Sprites Spectre Sealant

shobiwan77

King Slime
Spectre sealants would be another group of paint-like items, but only usable with the Spectre painting items. The difference is that they would add special attributes to the block, wall or furniture that you paint it on, but provide absolutely no visual changes unless you're holding a Spectre painting tool, in which case the sealed blocks would glow in a similar way to the Spelunker potion in the color of the sealant on them. Also they can painted on things that have already been painted as an addition to the paint that is already there. These, as usual with my suggestions, are mainly just helpful for creating traps and adventure maps. Here are four of the sealants I've currently thought of (and one that I didn't).

Protective Sealant
RwfvVEU.png

• Type: Consumable
  • Sells for 2
    Silver_Coin.png
    Copper_Coin.png
  • Special Attribute: Anything sealed with this cannot be mined or removed.
  • Notes: This one may be a bit OP. I'm not really sure, but I'd thought I'd through it out there anyways.

Corrosive Sealant
ARcwdJv.png

• Sells for 2
    Silver_Coin.png
    Copper_Coin.png
  • Special Attribute: Anything sealed with this will become like the thin ice block. When you land on them with enough force, they will shatter like the thin ice block, but it won't make them slippery like thin ice. Equipping ice skates will not affect your interaction with blocks sealed with this.
  • Notes: When any block that is sealed with this is broken, the block will be completely destroyed and won't drop anything to be picked up. This is useful for in adventure maps when you don't want blocks to be obtainable.
Mirage Sealant
ckryeuJ.png

• Sells for 2
    Silver_Coin.png
    Copper_Coin.png
  • Special Attribute: Anything sealed with this will not be solid anymore. In other words, it makes the blocks like they've been actuated, but they won't look like they're actuated.
  • Notes: I'm not sure if I should have this so that if walls are painted with this they become solid.
Smooth Sealant
UgiUwZD.png

• Sells for 2
    Silver_Coin.png
    Copper_Coin.png
  • Special Attribute: If something is sealed with this, then hooks cannot attach to it, and portals from the Portal Gun will not be able to be made on blocks sealed by this.
  • Notes: I know that having called, "slick" makes it sound like ice, but I couldn't think of a better name. If anyone has any ideas, please share them.
Purity Sealant
egGV1kK.png

• Sells for 2
    Silver_Coin.png
    Copper_Coin.png
  • Special Attribute: Any blocks sealed with this will prevent the spread of any biome.
  • Notes: @Sigma90 was actually the one to come up with this one.
Spectral Lens
RC1uqRv.png

• Type: Accessory
  • Sells for 2
    Gold_Coin.png
  • Ability: Allows you to see where spectre sealant is without holding a spectral painting tool.
  • Notes: This idea was suggested, in part, by @RealSaucer.
Recipes

Crafting Station
Dye_Vat.png
Dye Vat

Result | Ingredients
RwfvVEU.png
Protective Sealant (20) |
Ectoplasm.png
Ectoplasm (1) +
Deep_Orange_Paint.png
Deep Orange Paint (20)
ARcwdJv.png
Corrosive Sealant (20) |
Ectoplasm.png
Ectoplasm (1) +
Deep_Lime_Paint.png
Deep Lime Paint (20)
ckryeuJ.png
Mirage Sealant (20) |
Ectoplasm.png
Ectoplasm (1) +
Deep_Violet_Paint.png
Deep Violet Paint (20)
UgiUwZD.png
Slick Sealant (20) |
Ectoplasm.png
Ectoplasm (1) +
Gray_Paint.png
Grey Paint (20)
egGV1kK.png
Purity Sealant (20) |
Ectoplasm.png
Ectoplasm (1) +
Deep_Green_Paint.png
Deep Green Paint (20)
I'm not sure if these should be made at the dye vat or not. All other craftable paints are crafted here, but I feel like the Imbuing Station might make more sense because it's a bit more "magical". Also it's imbuing the paint with special attributes.

Crafting Station
Mythril_Anvil.png
/
Orichalcum_Anvil.png
Hardmode Anvil

Result | Ingredients
RC1uqRv.png
Spectral Lens |
Spectre_Bar.png
Spectre Bar (10) +
Lens.png
Lens
That's all. Any feedback would be great.

Last edited:
These would be pretty useful. I think the protective sealant should just make stuff harder to break, not completely invincible.

Also, the mirage sealant definitely shouldn't make walls solid. This would be pretty weird considering it would be very confusing to the player that they get randomly stuck. It also has a weird size, and is about 1.5 times the size of a regular block, so the hotbox wouldn't work too well.

And these should all be crafted at the dye vat.

These would be pretty useful. I think the protective sealant should just make stuff harder to break, not completely invincible.
Yeah, the thing is, is that it was made for adventure maps so that you couldn't mine blocks.

Also, the mirage sealant definitely shouldn't make walls solid. This would be pretty weird considering it would be very confusing to the player that they get randomly stuck. It also has a weird size, and is about 1.5 times the size of a regular block, so the hotbox wouldn't work too well.
It would make a block sized part of the wall solid, not the entire wall sized piece, but yeah, I think it probably would be wierd to get randomly stuck. I'll keep it up to debate for now though.

And these should all be crafted at the dye vat.
Probably, but agian, I'll leave it up for debate right now.

I can see great potential for this idea. I have a few ideas for more sealants:

Regenerative sealant, which would make blocks disappear after being stepped on or touched and then regenerate after a few seconds.

Slimy sealant, (can be painted on walls) which would make blocks and walls sticky and reduce the player's speed (crafted with gel)

Bouncy sealant, which would make blocks bouncy and bounce players (crafted with pink gel)

Icy sealant, which would make blocks slippery (crafted with ice)

Speed sealant, (needs a better name) which would increase player's speed (crafted with asphalt)

Activator sealant, (can be painted on walls) which would send a wire signal when a player touches a block or wall (crafted with any pressure plate and wire) and the sealant would send a wire signal if a player touches it only if it is crafted with a pressure plate that detects players

I don't think Protective Sealant is OP. It would stop explosions or mining accidents destroying things. After all, you can still remove it with a paint scraper, right? Also, I think Mirage Sealant should change the block to its actuated appearance, but that's just me.
Do Ice Skates and their tinkers protect the Corrosive Sealant from shattering blocks?

Even outside of adventure maps, these are some interesting ideas!

How about Purity Sealant? It prevents Hallow, Crimson or Corruption spreading into the painted block. Could be useful if you want to keep the biomes at bay without needing to dig large tunnels or place down non-corruptable blocks.
Crafting recipe: Ectoplasm x1 + Deep Cyan Paint x20 = Purity Sealant x20

I can see great potential for this idea.
Thanks!
I have a few ideas for more sealants:

Regenerative sealant, which would make blocks disappear after being stepped on or touched and then regenerate after a few seconds.
This one is a bit too strange. I dunno what specifically, but it just is. Disappearing altogether doesn't seem right, nothing should ever be truly invisible, and if you make it so it doesn't completely disappear, then it's basically the same is the mirage sealant.
Slimy sealant, (can be painted on walls) which would make blocks and walls sticky and reduce the player's speed (crafted with gel)

Bouncy sealant, which would make blocks bouncy and bounce players (crafted with pink gel)

Speed sealant, (needs a better name) which would increase player's speed (crafted with asphalt)
These seem fine to me, but I'm not sure if they're needed. The other sealants are meant to add attributes to blocks that were previously not possible.
Activator sealant, (can be painted on walls) which would send a wire signal when a player touches a block or wall (crafted with any pressure plate and wire) and the sealant would send a wire signal if a player touches it only if it is crafted with a pressure plate that detects players
I don't want to have it interact with wires. That's a bit to much. Plus that would be a bit OP for traps.
[doublepost=1477265149,1477264577][/doublepost]
I don't think Protective Sealant is OP. It would stop explosions or mining accidents destroying things. After all, you can still remove it with a paint scraper, right?
Yeah, so probably not. That was my thought, but I wasn't sure if others would agree.
Also, I think Mirage Sealant should change the block to its actuated appearance, but that's just me.
The point of the mirage sealant is that it creates illusions. It makes it so that it totally looks like the real thing so that you can't tell what's solid and what's not. Also if it makes it look like it's actuated, then it's pretty useless because you can do the same thing with actuators.
Do Ice Skates and their tinkers protect the Corrosive Sealant from shattering blocks?
Yeah, I wasn't sure about what to do with that so I ignored it when I posted this thread.:p I'm not sure, maybe? What do you think?
Even outside of adventure maps, these are some interesting ideas!
Thanks!
How about Purity Sealant? It prevents Hallow, Crimson or Corruption spreading into the painted block. Could be useful if you want to keep the biomes at bay without needing to dig large tunnels or place down non-corruptable blocks.
This certainly would be useful, but I think it would definitely be OP. Although I suppose these are semi end game level.

What about a reflective sealant that makes all projectiles ricochet?
Hmmm... I like the idea of this one a lot, but I also don't want to out it in something that would be too good outside of adventure maps. I really do like it, but I think that because only a few projectiles ricochet that having an arena where any projectile can ricochet in addition to whatever their normal bonus is, would be a bit a OP. Although, again these sealants are semi end game items.

You know. I thought of a solution to some of the more OPish sealants that you guys/me are suggesting. What if I add something else to the recipe for each sealant? The protective sealant could have five or ten Lihzahrd bricks added to it, and maybe a couple Luminite bars for the reflective sealant @Tastypastry suggested? The Lihzahrd bricks would be because they aren't, or weren't before 1.3, mineable by anything but the Picksaw. Plus the sealant is orange like the Lihzahrd bricks. The Luminite in the reflective one would be because the Luminite arrows ricochet.

Actually well I'm at it, I may as well add extra ingredients to the other ones. Vials of venom for the corrosive one maybe? I dunno for the mirage one. Souls of light I guess. Not sure. I don't really have any thoughts for the anti-hook one.

I would consider the biome blocking one from @Sigma90 if I could think of a suitable ingredient to add.

Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't sure about what to do with that so I ignored it when I posted this thread.:p I'm not sure, maybe? What do you think?
For simplicity, lets leave interaction with Ice Skates or any other footwear out of it. If you fall on it, you break it. You break it, you bought it.

This certainly would be useful, but I think it would definitely be OP. Although I suppose these are semi end game level.
You know. I thought of a solution to some of the more OPish sealants that you guys/me are suggesting.
I really wouldn't worry about something being OP. :)
E.g. with the sealant blocking biome spreading: You can dig a big tunnel, you can put in non-corruptible blocks or you can paint the blocks. There's nothing OP about painting them! Or with making the blocks reflect projectiles: Sure, the blocks can reflect projectiles to hit enemies twice... or it could reflect the projectiles and hit you! So it balances out.

Adventure mode, multiplayer or single player -- I don't really think there's a chance the sealants will be OP. No need for extra ingredients. :)

For simplicity, lets leave interaction with Ice Skates or any other footwear out of it. If you fall on it, you break it. You break it, you bought it.
Good, that's what I thought.
I really wouldn't worry about something being OP. :)
E.g. with the sealant blocking biome spreading: You can dig a big tunnel, you can put in non-corruptible blocks or you can paint the blocks. There's nothing OP about painting them!
I guess you would have to dig a tunnel anyways to put the sealant down.
Or with making the blocks reflect projectiles: Sure, the blocks can reflect projectiles to hit enemies twice... or it could reflect the projectiles and hit you! So it balances out.
Oh yeah, I was thinking that it would only reflect your projectiles. You're right, if all projectiles are reflected, it would hurt you just as much as it helps you. So it wouldn't be OP.

Also what do you think of a porous sealant? It would let liquid drain through the blocks, but block players. If you've seen my metal grate suggestion, it'd work the same way as that.

I'll add some of these ideas when I get the chance.

Also what do you think of a porous sealant? It would let liquid drain through the blocks, but block players. If you've seen my metal grate suggestion, it'd work the same way as that.
Personally, I think the metal grate (and related blocks) are better suited to the scenario. Having liquid flow through apparently solid blocks could cause confusion. Plus, doesn't the Mirage Sealant already do this? If a block is mirage-d, it's equivalent to being actuated and the liquid would flow through it.

Had a few ideas...
GtlUpwt.jpg

Pink is repulsive sealant. It makes blocks bouncy like pink gel.
20 deep pink paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 pink gel = 20
Yellow is adhesive sealant. It makes blocks sticky like honey.
20 deep yellow paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 honey blocks = 20
Blue is slippery sealant. It makes blocks slick like ice.
20 deep blue paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 frozen gel blocks = 20
Red/orange is propulsive sealant. It makes blocks increase player running speed like asphalt.
20 deep red paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 asphalt = 20
The mint one is that reflective sealant I suggested earlier.

I can see great potential for this idea. I have a few ideas for more sealants:

lol whoops. Well, I made some sprites for your idea ~:p

Last edited:
Had a few ideas...
GtlUpwt.jpg

Pink is repulsive sealant. It makes blocks bouncy like pink gel.
20 deep pink paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 pink gel = 20
Yellow is adhesive sealant. It makes blocks sticky like honey.
20 deep yellow paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 honey blocks = 20
Blue is slippery sealant. It makes blocks slick like ice.
20 deep blue paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 frozen gel blocks = 20
Red/orange is propulsive sealant. It makes blocks increase player running speed like asphalt.
20 deep red paint + 1 ectoplasm + 5 asphalt = 20
The mint one is that reflective sealant I suggested earlier.
I'll probably add these at some point. I've been pretty busy recently and only have time for commenting, not editing threads.

I really like this idea, maybe there could be some kind of sealant that makes blocks non-phaseable to mobs like wraiths!

Back
Top Bottom