Game Mechanics SpeedMineMode for Picks and Drills

stormconure

Duke Fishron
So we have normal mode (click on a block to mine it) and Smart Cursor (you mine the nearest block in that direction). But I have an idea for a third mining mode: Speedmine.

No, this wouldn't increase mining speed of the pick itself, but it may decrease the overall time to mine out large areas, at the cost of accuracy and speed. My idea is that the blocks are no longer affected by the position of the cursor, but rather the position of the pickaxe. Basically, when you swing the pick, any blocks it hits take one hit of damage. So using a nightmare pick on a huge mass of dirt, for example, would take out a big portion of that mass with only one swing. Every block touched by the swinging pick would break.

This could be used for all kinds of stuff, like clearing an area faster if you don't have any dynamite, or just acting like you're breaking down a wall. Plus it would be much more like how it is IRL.

Regarding block placement: if speedminemode is turned on while you are placing blocks, it will act as if you are in normal mode (smart cursor off).

What do you think?

This sounds to me as if it would dramatically, dramatically increase the mining speed of every pickaxe in the game. And not just a little, but by as much as 10x in some circumstances (and also funny because you would be able to mine downward with a pickaxe for the most part).

While I get that that is the point of such a concept, it seems to me as if it would completely throw off the concept of mining speed in the entire game, to such a degree that it could really mess up the early game.

Ultimately, I think this is too powerful for the currently established game.

Maybe make the picks less powerful the mire they hit? Like as they move, all touched get a yellow outline and the more blocks outlined, the weaker the pick.

Back
Top Bottom