% for any enemy with more than 50 defense in order to prevent getting a +500% damage bonus against Dungeon Guardians. The only normal enemies to surpass this limit are Santa-NK1 (56) and two varieties of Dungeon Armored Bones (54), so this would have virtually no effect on gameplay.

So, what do you think? Feedback is appreciated, so respond to the poll and leave comments freely.
It's a good idea but I like them as they are because their really accurate do decent damage and are really quick

It's a good idea but I like them as they are because their really accurate do decent damage and are really quick
So do I, but for their tier, their crazy UP. Why take high velocity when you can take homing projectiles that do more damage instead?

I thought of something: Why not have the bullets have a set value of defense they can pierce through? Like maybe start at 100, then it passes through a Possessed Armor, leaving it at 72. Then it would just keep going until it ran out of the piercing?

I thought of something: Why not have the bullets have a set value of defense they can pierce through? Like maybe start at 100, then it passes through a Possessed Armor, leaving it at 72. Then it would just keep going until it ran out of the piercing?
That might be over-complicating it a bit... :l

Best to keep it simple to make balancing easy.

I might make that a suggestion of my own at some point. But not now!
Actually, thinking about it a bit more, that could be a good idea.

I'd say that the penetration counter should start at 50 (to match the 50 Defense cap for the damage bonus). It penetrates through and continues going if the enemy it hits doesn't knock the counter down to zero or below (enemies with over 50 defense would stop it immediately).

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, that could be a good idea.

I'd say that the penetration counter should start at 50 (to match the 50 Defense cap for the damage bonus). It penetrates through and continues going if the enemy it hits doesn't knock the counter down to zero or below (enemies with over 50 defense would stop it immediately).
No piercing the paladin's armor. @asdrux

Back
Top Bottom