Weapons & Equip Spectre Hood buff

Scrub McPoo

Terrarian
As we all know, as of the 1.2.3 update the mage class was nerfed quite a bit. Which is good because it was ridiculously overpowered at the time, and it's still great with the spectre mask. The only problem is, the spectre hood is now almost unusable. So, my idea is to get rid of the -40% mana damage. In my opinion, the -40% damage is unnecessary. This is one simple change that will do two things:
-Do a more reasonable amount of magic damage without making it do TOO much
-Make the healing higher because you do more magic damage, so the healing will be better.

This will bring a defensive mage into the game, as well as be a lot more usable at healing health when you're about to die and can't use a healing potion.

Last edited:
The nerf was done for a reason. The Hood is still effective at what it does, which is keeping the wearer alive. Very effective, in fact.

I understand that some people may be frustrated when the power of the gods is yanked away from them, but it's all for the sake of balance. You are asking for too much.

As we all know, as of the 1.2.3 update the mage class was nerfed quite a bit. Which is good because it was ridiculously overpowered at the time, and it's still great with the spectre mask. The only problem is, the spectre hood is now almost unusable. So, my idea is to get rid of the -40% mana damage as well as make it heal 1.5-1.75 times more health than it currently does. This will bring a defensive mage into the game, as well as be a lot more usable at healing health when you're about to die and can't use a healing potion.

It's actually still quite usable. Build some Damage up and then boom: You've got yourself at neutral charge (studying chemistry) and your damage is still pretty good.

Easy way to get around the damage nerf with the hood: keep a mask in your inventory to switch to if you need more dps, and back when you need health. One right click to change between them. Seems pretty good to me :)

(I know its not entirely pertinent to the complaint above but its what I do :p)

Well, we can hopefully all agree that the spectre mask is BETTER than the hood. They should both be as good in different ways.
Nope.

Probably shouldn't make assumptions based off of your own experience. When I do feel like going mage, the hood is nice if I'm looking towards survivability, especially with weapons like the Inferno Fork and the Razorblade typhoon. Recovers a very nice amount of health.

Increasing the damage alone will buff up the healing rate. A magic weapon at base 50 damage will heal by 6 points of health, if you remove the decreased damage, that's 10 points of health, and then increasing healing power by 1.5-1.75 will heal you by 15-18 points per hit. With your changes, this will nearly triple Spectre's healing rate as well as allow quicker kills, meaning less chance to be hit and sooner heart and star drops.

With the two stats of damage and lifesteal, when one goes up, the other should go down. That's what happened during the update we got the mask- Spectre Hood's healing rate increased from 8% to 20% but also received -40% damage.

I am not a fan of the massive decrease of damage though- feels like it was slapped on because they couldn't figure out how to balance it without negative stats. But if it remains, they should at least make the damage nerf a set bonus effect rather than the hood's effect, to allow mixed sets and to not lead players into crafting the mask instead. I mean, for a new player, if one of two options is nothing but a huge damage decrease, you probably won't pick it, right?

I was one of those who felt lost when the Hood was nerfed. Now I'm not blind anymore, if used in combination with the Mask, your attacks can be devastating, then healing, then devastating, then healing, the...

Increasing the damage alone will buff up the healing rate. A magic weapon at base 50 damage will heal by 6 points of health, if you remove the decreased damage, that's 10 points of health, and then increasing healing power by 1.5-1.75 will heal you by 15-18 points per hit. With your changes, this will nearly triple Spectre's healing rate as well as allow quicker kills, meaning less chance to be hit and sooner heart and star drops.

With the two stats of damage and lifesteal, when one goes up, the other should go down. That's what happened during the update we got the mask- Spectre Hood's healing rate increased from 8% to 20% but also received -40% damage.

I am not a fan of the massive decrease of damage though- feels like it was slapped on because they couldn't figure out how to balance it without negative stats. But if it remains, they should at least make the damage nerf a set bonus effect rather than the hood's effect, to allow mixed sets and to not lead players into crafting the mask instead. I mean, for a new player, if one of two options is nothing but a huge damage decrease, you probably won't pick it, right?
True, reading that I think I'll get rid of the +1.5-1.75 healing.

The nerf was done for a reason. The Hood is still effective at what it does, which is keeping the wearer alive. Very effective, in fact.

I understand that some people may be frustrated when the power of the gods is yanked away from them, but it's all for the sake of balance. You are asking for too much.

actually, in 1.2.2, the spectre healing was well-balanced, as spectre armor gave extremely low defense. exchanging defense for lifesteal seems like a good tradeoff to me.
i think that just making the spectre armor(with hood) give reduced bonuses(less extra mana, less defense, etc.) would be fine. so just preventing the spectre hood from giving extra damage and critical strike and nerfing it's defense would be plenty. the vampire knives, on the other hand, can be combined with strong armor, giving the player extreme defense and lifesteal. and they do high damage, with the right accessories.

Back
Top Bottom