Game Mechanics Special Attacks

Would you like to see this in the actual game?

• Total voters

justGameR413

Terrarian
Have you ever wished you could do a really cool effect with your weapon? Like being able to dash through an enemy and slice it in half, with a character trail behind it? Or perhaps if you just started a new run, depending on what class you choose (unless you're a free-classer...)you could make some powerful attacks that need a good recharge, but it does an amazing amount of damage? This thread is an idea I had for Terraria that could make it really fun to play! I propose a mechanic called a Special Attack.

I think Overhaul has something like this for the mage class already, but it definitely could use a bit of an expansion. This idea contains SA's that would range from a Simple to a Legendary Special Attack. Each non-basic weapon (i.e metal shortswords[such as copper, iron, silver, and etc.], metal swords, basic bows[wooden, copper, etc.], and basic staffs[i.e. amythest, topaz, etc.]) will have a unique special attack.

How do we obtain these special attacks?
Special Mantra can be earned with fighting with your weapon in order to use their special attack. Each weapon would have their own bar for their own Special Mantra. Special Attacks, depending on their tier, will require a certain amount of Special Mantra to obtain before using their Special Attack, which is why the Special Attacks range from Simple to Legendary.

What are the levels of the Special Attacks?
The Special Attacks would range from the following:
Simple (Tier 0-1) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 50-100]
Uncommon (Tier 2-3) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 150-250]
Rare (Tier 4-5) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 500-800]
Epic (Tier 6-7) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 1000-1750]
Legendary (Tier 8-10) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 2000-3000]
Omnipotent (Tier 11) [Special Mantra requirement would be at 5000]
Developer (Tier -12) (These ones are for the Rainbow Tier in Terraria, it can apply to expert mode weapons as well.) [Developers can decide this depending on the weapon...]
Failure (Tier -1) (These ones usually have funny effects.)

How would this work in a Mod?
Special Attacks can be added to weapons based on their Tiers. If a mod has added a Tier for their mod, they could apply a new level of Special Attack, and Special Mantra amount. Modders could choose their own variation of Special Mantra requirement, as long as it's above Omnipotent.

How do we obtain Special Mantra?
Depending on how hard the enemy is, it can be either easy to charge up a Special Attack, or kind of difficult to charge it up.
Simple: 4-10 SM is earned each kill.
Uncommon: 16-25 SM is earned each kill.
Rare: 40-56 SM is earned each kill.
Epic: 152-180 SM is earned each kill.
Legendary: 500-625 SM is earned each kill.
Omnipotent: 650 SM is earned each kill.
Developer: Meh... idfk.
Failure: You can spam this one to your will.

What weapons have the best Special Attacks?
Omnipotent usually can't be obtained, weapon-wise... or at least not yet. So Legendary Special Level Weapons would be the best to obtain. Those weapons would be:
Terra Blade and above. (Why the Terra Blade? Because it's too great to be an Epic.)

Epic Weapons would range from:
To Cholorphyte Weaponry and below Terra Blade

Rare Weapons would range from:
To Hardmode Weaponry to Hallowed Weaponry

Uncommon Weapons would range from:
Post-Bee Weaponry to Pre-Wall Weaponry

Simple Weapons would range from:
Starter Weapons to Pre-Corrpution Boss Weaponry

Does this affect tools?
No, but it could be a Special Ability... maybe?

What classes does this affect?
All classes can have a special attack. The Mages could have cool spells while the Warriors could have special Final Strikes. Rangers could have a special arrow shoot out, or multiple arrows. This is an open idea that can be interpreted by the community, so if you have any ideas for a Special Attack for weapons that I don't list, you can feel free to share one.

What Special Attacks would you have in mind for what weapon?
Terra Blade- The Terra Blade would be sheathed into the ground, causing a shockwave to emit around the player for 45 blocks, causing 70-90 damage to surrounding mobs.
Vampire Knives- The Vampire Knives would be launched from both sides of the player, and each enemy that is hit would not only be drained of a little bit of life, but fights for you for 10 seconds.
Flairon- Bubbles would circle around the enemy, or group of enemies, and deal 80-110 damage in total to each enemy.
Meowmere- Cats will fall from the sky, and explode into more cats, three times, dealing around 90 damage per explosion.
Star Wrath- Stars would sweep across the map, then one big start would come down and explode into smaller stars, which deal 50 to 60 damage. The bigger star would deal 180 to 220 damage to all surrounding mobs.

Thank you for reading my idea, if you do support the idea, then comment down below. If you don't then say what you think could be improved. Feel free to vote in the poll! Share your ideas!

Have you ever wished you could do a really cool effect with your weapon? Like being able to dash through an enemy and slice it in half, with a character trail behind it? Or perhaps if you just started a new run, depending on what class you choose (unless you're a free-classer...)you could make some powerful attacks that need a good recharge, but it does an amazing amount of damage? This thread is an idea I had for Terraria that could make it really fun to play! I propose a mechanic called a Special Attack.

I think Overhaul has something like this for the mage class already, but it definitely could use a bit of an expansion. This idea contains SA's that would range from a Simple to a Legendary Special Attack. Each non-basic weapon (i.e metal shortswords[such as copper, iron, silver, and etc.], metal swords, basic bows[wooden, copper, etc.], and basic staffs[i.e. amythest, topaz, etc.]) will have a unique special attack.

How do we obtain these special attacks?
Special Mantra can be earned with fighting with your weapon in order to use their special attack. Each weapon would have their own bar for their own Special Mantra. Special Attacks, depending on their tier, will require a certain amount of Special Mantra to obtain before using their Special Attack, which is why the Special Attacks range from Simple to Legendary.

What are the levels of the Special Attacks?
The Special Attacks would range from the following:
Simple (Tier 0-1) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 50-100]
Uncommon (Tier 2-3) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 150-250]
Rare (Tier 4-5) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 500-800]
Epic (Tier 6-7) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 1000-1750]
Legendary (Tier 8-10) [Special Mantra requirement would usually range from 2000-3000]
Omnipotent (Tier 11) [Special Mantra requirement would be at 5000]
Developer (Tier -12) (These ones are for the Rainbow Tier in Terraria, it can apply to expert mode weapons as well.) [Developers can decide this depending on the weapon...]
Failure (Tier -1) (These ones usually have funny effects.)

How would this work in a Mod?
Special Attacks can be added to weapons based on their Tiers. If a mod has added a Tier for their mod, they could apply a new level of Special Attack, and Special Mantra amount. Modders could choose their own variation of Special Mantra requirement, as long as it's above Omnipotent.

How do we obtain Special Mantra?
Depending on how hard the enemy is, it can be either easy to charge up a Special Attack, or kind of difficult to charge it up.
Simple: 4-10 SM is earned each kill.
Uncommon: 16-25 SM is earned each kill.
Rare: 40-56 SM is earned each kill.
Epic: 152-180 SM is earned each kill.
Legendary: 500-625 SM is earned each kill.
Omnipotent: 650 SM is earned each kill.
Developer: Meh... idfk.
Failure: You can spam this one to your will.

What weapons have the best Special Attacks?
Omnipotent usually can't be obtained, weapon-wise... or at least not yet. So Legendary Special Level Weapons would be the best to obtain. Those weapons would be:
Terra Blade and above. (Why the Terra Blade? Because it's too great to be an Epic.)

Epic Weapons would range from:
To Cholorphyte Weaponry and below Terra Blade

Rare Weapons would range from:
To Hardmode Weaponry to Hallowed Weaponry

Uncommon Weapons would range from:
Post-Bee Weaponry to Pre-Wall Weaponry

Simple Weapons would range from:
Starter Weapons to Pre-Corrpution Boss Weaponry

Does this affect tools?
No, but it could be a Special Ability... maybe?

What classes does this affect?
All classes can have a special attack. The Mages could have cool spells while the Warriors could have special Final Strikes. Rangers could have a special arrow shoot out, or multiple arrows. This is an open idea that can be interpreted by the community, so if you have any ideas for a Special Attack for weapons that I don't list, you can feel free to share one.

What Special Attacks would you have in mind for what weapon?
Terra Blade- The Terra Blade would be sheathed into the ground, causing a shockwave to emit around the player for 45 blocks, causing 70-90 damage to surrounding mobs.
Vampire Knives- The Vampire Knives would be launched from both sides of the player, and each enemy that is hit would not only be drained of a little bit of life, but fights for you for 10 seconds.
Flairon- Bubbles would circle around the enemy, or group of enemies, and deal 80-110 damage in total to each enemy.
Meowmere- Cats will fall from the sky, and explode into more cats, three times, dealing around 90 damage per explosion.
Star Wrath- Stars would sweep across the map, then one big start would come down and explode into smaller stars, which deal 50 to 60 damage. The bigger star would deal 180 to 220 damage to all surrounding mobs.

Thank you for reading my idea, if you do support the idea, then comment down below. If you don't then say what you think could be improved. Feel free to vote in the poll! Share your ideas!

Nahhhh. I like your creativity, but I think terraria’s combat should remain simple. I feel like it’s more enjoyable and fun.

Reactions: Bry
I can see it now. I hold up a mechanical worm to the sky and the Destroyer scurries in. But it never stood a chance. I release a terrablade special. Then a shotgun. Then a flamethrower. Harp. Frost staff. The jungle grows restless and I prepare to do the same on Plantera. I feel a tingle of guilt, but I brush this off as stratergy and continue my absurdly unbalanced journey with the 220 hp that this "strategy" voided of upgrade. It is an empty victory.

This seems like an interesting idea, but it would probably fit better in a mod. Interesting though. You're blue now! That's my attack!

Back
Top Bottom