Weapons & Equip Spectre Helmet/Headgear - A New Defensive/Supportive Option

SzGamer227

Spazmatism

You may be wondering why I'd even want to see another Spectre headware option in the first place. The answer is simple: There isn't really any variety in the way Spectre armor is used with the introduction of the Mask. It's pretty much the same thing as it was before, except the combat bonuses and healing are separated, so you just have to switch between them. Nothing new was really added, save for the new set bonus. What this suggestion aims to do is provide a completely new option to make using the Spectre armor more interesting.

SpectreHeadgear.png

Spectre Helmet (or Headgear)
18 Defense.
+120 Mana.
Set Bonus: Magic damage done to enemies will spawn souls to protect the player.
index.php

These guardian souls operate much like the Beetle Shell set bonus does, except with a few key differences:
  • Protection is earned offensively rather than defensively.
  • Increments are much smaller, but build to be more powerful.
  • The bonus will roll over to friendly players when the maximum is surpassed.
As for exact specifications, a new soul will appear every 400 magic damage the player deals while wearing the Helmet. A maximum of 2 souls can spawn every 3 seconds. These souls will follow and orbit their host player. For each wisp that is protecting a player, the player gains +1 defense and takes 4% less damage on their next hit, as well as increases the player's movement speed by 2%. When the player is hit, two souls are lost.

In addition to providing protection, these souls will provide minute statistical bonuses, namely +2% movement speed, and -3% Mana usage, which amount to sizable bonuses when maxed out.

When the player has 10 souls protecting them, they can not gain any more until. Instead, any souls which happen to appear will seek out a nearby player who has the fewest souls protecting them. Players who are not wearing a full Headgear set can hold a maximum of 5. If there are not valid players to target within range, the soul will simply float off and disappear.

Summary:
  • Dealing Magic damage summons protective souls to buff the player, up to a max of 10.
  • These are mainly defensive.
    • Defense can be increased up to 10.
    • Damage taken can be reduced by up to 40%.
  • These also provide slight bonuses to other stats.
    • Movement speed can be boosted to up to 20%.
    • Mana usage can be cut down by up to 30%.
  • Taking damage causes you to lose these bonuses by 2 steps each hit.
  • Other players can receive these bonuses if you gain new souls when maxed.
    • The max number depends on what they are wearing.
Sprites!
<F for the fallen images from TO>(Sprites by Alpha_Steboh)
The Helmet, Hood, and Mask.
Otherwise, the Mask, Hood, and Headgear. Take your pick.

If you have comments or feedback, I'd be glad to hear it. If you have any questions or I wasn't clear on something, let me know so I can help fix the problem. Finally, thank for your consideration, and be sure to like this post if you want to show your support.

This has been successfully modded! Thanks W1K!

Last edited:
Pretty cool. The only thing is that it kinda feels weird for the armor set to suddenly have a helmet that looks like the Traveling Merchant.

neat. Really can't say much beyond that. I figure it's the summoner equivalent of specter. Right?

I remember seeing this on TO back when I basically just lurked through suggestions. Anyway, good job! as usual...

***Thread transplant***
Concerning the Spectre Mask, isn't 50% damage reduction a bit high? I know it is maximum, but it doesn't take too much to reach the tier 3 buff of the Beetle Scale Mail. I get that the Hood is god-mode, but that 40% damage reduction is nasty.
How about 40%? And I remove the damage bonus as well? It's supposed to be a focus on Mana and Defense, and that damage buff distracts from that.
Just noticed the edit too. 800 damage is something really easy to achieve. I think 25% damage reduction would be fine enough, as the Mask supports damage too.
I'm thinking about buffing it to 500 Damage to spawn a wisp, and having the player lose 2-4 each time they get hit. Sound better?

You really confused me when I noticed this is a different thread :confused:

***Thread transplant***

How about 40%? And I remove the damage bonus as well? It's supposed to be a focus on Mana and Defense, and that damage buff distracts from that.

Sounds good.

I'm thinking about buffing it to 500 Damage to spawn a wisp, and having the player lose 2-4 each time they get hit. Sound better?

Alright, but are you asking for a set number that is lost or suggesting a random pick of the range to lose? I'd much prefer for the wisps lost to be static, if you mean the latter.

Alright, but are you asking for a set number that is lost or suggesting a random pick of the range to lose? I'd much prefer for the wisps lost to be static, if you mean the latter.
I just remembered the spawn cap I had in place... you can only spawn 2 wisps every 3 seconds, do anything that does more than 600 DPS (or 750 DPS with the change) doesn't profit anything more than one that flat-out does 600 (750) DPS. In that light, adding a higher damage requirement would only hurt weaker Mages rather than handicap stronger ones, so I'll keep it at 400.

That still leaves the question of how many souls should be lost every time you get hit... hmm...

So, it takes 15 seconds to get the maximum bonuses? That's reasonable.

I think sticking to two lost per hit is fine, because you could lose all of them in just over three seconds, or seven seconds with a cross necklace. And it is pretty hard to avoid damage during the moon events and HM Dungeon, where Spectre would be used most.

I really like that hat. Would go well with the paladin's shield too and doesn't reduce my damage to crap. I could see myself using this!
Support Badge.png

Back
Top Bottom